3.4.0.0 crashing SEGV

frankw

frankw

So took the plunge and upgraded from most recent stable (3.3.1?) to 3.4.0.0...

Firstly, there is some issue with the unit file being masked after install, not quite sure what. Seemed to be ok after "systemctl enable emby-server".

root@media:/var/lib/emby-server# dpkg -i /home/frank/emby-server-deb_3.4.0.0_amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package emby-server.
(Reading database ... 141921 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../emby-server-deb_3.4.0.0_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking emby-server (3.4.0.0) ...
Setting up emby-server (3.4.0.0) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/emby-server.conf ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init/emby-server.conf ...
Synchronizing state of emby-server.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable emby-server
Failed to enable unit: Unit file /etc/systemd/system/emby-server.service is masked.
Failed to start emby-server.service: Unit emby-server.service is masked.
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.26-0ubuntu2.1) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-20) ...
root@media:/var/lib/emby-server# service emby-server status
● emby-server.service
   Loaded: masked (/dev/null; bad)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2018-05-03 11:21:44 EDT; 43s ago
 Main PID: 18621 (code=exited, status=143)
      CPU: 30ms

Now running into a random crash, logs attached. Also got this output from systemd:

root@media:/var/lib/emby-server# service emby-server status
● emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just about every device.
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: signal) since Thu 2018-05-03 11:45:36 EDT; 1min 9s ago
  Process: 11966 ExecStart=/opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server (code=killed, signal=SEGV)
 Main PID: 11966 (code=killed, signal=SEGV)
      CPU: 32.868s

May 03 11:30:04 media emby-server[11966]: Info App: Sqlite compiler options: COMPILER=gcc-6.3.0,ENABLE_COLUMN_METADATA,ENABLE_DBSTAT_VTAB,ENABLE_FTS3,ENABLE_FTS
May 03 11:30:04 media emby-server[11966]: Info App: Default journal_mode for /var/lib/emby/data/sync14.db is wal
May 03 11:30:04 media emby-server[11966]: Info App: PRAGMA synchronous=1
May 03 11:30:04 media emby-server[11966]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncManagerEntryPoint. Duration: 0.0103976 seconds
May 03 11:30:04 media emby-server[11966]: Info App: Starting entry point Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint
May 03 11:30:04 media emby-server[11966]: Info App: Entry point completed: Emby.Server.Sync.SyncNotificationEntryPoint. Duration: 0.0006909 seconds
May 03 11:30:04 media emby-server[11966]: Info App: All entry points have started
May 03 11:45:36 media systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=killed, status=11/SEGV
May 03 11:45:36 media systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
May 03 11:45:36 media systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal'.

Seem to be able to trigger it just by clicking on some media that does not have images displaying in the Web UI.

embyserver-63660944823.txt

Edited by frankw

That's strange. Nothing obvious there. What were you about to try and play?

frankw

Hey Luke, it can be reproduced any time you open a new file that does not yet have a thumbnail. I have tried opening multiple TV episodes via the WebUI of different types/shows/codecs, and it segfaults immediately if they are new, but anything downloaded prior to the upgrade works fine.

embyserver-63660960979.txt

frankw

Was fixed by removing all configured library locations, re-adding from scratch and doing a full library scan.

Interesting, thanks for the feedback. Did you attempt to migrate from the legacy installation to this?

frankw

No, I uninstalled the old opensuse version as per some notes I read on the forum, and then installed the new deb package from github as per the instructions on the website.

Hi,

I have exactly the same behavior, Each time I click on a file without a thumbnail, Emby exits via Segfault, nothing on embylog, only a message in syslog

May  4 08:57:55 kernel: [66067.166100] EmbyServer[20501]: segfault at 0 ip 00007fc653c32ee0 sp 00007fc54dff81b8 error 4 in libc-2.24.
so[7fc653bc4000+195000]

for your information, I was on the legacy system until version 3.3.1 and to install 3.4.0 I moved to the new installation system.

I have uninstalled emby, purge it and delete /var/lib/emby-server.

after installation via dpkg connection via http, enter my key, installed the backup plugin, and restore the last backup, and do a full scan.

Do I have to remove all configured locations, re add them and do a full scan again ?

Thanks,

frankw

Do I have to remove all configured locations, re add them and do a full scan again ?

That's what worked for me

Not for me :( not sure that the backup is compatible between the legacy install and the new one.

I had to purge again emby, and limit the restore from the backup plug-in to the strict minimum (users only) and create again the configuration and the libraries.

Seems ok now.

macarrizo

After upgrading to 3.4.0.0 on my Ubuntu 16.04 server, Emby would just die. I discovered that it was dying while scrolling through the library, in particular, when there was a boxed set in the list. Also, when I clicked on "Collections" in my home screen, Emby was dead immediately. Scrolling "TV Shows" didn't cause this issue. What fixed it for me was to disable "Library/Display/Group Movies into Collections." Then I removed the "Auto Boxed Sets" plugin, restarted Emby and let it complete a scan. After verifying that I was able to scroll through my whole list of movies without failing (and without grouped movies), I checked the "Group Movies into Collections" box again and added the Auto Boxed Sets plugin, restarted Emby and let it complete a scan. Life is good again.

• Like 1

I had to remove auto box sets and remove collections, if I check or not "Group Movies into Collections" emby crashes each time it displays collections.

upgrade 3.3.1 to 3.4.0 is a real pain for me, install uninstall purge scan crash scan crash, i'm fed up with emby :angry:

Thanks to the help of another user I think we've narrowed this down:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58592-3400-hanging-during-library-scan/?p=574157

It is occurring due to having added a collection to itself, and the server gets stuck in a loop trying to resolve the items for the collection. There are other similar circular situations that might cause this, such as having two collections, A and B, and adding A to B and B to A.