Odd Media Metadata?

Sammy
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Sammy

I use Plex to record for the built in CommSkip Function. I then put my Plex recordings in TV Series Folder that is included in the Emby Folders for TV Series. These recordings strangely show grouped into a show called Ip Man, a Chinese TV show.

post-110-0-64993300-1526826854_thumb.jpg

Emby Server Log 201805200736.txt

Edited by Sammy

If that's not correct, try using the identify feature on the series.

Sammy

Several different series are all being identified as IP Man. Will this fix that? Where is the "Identify Feature"?

Thanks, @@Luke

Sammy

Furthermore, I can only identify under or I can delete media under Ip Man and if I select any one of these other shows grouped within Ip Man, I cannot identify only delete media. How to fix this?

Thanks.

5b01a3bcbd8e6_IPMan2.jpg

Sammy

First I would compare your folder structures to our supported tv naming conventions: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/TV%20naming

My folder structure is and has always been as such:

DriveLetter:\Public Video\Series Name\Season Number\Episode Name S##E## (Optional Year) or

DriveLetter:\Public Video\Series Name\Season Number\S##E## Episode Name (Optional Year)

Is this not acceptable? Are dashes permitted between fields, EI \Episode Name - S##E##?

AgileHumor

Your missing the show name preceding the season/episode number.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Sammy

I'll grab one soon but here's a specific example of how the episodes are named..

Amanpour on PBS (2017) - S01E106 - Episode 106
Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

paulsalter

Does Emby monitor the folders the recordings go into from Plex?

I have similar issues because of the way Plex uses the .grab folder to temporarily record to

When Emby scans it, it assumes the show names is .grab, gets confused with this folder name (and creates its nfo)

Then when Plex moves the show to the correct folder after recording, it copies the badly created nfo, causing show names to be messed up

Sammy

Does Emby monitor the folders the recordings go into from Plex?

I have similar issues because of the way Plex uses the .grab folder to temporarily record to

When Emby scans it, it assumes the show names is .grab, gets confused with this folder name (and creates its nfo)

Then when Plex moves the show to the correct folder after recording, it copies the badly created nfo, causing show names to be messed up

The are named correctly in Plex. Maybe scheduling Emby to do the scan at a time when no recordings are scheduled in Plex would fix this issue? If Emby had CommSkip built in we could just record in Emby rather than Plex..

paulsalter

As far as i can tell, this is what happens

You have your tv shows in H:\TV Series

When you record Amanpour, Plex stores this in H:\TV Series\.grab (while it is being recorded)

Emby is monitoring this folder as it's part of the tv library, so it tries to match .grab as the tv show, and Amanpur as an episode of this, causing bad matching/missing metadata

When Plex is finished recording, it copies this file to the correct location (unfortunately Emby has already matched it wrongly, so bad metadata remains)

I have tested with similar issues on mine, and turning off auto scan fixes it (unless a recording is in progress at the time of scan)

An ideal fix would be if Emby could ignore folders starting with . during a scan, so it would not try and match untill the episodes get moved to the correct location

Hope that makes sense

Edited by paulsalter
  • Like 1

Sammy

Makes perfect sense. It least I'm not the only one here and it is shown to be repeatable. Inside the .grab folder is merely tvshow.nfo right now. What do you use to open / view an .nfo file? I'm trying to see what is inside this file.

This is why I'm thinking carefully timed folder scans can certainly help. Also some sort of script to move these files to yet another TV Series directory sans the .grab file. It seems that a tiny bit of code in Emby to exclude .grab would fix the issue. Either that or a native CommSkip built into Emby DVR? What do you think @@Luke?

Thanks!

paulsalter

I use Notepad to open nfo files

I would guess that tvshow.nfo has details for the IP Man

Unfortunately this .grab folder does get cleaned out by Plex at times, I have tried placing a .ignore file in it, which then causes Emby to ignore it, but after a couple of days this gets deleted and the issue comes back

Timed folder scans for times you are not recording would work

Be even better if Luke could somehow tell the scan to ignore this .grab folder

• Like 1

Sammy

I use Notepad to open nfo files

I would guess that tvshow.nfo has details for the IP Man

Unfortunately this .grab folder does get cleaned out by Plex at times, I have tried placing a .ignore file in it, which then causes Emby to ignore it, but after a couple of days this gets deleted and the issue comes back

Timed folder scans for times you are not recording would work

Be even better if Luke could somehow tell the scan to ignore this .grab folder

Now I'm thinking to have a script in task manager to write this .ignore file in it a bit before the Scheduled Emby Folder Scan but I'm not sure how to write such a script. My last programming class was in the early '80's for Fortran77 and although the concept is still basically the same the language isn't.

Sammy

Here are the contents of the .grab file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<tvshow>
  <plot />
  <outline />
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>0001-01-01 16:00:00</dateadded>
  <title>Marc's Grab Bag</title>
  <rating>0</rating>
  <year>1996</year>
  <imdb_id>tt0115273</imdb_id>
  <tmdbid>24707</tmdbid>
  <premiered>0001-01-01</premiered>
  <releasedate>0001-01-01</releasedate>
  <enddate>0001-01-01</enddate>
  <runtime>30</runtime>
  <genre>Comedy</genre>
  <tvrageid>10485</tvrageid>
  <art />
  <season>-1</season>
  <episode>-1</episode>
  <status>Ended</status>
</tvshow>
Edited by Sammy

paulsalter

Thats the show i see while something is recording (imdb from you nfo file)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115273/

Not sure what the item from moviedb is, cant seem to find that one (24707)

try deleting that nfo, from the .grab folder and see what you get with the next recording

I turned off the auto scanning of folders earlier and have just done a manual scan now, 4 recordings this afternoon have full metadata and look perfect

Turned auto scan back on, so will see what tonights recordings do, i expect them to have no metadata

• Like 1

Sammy

Yes @@Luke! Thank you. I guess my folder structure is fine, it is just this .grab file to be ignored. I suppose we'll have to wait until the next server update to see it ignored? Of course getting CommSkip into Emby natively would eliminate the need to ignore it as it would not be there.  :D

Sammy

Thats the show i see while something is recording (imdb from you nfo file)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115273/

Not sure what the item from moviedb is, cant seem to find that one (24707)

try deleting that nfo, from the .grab folder and see what you get with the next recording

I turned off the auto scanning of folders earlier and have just done a manual scan now, 4 recordings this afternoon have full metadata and look perfect

Turned auto scan back on, so will see what tonights recordings do, i expect them to have no metadata

If I turn off or change the schedule, will it correct itself it there's nothing in the .grab folder when the scan is done?

I suppose auto-detection needs to be off right now because as soon as Emby Server sees a change the folder it scans anyhow even if it isn't the scheduled time.

paulsalter

If you turn off the auto detection it will only fix it for new recordings

I might be wrong, but i think once Emby has metadata for something, it will not refresh this unless you tell it to (or setup autorefresh every x number of days)

I have stuck with auto scan enabled, i just look at recently added in the web app everyday and kick off a manual refresh, not ideal but its a workaround

Sammy

Okay, so how do I manually fix this? Where / what in the Emby Database needs to be deleted and re-created and what's the best practice? I don't want this Ip Man in my library and he won't go away! I deleted it and it came back. I even moved the Plex recordings to another folder and told Emby to delete the media but after I moved the recordings back so Plex could find them again Emby brought them all back under Ip Man.