Why isn't Emby available in the Samsung store for all countries?

eddienanousi
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

eddienanousi

Hello any news to install emby at my Samsung tv ( tizen) I am at Europe any release ?

Edited by FrostByte
title

• 3 months later...
swhitmore

The issue with that is not being able to use local apps. In Australia we have some great local apps that I really want to keep using (mainly ABC iView).

What's involved in WW availability? Is it just another approval process?

• 11 months later...
swhitmore

We are working hard to get this app released worldwide, thanks !

We are working on worldwide release. Thanks.

Nearly a year apart with nearly the same quote ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

i think they wont release anything. this post is since 2016 and now we have 2018.

They are still replying with a "We are working on a worldwide release". I mean, they have nothing to gain avoiding a worldwide release!

IQ2000

There hasn't been a single logical explanation by the Emby Team in the last two years that explains why they struggle to release it worldwide.

My guess is that the Smart TVs will reach EOL before we get anything.

Again: Dear Emby Team... Please tell us submissive consumers: Yes or No.

Will we get an Emby App?

Give us the chance to make our own decision so that we can decide if it is worth it to waste our and your time in this forums.

• Like 1

The complication has been around their revenue sharing requirement in order to release worldwide. And that's tricky for us given that the app is free. However, we have recently agreed to some terms with them and we are currently working on what they want. So we have to get that submitted, released, and then go through another process after that to add countries to the release list. 

• Like 2

We've chosen to be tight lipped because relaying too much information has hurt us in the past. Initially way back when we were relaying everything to you as soon as we got it from Samsung. But then when such information turned out to not be true, you naturally took your frustration out on us. So that is why we adjusted our thinking on this.

If everything they've told us turns out to be true then I would think a few months is realistic. But that is just a guess.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
IQ2000

I'm not sure this is a good idea.

As far as i understood every Samsung Country Division wants it's share for every Premium membership of Emby. (Not only you users pay the TV to use the platform, apparently they want money from app publishers, too. Capitalism, duh?)

So if Luke now gives us the file this might lead to problems with Samsung.

Probably there might be even some tracking so that Samsung knows how many users use it in every country. (Which should be then disclosed under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (Regulation (EU) 2016/679) or it will be sanctioned with high fines, but hey no plaintiff, no judge ;))

• Like 1

FrostByte

That, and Luke has said no because it's not open source in several threads now

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...