New ServerWMC Update 3/27/2018

Sammy

Perhaps tomorrow or sometime early this coming week I'll clone my Emby Virtual Machine (A VM running on ESXi with the libraries pointed at a custom NAS via network paths) and install the beta over it, give it a try and capture logs.   I run a standalone Windows 7, Windows Media Center box with ServerWMC a pair of Ceton CableCard tuners and about 3TB of recorded TV to test the plugin against.

With a clone, my Emby premier key will end up being on both VM's, is that going to be a huge problem?  Should I remove the key from the beta VM, if so should I do that before I reconnect the network adapter (to avoid phone home problems)?

Edited by lharris

I set up a copy of Emby Beta tonight and gave the new ServerWMC plugin a try.  Unfortunately it still didn't work, I'll outline everything I did below. 

Environment and Setup

• Cloned our current Emby VM to a new VM. 
  • Dropped the VM from the domain here at the house, renamed the host name to embybeta, changed IP, and rejoined to the domain
  • Downloaded the beta and installed for Windows Server - Version  3.6.0.76, let all the plugins install and restarted Emby
  • Installed ServerWMC plugin 1.1.9.0, it remembered the settings from the previous installation of the plugin (It's currently uninstalled on current server) and I verified the settings are correct
  • Added A records to internal and external DNS for embybeta and updated the config for the reverse proxy everything runs behind.   We use Split DNS in the house so SSL certs work everywhere using one URL.   I will include caddy server configs and access/error logs. 
  • Changed the External domain in advanced settings to embybeta.hnet.online
  • HTTP Server/URLS is enabled on ServerWMC 

Tests

• Test 1
    I clicked on a recorded show and received the never ending dual spinning circle, one black the other one changed colors.   I noticed on the Windows Media Center box that ServerWMC reported it started to remux a stream.  I looked through the log and noticed a lot of entries to http://embybeta.hnet.online:8096 which according to my reverse proxy configs is not a valid URL, by design....  I am accessing the server via HTTPS, why are non SSL requests being made to the HTTP port?  I specifically set Secure Connection Mode to "Handled by reverse proxy" in Advanced settings. I guess I could make 8906 go through the reverse proxy, but I don't really want the server accessible externally unless it's with SSL.

Either way all other functionality seemed to be ok... and I am not entirely sure the dns/8096 stuff is related to the ServerWMC problems as you can still see the nullreference exceptions, so while not entirely it's likely a red herring.

• Test 2
    To double check I changed the URL to it's internal host name: http://embybeta.hnet.home:8096 and went direct to the VM and attempted to watch the same recorded show I attempted to watch prior with no luck again.  Included a set of logs

• Test 3
    I checked the "Enable debug logging" check box in the Logs section of the Admin page and repeated test 2.  No change. 

Logs

The individual logs I provided were downloaded from the Admin page right after each test.  I'm including a zip of C:\Users\emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata just in case.   I also am including the caddy server reverse proxy config as well as access and error logs from the reverse proxy just in case. 

I hope this info is useful.  I am going to continue messing around and see what I can provide.  I will also make an attempt with out the URL Service on ServerWMC. 

https_Embybeta.hnet.online_Log.txt

http_Embybeta.hnet.home_8906_Log_attempt2.txt

http_Embybeta.hnet.home_8906_Log_Attempt_3_Debug_Logging_Enabled.txt

post-164911-0-67803100-1544591833_thumb.jpg

Caddy Server Config.txt

embybeta_access.log

embybeta_error.log

lharris_logs.zip

Edited by lharris

OK, so I said screw it and updated the reverse proxy to allow 8096 just for Embybeta to see what happens.  Here is a fresh set of logs as I shut down the server and removed/backed up the current set of logs to another location so that everything would be fresh.  ServerWMC still doesn't work, and references in the log to the public HTTP port aren't showing 7000+ millisecond response times, but quick ones.   I know its off topic, but I really would like to know why Emby hammers its HTTP port when you are accessing the server via HTTPS and if it really matters at all.  

Attached are a fresh set of logs where I started the server and immediately attempted to stream a recording from WMC, plus the updated Caddy config and Caddy logs, just in case you want to have a look see....

Next Step, I will turn off the URL service in ServerWMC and see if I can get it to work via some sort of direct access.   The recordings on the WMC box are allowed read access anonymously via SMB...so perhaps it will work. 

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection-63680174012.txt

Updated Caddy Config.txt

embybeta_http_access.log

Edited by lharris

One last update for the night, sorry for the spam but I am attaching a new set of fresh logs each time.   I unchecked "Use URLs instead of SMB/UNC paths for Recorded TV Playback" on ServerWMC and I verified anonymous access to the UNC path.  I cleared the logs, restarted Emby, and attempted to watch a recorded show and received a Playback error, "No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details"   I checked through the logs and didn't find anything, but there was a lot of ffmpeg probe/spamming each .WTV file so I might have overlooked something useful.  ffmpeg exited with 0 in each entry and 0 usually means everything is ok... so I assume ffmpeg can read each wtv file, confirming read access to the UNC path.

Surprisingly... streaming live HDTV works just fine... I streamed channel 649, cartoon network from WMC/Ceton CableCARD tuner.   

See attached files again.   I hope all of this is useful... 

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-edb08134-870c-43bf-b73a-91bcfcf5d84e_1.txt

hardware_detection-63680175013.txt

post-164911-0-88663300-1544597206_thumb.jpg

post-164911-0-74251800-1544597212_thumb.jpg

Edited by lharris

@@Luke

Just wanted you to know that I am not testing this right now as I'm more interested in testing the native Emby DVR with the new Guide Data but last I did ServerWMC right before the new guide in Emby nothing really seemed to change..

muranoone

Please let me know how i can do that , i would like to have a little less issues at the moment. My wife has been very patient... 

Thanks in advance.

Robert

muranoone

Please let me know how i can do that , i would like to have a little less issues at the moment. My wife has been very patient... 

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Roll back to 3.3.1.0

I get that but am also tired of the limitations of WMC. Emby DVR is getting mighty close in the next server release, which will leave me many releases behind on Emby. I want to stay current with it.

muranoone

I use WMC to RecTV ETH6 Ceton No issues .. only issues i have is the RecordedTV via the "ServerWMC Recorded TV"  Folder does not stream to any browser local or remote and no stream to Apple TV 4K locally, which handles media beautifuly via the Emby app when it works properly.  

I would like to back down to  3.3.1.0 if possible please! 

Thanks 

again!

d00zah

I use WMC to RecTV ETH6 Ceton No issues .. only issues i have is the RecordedTV via the "ServerWMC Recorded TV"  Folder does not stream to any browser local or remote and no stream to Apple TV 4K locally, which handles media beautifuly via the Emby app when it works properly.  

I would like to back down to  3.3.1.0 if possible please! 

Thanks 

again!]

I use a similar setup... have you tried playing from "Live TV" > "Recordings", instead of "ServerWMC Recorded TV"?

muranoone

Yes... colorful ring of death... as is the browser and 4K TV

Results. When ServerWMC folder has recorded tv the audio is described as “undefined” and that lets me know that file will not load and play. Now Its been recommended to create a new Library folder name it something like WMC RecTV and have it’s media “Type” set to “Mixed Content” or “Home Videos “ and it point it’s location to the RecordedTV folder. It works but not like we are all used to.

The Audio information is defined correctly videos play beautifully, but... the way it’s managed is not how we Emby Lovers are expecting. Series Seasons & Episodes are not described. Sorting is ....not user friendly and hard to look at.

We have Been waiting patiently, i know Kryusty and Luke have been discussing this issue, but I would prefer downgrading in till there are fixes in the latest version of the Emby server.

• 3 weeks later...
lharris

@Luke @krustyreturns

I provided a bunch of logs using v3.6 on December 12, should be page 8.   Have either of you had a chance to look at them?   There were a bunch of posts after mine and I didn't want them to get missed.

Thanks!

Edited by lharris

We're going as fast as we can but this is a difficult one and there is already a way to access the recordings, albeit a slightly less desirable one. So that is the reason for the delay. Thanks.

muranoone

Im just throwing this out there.... would the   WMC ---> Settings ----> TV ----> Audio ----> Main Audio -- Auto Volume -- Dolby decoder setting: ....

Have an impact on RecTV files affected in MB3?

...IDK... the other day WMC Recorded a 20/20 show and it was Identified and Played Normal - Correct Audio Identification - Dolby 5.1 Audio 

Other shows that recorded same night did Not! This is strange situation. I am determined to find the issue. 

Thanks

Rob 

In this case no there is definitely an issue in the way that the server and plugin work together.

If you add your recordings folder to Emby as a regular library, then all of your recordings should be playable from there.

d00zah

I'm still trying to figure out why all my Live TV/WMC recordings are playable via Emby's Live TV section (thru ServerWMC) without any of these work-arounds. Just verified with the latest beta & stuff still works. If I knew how/why, I'd gladly share.

Note all DVR duties are performed exclusively by WMC. Just occasionally need to access in a browser/Theater & despite it not working for others, viewing in Emby thru ServerWMC just works. Let me know if there's any config data, etc. that would help the diagnostic effort.

Edited by d00zah

muranoone

I was able to get them identified normally (newly rec shows only previous are not identifiable) but i have to pin point the setting that caused it... i made few changes and it could be multiple setting or just one, troubleshooting was/is a long process..i would like to be correct and accurate  withe the solution.. but its pointing to something simple

Edited by muranoone

muranoone

5c38cb96cb5f2_HTTPS.png

I unchecked both of these boxes and things worked correctly. This is what worked for me.  i will upload logs with both scenario.