Shield Experience 7.0 brings Oreo update from today

CBers

Riggs

The circle around the logo is put there by the OS.  The only solution would be to create a solid circular logo like the other guys have.

Google "things" everywhere hehe.

No worries :)

Thank you for your hard work 

Riggs

Still waiting for Oreo to show up  :angry:

You need to be patience. I don't know your situation but i'm in the preview program since i bought my device, maybe thats it.

USA receive the update first, you know how nVidia works.... 

jhoff80

Once you get Oreo, I suggest this app for a dollar:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dxidev.sideload.channel.launcher

Unfortunately it's not showing as compatible from the web store, but it works if you search from the Shield itself.

Basically, it lets you add custom channels to launch apps.  So for example, if you want to add a separate "Games" row like the previous OS version, you can.  Or if you want a row of Music apps, or a row of Emulator apps, pretty much anything is possible.  And it can also be used to launch sideloaded apps that aren't technically AndroidTV compatible, directly from the homescreen.  Not in any way associated with the dev but I find it very useful.

Edited by jhoff80
  • Like 2

Pelon

Each app can only have one channel that is automatically available on the home screen.  So, to do that would require the user to manually approve each of those other channels through the device interface and almost no one would ever know they were there.  It wouldn't "just work" so I'd rather keep them combined in this default channel.

I am thinking about adding other possible channels for the app for other features (like direct entry to live TV possibly).  All of this is complicated by our mult-user design, however.

Does it show a default channel, and then does it allow you to manually approve the additional ones?

If that is the case, then the default could be to have a combined channel by default, and some additional optional channels for the main options - Movies, TV, Live TV.

As for the muti-user, how is that different than the current suggestion row on Nugget? Or for that matter if you have multiple servers. So I assume that you get the information for the current user on the current server.

jhoff80

In the most recent Android TV Beta, Emby now has the one default ("Suggestions for xxx"), and two optional channels ("Next Up TV" and "Live TV") that are enabled by scrolling down on the Android TV homescreen to "Customize channels" and then flipping the switch for Emby there.

If that is the case, then the default could be to have a combined channel by default, and some additional optional channels for the main options - Movies, TV, Live TV.

As mentioned above, we have implemented a couple of other channels.  This will be the first cut.  More may come in the future.

As for the muti-user, how is that different than the current suggestion row on Nugget? Or for that matter if you have multiple servers. So I assume that you get the information for the current user on the current server.

It isn't different - it is just a complicating factor for all of these types of things (content shown outside of the app).  If you have a shared TV system with your family, these default channels are going to show suggestions from the last logged in user and that may or may not be appropriate for the whole family so we have to take those kinds of things into account when designing these.  It just makes the whole thing a lot more complicated than pretty much every other app on the device which just assumes a single user or doesn't have any sort of parental control in the first place.

Riggs

The update is sttoped.

Some bugs find are this. (From the nVidia Shield Forum)

"For those struggling with the network disconnecting, we have found 2 bugs:
1. bug in ipv6 that causes the network to disconnect as users have seen.
2. bug in disabling ipv6 on shield which breaks the workaround of disabling ipv6.

We're fixing both, in the meantime, please disable ipv6 on the router side to get your SHIELD connection stable again."
  • Like 1

CBers

Some bugs find are this. (From the nVidia Shield Forum)

Do you have the URL please?

• 2 weeks later...
CBers

Just had the Shield Experience 7.01 update download on my Shield.

I'll update once the F1 has finished :)

• Like 2

jhoff80

Oh, that's awesome.  Hopefully it fixes the network dropouts I've been seeing (and yes, I use IPv6).

• Like 1

CBers

That was fairly painless.

All seems to be working thus far.

@@ebr - could do with an Emby "Latest Movies" channel please ;)

jhoff80

7.0.1 does seem to have fixed my connectivity issues. Had TV playing for 2 hours now with no issues.  Typically would've seen problems by now on 7.0.0.

Edit:  Might've jinxed myself, not sure.  Had one instance where Kodi lost connection, stopped playing, then jumped to the next episode.  Will have to monitor.

Edited by jhoff80

@@ebr - could do with an Emby "Latest Movies" channel please ;)

The default "suggested for" channel will basically be that if you turn on the Next Up channel.

• Like 1

miniz98

What is next up tv for oreo? It doesn't show any data on the channels screen or in the app. I have it enabled for home screen.

jhoff80

Basically you can press and hold any item on the homescreen to add to next up, and create a sort of running queue.  Some apps will also automatically add things that you pause in process there.  I disabled it, because it's pretty useless for me.

Edited by jhoff80

miniz98

Thanks for clarification. Would be cool if oreo showed current recordings like suggested. And maybe live tv channels.

jhoff80

Now that I look about it again, maybe I misunderstood.  I'm talking about the built-in Oreo "Play Next" section.

Emby's "Next Up TV" channel will display the next unplayed episode of any shows that you're watching.

hstamas

Should the next up tv channel update itself once you watch an episode? Mine is still showing stuff I just watched and I see no way of refreshing it?

vangeliis

@@CBers

I hope v7.01 behaves better than Hamilton's engine  ;)

• Like 1

WilhelmStroker

It's supposedly coming back in a future update according to the Shield forum. I mainly use my xbox one for Emby, but quite like the new update although the `next up' functionality seems a bit pointless.