3.4.0.0 hanging during library scan

maximumentropy

maximumentropy

After my server was upgraded to 3.4.0.0 this morning, library scans seem to be hanging the server.

It gets to around 65% and then the server stops responding to any http requests.  To rrecover, I used task manager to kill the two Electron processes, then restarted the server.

Server logs available to devs upon request.

Thanks!

Hi, it's most likely not hanging. Sometimes the scan progress % may not move for a little while. I would just be patient and allow it to finish.

maximumentropy

Hi, it's most likely not hanging. Sometimes the scan progress % may not move for a little while. I would just be patient and allow it to finish.

I've seen the progress stop like that in the past, but the server is usually responsive for the duration.  This is different because the server completely stops responding.  If you think it may start responding again given enough time, I can try letting it spin for a few hours.

Edit to add:  I decided to give it a try, and this time the scan ran to completion without freezing.  The server was OK until I navigated to my Collections, and then it froze in a manner very similar to before (site can't be reached, two Electron processes in Task Manager using 0% CPU).

I'll let it sit for another hour or so before I kill it, in case it decides to resuscitate itself.

Edited by maximumentropy

Brendon

I am seeing this also, first scan got stuck around the 75% mark and i restarted the server after it stayed there for 12hrs, after starting it again i just force stopped the second scan since 3.4 after it had sat at 74% for about 15hrs.

• Like 1

maximumentropy

I moved all the folders out of %APPDATA%\MediaBrowser-Server\data\collections and then did a library scan.  I could then go into the Collections view without crashing Emby.

I moved one back and did another scan, still fine.

I then moved about 10 back, rescanned, and it hung again.

I'll play with it over the weekend one at a time, and see if I can narrow it down to a specific collection or set of collections that trigger the problem.

Happy2Play

Does the Collections folder via Library have the proper path?

maximumentropy

Does the Collections folder via Library have the proper path?

Yes, it's correct.  And so far it's working fine with 4 folders moved back in.  I suspect that something in one of my collections is making it choke.

maximumentropy

I think I figured it out.

Two of my collections had the collection as a member of itself.

These were holiday collections, "Easter" and "Valentine's Day".  I populated them in the past by searching my collection for those holidays, and then adding relevant search results to the collections with multi-selections.

I probably selected the boxsets themselves and included them in an add, and Emby allowed it.

Now, with the new library logic in 3.4, this was causing an infinite loop.

After I manually edited the XML to remove these bad entries, everything is working OK again here.

Suggestions:

• Ensure that logic is present when adding items to collections that will disallow adding a collection to itself
  • Include logic in the code reading the XML to skip any self-referential items which may already exist, so that people already in this situation like mine won't get hung up.

Thanks!

P.S. I have the original problematic XML files, available to devs privately upon request.

Edited by maximumentropy
  • Like 1

These were holiday collections, "Easter" and "Valentine's Day".  I populated them in the past by searching my collection for those holidays, and then adding relevant search results to the collections with multi-selections.

I probably selected the boxsets themselves and included them in an add, and Emby allowed it.

After I manually edited the XML to remove these bad entries, everything is working OK again here.

Suggestions:

• Ensure that logic is present when adding items to collections that will disallow adding a collection to itself
  • Include logic in the code reading the XML to skip any self-referential items which may already exist, so that people already in this situation like mine won't get hung up.

Thanks!

P.S. I have the original problematic XML files, available to devs privately upon request.

Yup - this is the danger with allowing collections to contain collections...

• Like 1

Suggestions:

Thanks!

Hi, yes can you please provide the examples? thanks.

maximumentropy

Hi, yes can you please provide the examples? thanks.

PM sent.  Thanks for looking into it.

• 2 weeks later...
maximumentropy

Can you provide a sample file? thanks.

The file was attached to the private message I sent you on May 5.  I may have referenced the wrong thread in the PM I sent about the SHN issue.  Are you looking for a SHN sample?

Edited by maximumentropy

Right now i can only guess that ffmpeg doesn't support them, or perhaps the required libraries for them are not present in our ffmpeg builds. At present I think you're only going to have success with apps that can direct play these files.

• 2 months later...
jncanches

Is this problem solved in 3.5.1.0 on linux arm version ?

I have the same crash but I don't think I have collection in my metadata.