[BUG] DTS no longer supported for 2018 TV devices results in no sound

FrostByte
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
IceBoosteR

This will be resolved in a future update to the app. thanks !

Luke, is there anything I can do to support you to get this fixed as soon as possible?

Starting with a feature request on Github or somothing else.

I would really like to see this "fixed".

-Ice

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
someperson

Any updates? I've been manually converting DTS tracks to AAC each time I encounter them to work around this, but this is annoying and not ideal.

someperson

It's resolved for the next update to the app. Thanks.

Do we have any ETA on this? I'm wondering if I should run a script to go through and convert every file in my library that has a DTS track to something else. Not a fan of the idea since it'll degrade the quality a bit, but it would at least put an end to this madness for now.

someperson

As soon as it gets through Samsung review.

How long does that typically take? Like, if it's within the next few days, I'll just wait. But if it's going to be a month or more, I'm more inclined to go through with the conversion.

• 2 weeks later...
FrostByte

Just a head up that 2019 sets will NOT support DTS either.  Samsung is really getting cheap.

https://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/media-specifications/2019-tv-video-specifications

Important
The DTS Audio codec is not supported on 2019 TVs. For smooth playback, if a DTS Audio track is part 
of your manifest, make sure other audio tracks can be selected.

If keying off the Tizen version for the fix then you will want to check for version 5.0.  Or, I guess 4.0 or > for both 2018 and 2019 sets

https://developer.samsung.com/tv/develop/specifications/tv-model-groups

Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but if the DTS fix is keying off the Tizen version, does that mean that fix won't work for those of us who have Samsung TVs that support DTS, but want to force DD as it's a nightmare to have to go into TV settings anytime you have a video with a different audio codec. Thats what I'm trying to avoid as it's totally not user friendly. Was hoping for a manual setting.

Could someone clarify? (don't have .53 yet, still on .45, 2017 TV)

Edited by matf

easywolf

Yes that's different and manual settings are planned for the future. thanks.

Thanks. In the market to buy a new 65" TV, following this thread. Found it on the first page of which tv brands support DTS. I think my current 2014 model H6350, 6360 actually, might have DTS support..hoping the same with the Q7FN.

FrostByte

Thanks. In the market to buy a new 65" TV, following this thread. Found it on the first page of which tv brands support DTS. I think my current 2014 model H6350, 6360 actually, might have DTS support..hoping the same with the Q7FN.

Your 2014 H-series set does support DTS, the 2018 Q7FN does NOT.  That's why the patch to convert DTS to AC3 on the fly in the next version.  Samsung has dropped DTS support in all TV sets in 2018 onward.  It won't even pass through to a receiver using ARC.

Your 2014 H-series set does support DTS, the 2018 Q7FN does NOT.  That's why the patch to convert DTS to AC3 on the fly in the next version.  Samsung has dropped DTS support in all TV sets in 2018 onward.  It won't even pass through to a receiver using ARC.

So you are telling me that my Q65FN will play dts after next update by converting it to ac3 in real time? Did I understanded you correctly? SI this confirmed info? Any idea on timeline?

So you are telling me that my Q65FN will play dts after next update by converting it to ac3 in real time? Did I understanded you correctly? SI this confirmed info? Any idea on timeline?

That's correct.  Timing is based on Samsung release of the next version so I can't confirm that.