"Scan media library failed" on ubuntu Version 3.4.1.0

chudak

lunix33

Hey, I had the same problem, quick fix for you and it worked wonder for me:

```

# > ln -s /var/lib/emby /var/lib/emby-server

```

This create a shortcut to your old emby folder to the new emby-server folder.

I'm using a link just in case anything try to use the old path.

838Joel

After installing Version 3.4.1.0 my emby server simply won't scan/add new videos to libraries, err:

"Scan media library failed.

a minute ago

Could not find a part of the path '/var/lib/emby-server/root/default/Movies'."

Any clues how to fix it ?

Thx

Hi Chudak,

I dig around the same trouble here.... some configuration files point to /var/lib/emby and some /var/lib/emby-server, etc....

The best way I was able to fix that, was to make a symbolic link to /var/lib/emby, so what ever configuration file point to, it will get there!

838Joel

Hey, I had the same problem, quick fix for you and it worked wonder for me:

```

# > ln -s /var/lib/emby /var/lib/emby-server

```

This create a shortcut to your old emby folder to the new emby-server folder.

I'm using a link just in case anything try to use the old path.

gezz Just saw your post lunix33, you where 45 minutes faster then me ;)

Edited by 838Joel

chudak

Hi Chudak,

I dig around the same trouble here.... some configuration files point to /var/lib/emby and some /var/lib/emby-server, etc....

The best way I was able to fix that, was to make a symbolic link to /var/lib/emby, so what ever configuration file point to, it will get there!

I fixed the issue by wiping out the legacy install and installing a new one :)

I think your digging can be helpful to upgrade process fixing...

TheBrainninja

Hey Chudak-

FWIW - I got the exact same original error you were getting after I removed the deprecated repo v3.3 and installed the active RPM v3.4.

The key for me was to do four things:

1. Rename /var/lib/emby-server to /var/lib/emby.

2. Remove 3.3 completely then install 3.4 from the RPM.

3. Change the owner of all my media folders to emby.

4. Remove each library then re-add it.

Now, note: When I hit OK after adding my new library with my existing folders, it usually gave me an error that said it had some problem adding the library. However....

The library is there.

Just back out to the main Library screen and hit Refresh. You'll notice your newly added library. Then run a full library scan. Mine is just about done but it seems to be doing good so far in that I won't have to manually modify things that I had painstakingly modified. God bless the Backup plugin!

Regarding selection saving, you may want to try doing that after you run a full, complete and successful library scan. You won't see an OK/Save button at the bottom in the dialog but it saves the settings for me now after I back out of it when that library's scan was complete.

-gabe

UPDATE: Scan is complete and things are looking better than I thought. Only thing I am noticing so far is that the metadata changes I made (custom photos, character name corrections, etc.) didn't stick. But that doesn't have me too worried. I'll just handle those as they come up on a case-by-case basis. Custom artwork (like logos)  and themes are still there.

Okay so, I have some questions about this, as I also have a lot of custom definitions in my various libraries - are you adding new libraries while your old libraries still exist? Or how are you not losing your custom definitions? My understanding is that the backup utility doesn't back up library definitions at all. I believe I am having the exact same issue as you, and I've done every step other than re-creating my libraries on my own. I just want to make sure before I break something worse than it already is!

Edit: I added a second instance of one of my libraries, and it had the same content/metadata as the first. I removed the first library, and then the second lost all of its associations! Very disheartening. The new library scans correctly and lets me modify its settings (real-time monitoring ahoy), but...I have a lot of work to do to get it back where I need it.

Edited by TheBrainninja

Servman

I have the same issue with emby and the web GUI after upgrading to the new version, will the upgrade be like this from now on or change back to the repo? And it sounds like the best way to fix this is a fresh install, so annoying and I just finished a fresh new install of my media server.

I think that better communication would have been better, in future.

Edited by Servman

We will be continuing to publish the standalone .deb packages. We may at some point setup a repository for them.

zenwryly

For anyone who was using the old OpenSUSE APT repository and would like to keep using APT to keep their Emby server's up to date, I've built a simple utility that builds a simple APT repository from the official Emby *.deb releases.  Let me know if you have any issues.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
chudak

@@Luke and all!

"Enable real time monitoring" issue when library does not get scanned automatically is still present.

And I am still looking forward to next release.

Wonder if you were able to find a culprit?

No, it looks runtime related, but the next release has updated to .NET Core 2.1 so we can re-evaluate with that. Thanks.

tdiguy

For anyone who was using the old OpenSUSE APT repository and would like to keep using APT to keep their Emby server's up to date, I've built a simple utility that builds a simple APT repository from the official Emby *.deb releases.  Let me know if you have any issues.

If you really want to help others out it might be a good idea to start a whole new topic with this apt repository thing and give brief instruction on how to use it. Something with a title of how to update from emby 3.3* to newer release. If this works well it might be good for emby to make it a sticky and or part of official instruction.

I have not used it so i cant say much on it but it seems like it might eliminate some confusion and headaches.

• 4 weeks later...
chudak

No, it looks runtime related, but the next release has updated to .NET Core 2.1 so we can re-evaluate with that. Thanks.

@Luke is this expected to be fixed in Version 3.5.0.0 ?

(so far it does not look like it)

• 2 weeks later...
chudak

Server log of an example?

@@Luke

Still digging into this, I see in logs:

2018-07-28 08:23:00.966 Error LibraryMonitor: Error in Directory watcher for: /media/seagatecentral/Public/Videos	*** Error Report ***	Version: 3.5.1.0	Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -restartexitcode 3 -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_amd64.deb	Operating system: Unix 4.15.0.29	64-Bit OS: True	64-Bit Process: True	User Interactive: True	Processor count: 4	Program data path: /var/lib/emby	Application directory: /opt/emby-server/system	System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/media/seagatecentral/Public/Videos/Test_Video.DD5.1.H265-d3g' is denied. ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied	   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---	System.UnauthorizedAccessException	No Stack Trace Available	InnerException: System.IO.IOException	System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

So behavior of this problem did not change: on new dir/movie addition emby server scan does not automatically adds it, but on manual scan it works.

What would you be looking for in logs trying to reproduce this ?  Will scan log anything on successful run ?

Thx

That is a permissions problem that you will need to resolve. That is also associated with the real-time monitor and not the library scan.

chudak

That is a permissions problem that you will need to resolve. That is also associated with the real-time monitor and not the library scan.

I have now:

stat -c %a /media/seagatecentral/Public/Videos

stat  /media/seagatecentral/Public/Videos

File: '/media/seagatecentral/Public/Videos'

Size: 0             Blocks: 0          IO Block: 16384  directory

Device: 33h/51d    Inode: 20889633    Links: 57

Access: (2777/drwxrwsrwx)  Uid: ( 1000/   chudak)   Gid: ( 1000/   chudak)

Access: 2018-07-28 08:24:15.429707700 -0700

Modify: 2018-07-28 08:24:10.059708000 -0700

Change: 2018-07-28 08:24:10.059708000 -0700

Birth: -

What does emby need ?

Why would it work 2d time ?

Again, the real-time monitor has nothing to do with the library scan.

chudak

do you see permissions problems ?

ls -hlpa /media/seagatecentral/Public/Videos
total 4.5G
drwxrwsrwx+ 57 chudak chudak    0 Jul 28 08:24 ./
drwxrwsrwx+ 27 chudak chudak    0 Jul 28 08:42 ../
drwxrwxrwx+  3 chudak chudak    0 Jul 17 20:25 a.mighty.wind.2003.720p.bluray.x264-amiable/
drwxrwxrwx+  3 chudak chudak    0 Jul 18 00:58 A.Quiet.Place.2018.BluRay.1080p.DTS-HD.MA.7.1.x264.1-LEGi0N/

That would seem to be fine with me but I don't know the specifics of your personal environment.

chudak

If you search for "Error LibraryMonitor: Error in Directory watcher" you'd see lots of uses having this error and no concrete resolution.

Feels like emby issue to me.

This is not an Emby issue. Do you want to know why it shows up a lot? Because it's a hard feature for both mono and the .NET Core runtime to support. Particularly on FreeBSD and MacOS, you will find lots of search results due to defects in the Mono runtime over the years with the file system monitor.

You will also find the same situation with some Linux distros as well, although not to the same extent as FreeBSD and MacOS.

I am sorry that you feel this is an Emby problem.