SheildTV App Too Busy Now

Sammy

Sammy

Personally, I can take it either way as none of the other apps have it - it is a design element unique to this platform.  We were just trying to follow the recommended guidelines from Google for getting the app approved.

I think its most valuable to a very first time user because it shows them there is more content than they may realize.  I also think it is a nice faster way to navigate the home screen when you want to move several rows down because you can see what is three to six rows below where you are now (which you cannot without it and, instead have to hunt).

What if we put in an option in the app to turn it off so that those of you who don't want it can turn it off?

Pretty sure those other apps have a lot more clout in getting approved, especially YoutubeTV being as Google owns them.

I can see the value in it as you say but scrolling horizontally across the My Library Row does the same thing as the Browse Viewer and when the Browse Viewer is closed you can see ahead several categories too. Having both just clutters the screen IMHO.

An option to turn it off is good or better yet to have it hidden by default with maybe just a left facing arrow on the left side to indicated that it is there would even be better. New users would see the arrow and think, "Hmm.. What happens when I select that arrow??" They click it and then the Browse Viewer opens up for them.

Edited by Sammy

Sammy

OK, I was just thinking of alternatives.

The Emby app is much prettier than Plex's.

You know me, I think the ATV app is the best Emby app of all :)

I have not one iDevice. My wife has many but me? none.

How does it look on the ATV app? How's the DVR / LiveTV comparatively?

My opinion, and this is not specific to the Emby app but rather the entire Android TV platform. I think it would be a lot easier to see what's going on from a glace if each of the rows had header text and a title underneath the posters.

I realize all of that shows up when the row is highlighted, it just looks jumbled from a glance.

I can see the value in it as you say but scrolling horizontally across the My Library Row does the same thing as the Browse Viewer and when the Browse Viewer is closed you can see ahead several categories too. Having both just clutters the screen IMHO.

I don't think you completely understand what you are looking at...  This is why I posted both my marked up screen shots and the Android Design doc above.

The side list is NOT the list of your libraries.  So, moving horizontally across your "My Media" row and moving vertically down that side list are two completely different things.

5ad10249533c6_browselane2.png

Sammy

I'm sorry. That is what I meant to say..

The thing is is it is redundant. We have vertically a list in text of exactly the same things seen visually on the right side. I don't need all this text. I can see what's there on the right side just fine and the browse thing just makes it so there's less information on the right side. Guess I'm just used to the good old movie wall days..

It is apparent that not even Google itself is taking it's own advice in the design of YoutubeTV and I can find what I want there pretty dang easy while the app looks clean. (Of course there's not as much there!!)

An option to turn it off is good or better yet to have it hidden by default with maybe just a left facing arrow on the left side to indicated that it is there would even be better. New users would see the arrow and think, "Hmm.. What happens when I select that arrow??" They click it and then the Browse Viewer opens up for them.

I don't think it is a good idea to try and re-design a new interface for doing the same thing that the recommended and provided Google interface already does :).

Why wouldn't an option to turn it off altogether give you what you want?

It is apparent that not even Google itself is taking it's own advice in the design of YoutubeTV

Their own apps are usually ahead of their design guidelines for third party apps. So it's possible the guidelines will evolve as their apps do, but at a slower pace.

Sammy

The new YT interface is horrible.

Youtube or YoutubeTV?

I don't look at Youtube proper much at all but subscribe to YoutubeTV as Cable and all the extra effort that brings is probably going away soon.

Either way, this exemplifies personal preference and it would be nice to be able to customize the screen and layout to our likes as much as possible. The only option I have right now is to parse my library categories.

Either way, this exemplifies personal preference and it would be nice to be able to customize the screen and layout to our likes as much as possible. The only option I have right now is to parse my library categories.

You are in complete control over your home screen. Have you explored all of the home screen settings that we offer?

• Like 1

Sammy

I don't think it is a good idea to try and re-design a new interface for doing the same thing that the recommended and provided Google interface already does :).

Why wouldn't an option to turn it off altogether give you what you want?

It would I suppose but there may be times to actually want it!! You know have your cake and eat it too. Just having it default to hidden on opening the app is better because then you can still use it if you want to use it.

My opinion, and this is not specific to the Emby app but rather the entire Android TV platform. I think it would be a lot easier to see what's going on from a glace if each of the rows had header text and a title underneath the posters.

I realize all of that shows up when the row is highlighted, it just looks jumbled from a glance.

I understand Google's design approach here.  The idea is that, upon first entering the app, you want to see what categories of content are available and choose one of them without being cluttered with too much information about the details of what is in those categories until such time as you actually move over to view one of them.

When you do that, you get headers and information beneath each item.

Sammy

You are in complete control over your home screen. Have you explored all of the home screen settings that we offer?

I can change the order and reduce the categories but what else did I miss? I haven't done much with it in a while because it was static mostly across apps and worked fine as is.

Sammy

Maybe I'll just put a sequence on my Harmony Elite to open Emby then Direction Right so the browse view just goes away..

Sammy

I guess the bottom line is after 4 years of using Emby we know what's in our library and can navigate there quickly without this but I can see it has some merit too..

CBers

I guess the bottom line is after 4 years of using Emby we know what's in our library and can navigate there quickly without this but I can see it has some merit too..

I very rarely go into my libraries in the app, as 99% of the content I watch, is either in the "Next Up TV" or "New Movies" rows.

• Like 1

Sammy

YouTube.

YouTube TV isn't available in the UK.

I rarely go to Youtube but as we transition away from overpriced cable tv a YoutubeTV subscription is being used more and more.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

I'd like to see a screenshot of @@PenkethBoy's home page, as I believe he has loads of libraries :)

Ha

well only have my media and continue watching enabled so my 105 libraries are one massive long scroll to the right!

• Like 1