SheildTV App Too Busy Now

Sammy

Sammy

I just noticed an update to the app on my ShieldTV. I understand wanting to have all the top level cards consistent but this seriously clutters the left side slide out. Any way to just have them across the top with the cool images I put in that still show on my Rokus and Android Mobile Apps? Too busy over on the slide out now.

Sorry. No likey.

I'm sure he just means there are a lot of rows now.

The side bar is actually really good in this instance because it allows you to see at a glance how much content there is to scroll to.  Without that, you only see the top couple rows and you have no idea how many there are or aren't below them.

5acfc898ae096_homelight.png

• Like 1

I thought you had the ability to exclude items from the homescreen anyways 

You do.  But it affects all apps.

Sammy

I like how the look is on the other apps better than on the Shield.

On the other apps it appears across the top of the screen and includes my custom images so it looks more polished.

On the Shield it is just text. I have 16 categories set up (Some mine, some native Emby) so it gets too busy in all text on the side bar. On my other apps it is clean with the images.

It would be better to just have images across the top. I don't think this would be an issue would it? The Home Screen on the Shield is set up this way for the apps so it seems the Emby App could be just like that. In fact, other apps are.

My vote goes for eliminating he side bar / drawer or whatever you want to call it and streamline it.. or make the text able to be replaced with the image or supplemented by the image. Humans are visual creatures. That is why we create icons and avatars etc..

Thanks for hearing me out.

</rant>

Sammy

I'm sure he just means there are a lot of rows now.

The side bar is actually really good in this instance because it allows you to see at a glance how much content there is to scroll to.  Without that, you only see the top couple rows and you have no idea how many there are or aren't below them.

5acfc898ae096_homelight.png

Or maybe I just need to get used to it.. LOL

BTW, how do you capture the screen on the ShieldTV?

Sammy

@@Sammy are you aware that you are in complete control over your home screen content?

Yes I am. Thanks.

Maybe I need to pare it down some or just learn to like it.

On the other apps it appears across the top of the screen and includes my custom images so it looks more polished.

I don't understand this statement.  To what are you referring by "it" in that sentence?

On the home screen, this app shows the exact same content in the exact same layout as your other apps.  The only difference is this "Fast Track" (that's what Google calls it) side bar that shows you the row headers in text when it is active.

5ad0d22def923_homeexpl1.png

5ad0d25b0e7f4_homeexpl2.png

• Like 2

Just so you know, this design isn't something we came up with.  It is the designated design approach from Google for apps to be approved on their Android TV platform.  Looks like they changed their terminology to "Browse Lane" though.

5ad0dc3fe1d1c_GoogleBrowseView.png

• Like 1

Sammy

I don't understand this statement.  To what are you referring by "it" in that sentence?

On the home screen, this app shows the exact same content in the exact same layout as your other apps.  The only difference is this "Fast Track" (that's what Google calls it) side bar that shows you the row headers in text when it is active.

5ad0d22def923_homeexpl1.png

5ad0d25b0e7f4_homeexpl2.png

Sorry ebr.

I was too focused on the slide out browse lane. Maybe have it default to closed as the top item is exactly what I'm talking about. It is/was there the whole time but my focus went to the business of the slide out browse lane. Can it default to being closed rather than open when loading the app?

I still stand behind this request for a better DVR / Guide / LiveTV experience.. AndroidTV is the best of the Emby apps but needs some improvements and then it needs to be populated across all apps!

Thanks again @@Luke and @@ebr !!!

Edited by Sammy

Having the browse lane closed upon first entry would negate its primary purpose/usefulness - the fact it shows you that there is a lot more content on screen than what you can see if it weren't there (as well as faster navigation to that content).  The only way anyone would ever discover it at that point would be by complete accident.

Sammy

IRR, Netflix doesn't do this, and I know for a fact that YoutubeTV and Hulu don't as I was just using both of them this morning. There's a lot of content in these apps and having the left quarter to third of the screen blanketed by the browse lane is distracting. Most of us want to look at pictures, fan art and cover media, not blocks of text, or at least I do anyhow.

CBers

Most of us want to look at pictures, fan art and cover media

And the rest of us just want to watch the content of our libraries :)

• Like 3

Sammy

And the rest of us just want to watch the content of our libraries :)

True but getting there without a lot of text is better. I look at text all day long both on a zillion forums and at work. I could look at a lot of text in folder structure before playback too but Emby is supposed to make it look good getting there. IMHO this doesn't accomplish that goal.

CBers

True but getting there without a lot of text is better. I look at text all day long both on a zillion forums and at work. I could look at a lot of text in folder structure before playback too but Emby is supposed to make it look good getting there. IMHO this doesn't accomplish that goal.

Can you take a screenshot of your homescreen and post it here please, so that we can visualise your issues.

• Like 2

Personally, I can take it either way as none of the other apps have it - it is a design element unique to this platform.  We were just trying to follow the recommended guidelines from Google for getting the app approved.

I think its most valuable to a very first time user because it shows them there is more content than they may realize.  I also think it is a nice faster way to navigate the home screen when you want to move several rows down because you can see what is three to six rows below where you are now (which you cannot without it and, instead have to hunt).

What if we put in an option in the app to turn it off so that those of you who don't want it can turn it off?

• Like 1

CBers

What if we put in an option in the app to turn it off so that those of you who don't want it can turn it off?

Another option :)

Could you make it narrower?

• Like 1

Could you make it narrower?

Sorry, no.  If anything, it needs to be wider because some library names already don't fit (Plex's version is wider...).

Sammy

Can you take a screenshot of your homescreen and post it here please, so that we can visualise your issues.

It looks like @@ebr 's but I have 16 Categories. I'll do it anyhow but it's going to be a while.

CBers

Sorry, no. If anything, it needs to be wider because some library names already don't fit (Plex's version is wider...).

OK, I was just thinking of alternatives.

The Emby app is much prettier than Plex's.

You know me, I think the ATV app is the best Emby app of all :)

• Like 1