Android Mobile - Android Auto

proeland

proeland

I would find it useful to use Emby in the car under Android Auto.

Kind regards,

Paul Roelandse

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
schmitty

It is still planned for the future. Thanks.

What about Apple CarPlay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
otispresley

Just wondering if this is something that is getting on the roadmap soon? I travel a lot for work and more of the cars I rent have Android Auto. This was one of the few features I liked when I tried Plex.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
CBers

Would love to see Android auto compatibly for audio through emby!

It's currently available in the BETA version of the Emby Android Mobile app.

• Like 1

runtimesandbox

Thanks for the update! Will have a look at this next time I get a hire car with Android Auto

• 2 weeks later...
proeland

Hi Luke,

A some, today I was nicely surprised that I saw the EMBY icon on my Android Auto display, and it worked directly, the complete database from my server at home was visible, and playable.

Yet, there are some questions:

1. I want to shuffle (instant mix), and play songs from all albums on my library, but can not find a way to do this.
  2. I drive  about 20 minutes, and when I get home I get a message from my phone that the limit of used bytes was reached. Emby has downloaded about 2 gig data.
    I don’t know what happened, but give the voice order to play music random (in dutch).
    Also my data are only FLAC uncompressed tracks, is that the problem?

Kind regards,

Paul Roelandse

Hi Luke,

A some, today I was nicely surprised that I saw the EMBY icon on my Android Auto display, and it worked directly, the complete database from my server at home was visible, and playable.

Yet, there are some questions:

1. I want to shuffle (instant mix), and play songs from all albums on my library, but can not find a way to do this.
  2. I drive  about 20 minutes, and when I get home I get a message from my phone that the limit of used bytes was reached. Emby has downloaded about 2 gig data.

I don’t know what happened, but give the voice order to play music random (in dutch).

Also my data are only FLAC uncompressed tracks, is that the problem?

Kind regards,

Paul Roelandse

Thanks for the feedback. Yes we are continuing to work on improving it.

Jbbrack03

I'd like to tack on to this request since my request is related. For cars that don't have Android Auto built in, Google has partnered with Anker and JBL to sell addon-adapters that bring Google Assistant to your car. You can use Google Assistant through voice to play audio content with one of these adapters. With that said, content has to be optimized for Google Assistant by the developer, so only optimized Apps can be voice controlled in the car. It's kind of like adding a Google Home device to the car. I'd love to be able to tell Emby to play songs or audio dramas through my Anker Roav Bolt. Here are both of the current adapters that bring Google Assistant to your car (btw these adapters work for both Android devices and iOS devices):

Anker Roav Bolt:

https://goroav.com/pages/bolt

JBL Link Drive:

https://www.jbl.com/connected-car/LINK+DRIVE.html

I'd like to tack on to this request since my request is related. For cars that don't have Android Auto built in, Google has partnered with Anker and JBL to sell addon-adapters that bring Google Assistant to your car. You can use Google Assistant through voice to play audio content with one of these adapters. With that said, content has to be optimized for Google Assistant by the developer, so only optimized Apps can be voice controlled in the car. It's kind of like adding a Google Home device to the car. I'd love to be able to tell Emby to play songs or audio dramas through my Anker Roav Bolt. Here are both of the current adapters that bring Google Assistant to your car (btw these adapters work for both Android devices and iOS devices):

Anker Roav Bolt:

https://goroav.com/pages/bolt

JBL Link Drive:

https://www.jbl.com/connected-car/LINK+DRIVE.html

Great, thanks for the info. We've already added basic playback support via google assistant. It's something we'll continue to build on with each new update. 

CBers

When choosing Music in AA, it's not split out into Album or Artist, as it is in the Web Client or mobile app.

Is this a limitation of Android Auto?

When choosing Music in AA, it's not split out into Album or Artist, as it is in the Web Client or mobile app.

Is this a limitation of Android Auto?

We just haven't gotten that far yet, but we'll get there.

• Like 1

CBers

We just haven't gotten that far yet, but we'll get there.

OK, thanks.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier, was that when I opened Emby in AA, it kept asking me to choose a server.

Can this not be a remembered option?

• Like 1

OK, thanks.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier, was that when I opened Emby in AA, it kept asking me to choose a server.

Can this not be a remembered option?

Yes it can. Ultimately we want it to behave just like the main UI would behave. It's just all new code and we haven't gotten there yet. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...