Library contents missing, scan never completes

mickeyfinn

mickeyfinn

Hi all,

Last week I opened Emby and found that all the library contents were missing.  Attempts to rescan the library failed.  Restarting the server was successful but the library contents were still missing.  Emby server was also consuming a lot of CPU on the host server while attempting to scan.  I have had a similar issue before, which was fixed by renaming the library.db file in the appdata directory and restarting the server.  I tried this also, but the result was the same.  I tried stopping the hung library scan process in the Manage Server web utility, but it hangs in the Stopping status.  The Refresh Guide task also never completes (stuck at 65%), but will stop successfully when I manually stop it.  I am attaching the latest logs from the server.  Please let me know what to try next.

Thanks in advance!

mickeyfinn

Just to add, looks like the Refresh Guide task is running, but really slowly (it has been running since yesterday evening I think).

Just to add, looks like the Refresh Guide task is running, but really slowly (it has been running since yesterday evening I think).

Are you able to cancel that or does it remain in a stopping state just like the library scan?

mickeyfinn

I was able to cancel the guide refresh without a problem. In Scheduled Tasks it went into the cancelled state.

mickeyfinn

Still not able to correct this issue. Did the logs give any clue as to what might be the cause?

Can you enable debug logging under Logging, restart the server, run a new scan, and then attach the emby server log? thanks.

mickeyfinn

Just to add more information, the Refresh Guide process is slow, but it works.  However, the library scan remains stuck at 0%.

I notice you have a very old installation that is still based under the mediabrowser-server folder. It is probably something associated with that although I'm not sure yet what would be causing this.

mickeyfinn

I would be willing to remove the legacy stuff if that would be helpful.  Is there a way to do this without having to redo the configuration from scratch?

mickeyfinn

I installed the Server Configuration Backup plugin.  This would help me restore my configuration if I were to fully uninstall.  Would you recommend any additional steps to correct the old mediabrowser-server folders?  Do you recommend this at all?

Unfortunately it's a difficult call and I never like to suggest a fresh install but in this case it will help.

The backup plugin can help you. When you restore into the new installation I would make sure to only restore users and user data. The actual libraries I would suggest just setting up again. Thanks.

mickeyfinn

Thanks for the guidance Luke and for all that you do.  I will do the reinstall at the weekend and report back.

mickeyfinn

To report back (sorry for the delay), I was ultimately able to fix the issue.  I was wanting to avoid a full uninstall, so I tried a few reinstall options with no change.  I saw a few errors trying to remove folders in the appdata location (data, system) and manually removed when this occurred.  I was noticed when I did an uninstall with the cache removal option checked that the subsequent library scan failed on the images library.  I removed this and repeated the uninstall with cache removal.  Once it came back up, the library scan succeeded.

Thanks Luke for your assistance in figuring this out!