Emby adds no metadata to music collection

kgoode517

kgoode517

Hello, I am running my server on debian 9. I have had a great experience with my movie collection but I have recently tried adding my music and I notice that my server does not add any metadata at all to my songs. I have tried adjusting my settings and researching any way to fix the issue to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

kgoode517

Sure, all songs have artist and song name but I was hoping that it would scrap cover art and additional information. I do not have music brainz.

Can you please provide a little more detail? How is it organized underneath the  music folder? Thanks.

Ok at this point we do require a little folder structure, specifically a folder for each album. We are working on supporting a mish-mash style in the future but we're not quite there yet. Hopefully it won't be too long. Thanks.

kgoode517

Understood, I did not know where the limitations were. I image that takes a lot of work. No worries, I have been mannually adding musicbrainz ids to my songs. I have a new question in that regard if you have a moment. It seems when I try to refresh my metadata it deletes the ids I have added what do I need to lock to prevent this from happening and it still allow my serever to add to them with the new data?

Hi, what metadata refresh option did you use? Did you select "replace all metadata"?

kgoode517

Thanks for getting back with me, no should I be? I’ve been trying saving the new data then “search for new and updated files” then when I attempt “search for missing metadata” it deletes the ids. I’m having the most success with the “identify” feature.

But I'll look at it because search for missing metadata should not wipe them out. Thanks.

gwBGfJ8xvczHo3t

Same problem here.

Folderstructure is like

//audiobooks/artist/album/track# title.mp3

All files are properly tagged with

Artist

Albumartist

Album

Title

Genre

TrackNr.#

Discnumber#

Cover 500x500 px

Comment

Contentgroup (if part of)

Emby is not downloading any information nor using embedded tags/covers

System is a freshly installed debian 9 and latest emby server version.

Works fine on a windows testsystem.

Any ideas?

Gesendet von meinem m8 mit Tapatalk

Same problem here.

Folderstructure is like

//audiobooks/artist/album/track# title.mp3

All files are properly tagged with

Artist

Albumartist

Album

Title

Genre

TrackNr.#

Discnumber#

Cover 500x500 px

Comment

Contentgroup (if part of)

Emby is not downloading any information nor using embedded tags/covers

System is a freshly installed debian 9 and latest emby server version.

Works fine on a windows testsystem.

Any ideas?

Please discuss an example and see how to report a problem. If it's working on another OS then it's likely due to differences in configuration, either within emby server, or something in the environment causing network requests to fail.

gwBGfJ8xvczHo3t

Please discuss an example and see how to report a problem. If it's working on another OS then it's likely due to differences in configuration, either within emby server, or something in the environment causing network requests to fail.

Just redid the installation steps on a vmware machine with debian 9 and this runs like a charm.

investigated and checked the logs and it seems to be a permission problem with ffmpeg and ffprobe.

not sure, why this happens on a physical machine with same settings, but not on a virtual machine.

I am new to linux and have no experience with permission settings etc.

Also, i could not find any working step by step guide except the download page for linux server systems from emby directly.

In the meantime, i invested about 2 months to get this running, but without success. seems like i will cancel my subscription and going to test it with plex...

EDIT:

also i do not have to manual install ffmpeg package on vmware, but i have to do on physical machine.

on vmware it works "out of the box". 

Edited by gwBGfJ8xvczHo3t

Hi there, I'm happy to help you resolve this if we can look at an example in detail.

You do not have to install any ffmpeg package. I think your physical machine must be based on our older installation package. Our newer installation packages have ffmpeg built in. It sounds like you used the newer package for your VM.

Thanks !

gwBGfJ8xvczHo3t

Hi there, I'm happy to help you resolve this if we can look at an example in detail.

You do not have to install any ffmpeg package. I think your physical machine must be based on our older installation package. Our newer installation packages have ffmpeg built in. It sounds like you used the newer package for your VM.

Thanks !

Used the package provided on this site:

https://emby.media/linux-server.html

Same version on both systems. On VMware, logging in for the first time and everything is fine.

On the physical system, i get asked for the path to ffmpeg and get asked to mark it as executable...

Since i don't want to use emby for anything else as for audiobooks, i decided, that all the effort and money i put into this is just not worth it anymore...

Embook is down and not sure, when it will be back and metadata download and support for audiobooks is not quite good at the moment. Maybe i will check back some time.

gwBGfJ8xvczHo3t

@@gwBGfJ8xvczHo3t can you please provide an emby server log from the physical system? you should not have been asked to configure ffmpeg.

You can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.

unfortunately not. did a fresh installation of the debian server and also of the latest emby server version.

in the meantime, the service will not even start, no access to the web interface, nor logs directly on the debian server command line ...

also did a reinstallation with the emby beta version. same shit ...

Linux emby 4.9.0-6-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.82-1+deb9u3 (2018-03-02) x86_64

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Sat Apr  7 15:26:50 2018 from 172.16.60.11
emby@emby:~$ su
Passwort:
root@emby:/home/emby# service emby-server status
● emby-server.service - Emby Server is a personal media server with apps on just
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/emby-server.service; enabled; vendor
   Active: failed (Result: signal) since Sat 2018-04-07 15:32:16 CEST; 43s ago
  Process: 404 ExecStart=/opt/emby-server/bin/emby-server (code=killed, signal=A
 Main PID: 404 (code=killed, signal=ABRT)

Apr 07 15:32:16 emby emby-server[404]: Unhandled Exception: System.AggregateExce
Apr 07 15:32:16 emby emby-server[404]:    --- End of inner exception stack trace
Apr 07 15:32:16 emby emby-server[404]:    at System.IO.UnixFileSystem.CreateDire
Apr 07 15:32:16 emby emby-server[404]:    at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory
Apr 07 15:32:16 emby emby-server[404]:    at Emby.Server.Implementations.Logging
Apr 07 15:32:16 emby emby-server[404]:    at Emby.Server.Implementations.Logging
Apr 07 15:32:16 emby emby-server[404]:    --- End of inner exception stack trace
Apr 07 15:32:16 emby systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Main process exited, code=
Apr 07 15:32:16 emby systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Unit entered failed state.
Apr 07 15:32:16 emby systemd[1]: emby-server.service: Failed with result 'signal
lines 1-16/16 (END)

since there is no explicit manual for a step by step installation and no prerequisites defined on the server download page, i will leave amby as is and look for something that works and where you do not have to study rocket science to get it running ...

first attempt with plex works perfectly on the same system, so why should i invest more time and good mood in this ...

gwBGfJ8xvczHo3t

same problem with ubuntu 17.10 btw ...

Auflösen des Hostnamens github.com (github.com)… 192.30.253.112, 192.30.253.113
Verbindungsaufbau zu github.com (github.com)|192.30.253.112|:443 … verbunden.
HTTP-Anforderung gesendet, auf Antwort wird gewartet … 302 Found
Auflösen des Hostnamens github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com (github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com)… 52.216.97.3
Verbindungsaufbau zu github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com (github-production-release-asset-2e65be.s3.amazonaws.com)|52.216.97.3|:443 … verbunden.
HTTP-Anforderung gesendet, auf Antwort wird gewartet … 200 OK
Länge: 47747170 (46M) [application/octet-stream]
Wird in »emby-server-deb_3.3.1.0_amd64.deb« gespeichert.

emby-server-deb_3.3 100%[===================>]  45,54M  5,74MB/s    in 10s

2018-04-07 17:36:33 (4,47 MB/s) - »emby-server-deb_3.3.1.0_amd64.deb« gespeichert [47747170/47747170]

emby@emby:~$ sudo dpkg -i emby-server-deb_3.3.1.0_amd64.deb
Vormals nicht ausgewähltes Paket emby-server wird gewählt.
(Lese Datenbank ... 63977 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Vorbereitung zum Entpacken von emby-server-deb_3.3.1.0_amd64.deb ...
Entpacken von emby-server (3.3.1.0) ...
emby-server (3.3.1.0) wird eingerichtet ...
usermod: user emby is currently used by process 783
dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten des Paketes emby-server (--install):
 Unterprozess installiertes post-installation-Skript gab den Fehlerwert 8 zurück
Trigger für libc-bin (2.26-0ubuntu2) werden verarbeitet ...
Trigger für ureadahead (0.100.0-20) werden verarbeitet ...
Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
 emby-server
emby@emby:~$ sysctl status emby-server
sysctl: der Aufruf von stat für /proc/sys/status ist nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
sysctl: der Aufruf von stat für /proc/sys/emby-server ist nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
emby@emby:~$ service emby-server status
Unit emby-server.service could not be found.
emby@emby:~$