"Scan media library failed" on ubuntu Version 3.4.1.0

chudak

chudak

This is not an Emby issue. Do you want to know why it shows up a lot? Because it's a hard feature for both mono and the .NET Core runtime to support. Particularly on FreeBSD and MacOS, you will find lots of search results due to defects in the Mono runtime over the years with the file system monitor.

You will also find the same situation with some Linux distros as well, although not to the same extent as FreeBSD and MacOS.

I am sorry that you feel this is an Emby problem.

I did not mean to imply emby iis bad and hurt your feelings, emby is a great product.

My main reason to use it instead of plex was the fact that community will be able positively impact its quality.

Back to the issue at hand.  Regardless on the real root problem ("Because it's a hard feature for both mono and the .NET Core runtime to support" etc.) if emby depends on those technologies it is emby's problem as its users negatively effected by this.

Let's try to find usable solution.  I am so far reached the dead end :(

chudak

I actually leaning back to my initial idea (before I knew about "Scan media library" feature) - add ability to schedule additional scan libraries on command line.

If I were able to add crontab job to take of this - issue resolved !

We use ionotify and that doesn't support cifs. It's possible we may adopt additional techniques in the future. Thanks.

chudak

We use ionotify and that doesn't support cifs. It's possible we may adopt additional techniques in the future. Thanks.

It'd be great if you find a way to improve this.

I would expect more users complaining about this...

Thx

dcrdev

I actually leaning back to my initial idea (before I knew about "Scan media library" feature) - add ability to schedule additional scan libraries on command line.

If I were able to add crontab job to take of this - issue resolved !

Something like this maybe:

function notify_push {

local url="http://myserver/emby/Library/Movies/Added"
    local api_key="xxxx"
    local data="{\"TmdbId\": \"\", \"ImdbId\": \"\"}"

local response=`curl -H "X-MediaBrowser-Token: $api_key" \
                         -H "Content-Type: application/json" \
                         -POST -d "$data" "$url" \
                         -s -D /dev/null`

if [[ $response != *"ErrorCode"* ]]; then
        echo "Operation Completed Successfully!"
    else
        echo "Received an Invalid Response from Server! \n" && \
        exit 1
    fi

}

@@dcrdev i would actually suggest using our newer api which is just file path based rather than imdb based, because for new content, it's chicken and the egg because there's no file in your library with that imdb id yet. It's a Post to

/Library/Media/Updated

with the json body being an array of:

public class MediaUpdateInfo
    {
        public string Path { get; set; }

// Created, Modified, Deleted
        public string UpdateType { get; set; }
    }

The api you're mentioning I only added a long time ago because it was the only way I was going to be able to get sickbeard developers to integrate with us. This one is the way forward.

dcrdev

@@dcrdev i would actually suggest using our newer api which is just file path based rather than imdb based, because for new content, it's chicken and the egg because there's no file in your library with that imdb id yet. It's a Post to

/Library/Media/Updated

with the json body being an array of:

public class MediaUpdateInfo
    {
        public string Path { get; set; }

// Created, Modified, Deleted
        public string UpdateType { get; set; }
    }

The api you're mentioning I only added a long time ago because it was the only way I was going to be able to get sickbeard developers to integrate with us. This one is the way forward.

Fair enough I don't use the above anymore anyway I just ripped it from an old script I wrote in the hopes it would be of some help. Funny you mention it - I think I ripped it out the sickbeard source code to begin with.

Yea i kind of had to do it their way in order to get them to work with us. I never liked that method though. Thanks.

chudak

It will take a little more time and research. Thanks.

Well let's say 'in the near future', as long as it's on your radar, I'm happy :)

• 2 weeks later...
chudak

Yea i kind of had to do it their way in order to get them to work with us. I never liked that method though. Thanks.

I suspect that the fact the Roku Thumbnails plug in did not work for me was due to this issue as well.

What do you think ?

No, you'll have to refresh my memory on that, but I don't see how that would be related to the roku thumbnail plugin.

chudak

@@Luke

I wonder if I run one-liner like:

"find  /media/library/ -type f  -name "*.mkv" -exec touch {} +"

to change timestamps of all videos, will that help Emby add all them as new? 

(my testing was unsuccessful :( )

What is the chance to addressing this issue?  (ref: as you said -- "We use ionotify and that doesn't support cifs. It's possible we may adopt additional techniques in the future. Thanks.")