Disable Emby using pgs/only use srt?

Sizzlebox

Sizzlebox

So, I know you can disable subs entirely, but I just want to prevent Emby from ever using subtitle files that AppleTV doesn’t natively support/only allow srt files. Is that something that’s possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sizzlebox

We don't currently have that type of setting.

Any type of tool that can automatically remove pgs files from mkv containers?

Sizzlebox

Hmmmm... or, does the subtitle selection label them by type of subtitle and language? I’m not at home to try it in ATV— if it labels the kind, then I suppose I could just choose the srt file manually.

• 4 weeks later...
Sizzlebox

Hmmmm... or, does the subtitle selection label them by type of subtitle and language? I’m not at home to try it in ATV— if it labels the kind, then I suppose I could just choose the srt file manually.

UPDATE:

My temporary solution. Download an external SRT file as MOVIENAME.CC.SRT. This will force the label of the subtitle file as CC (closed captioning). Otherwise, it’s too hard to figure out which subtitle file is the right one to pick, all the internal and externals just show up as 3 or 4 all labeled “English.”

Sizzlebox

You can also make them with the language as well as the default specifier.

Sorry, I don’t understand?

Sizzlebox

Thanks, I was looking for a tag inside the SRT but there wasn’t one. Using default in file name helps. Thanks!

• 2 months later...
ddurdle

I had an issue where I had a lot of media with PGS subtitles encoded in them, but they aren't supported on the Emby clients I use.  They sort of clog the list of subtitles available (if I load external subtitles, I can't decipher which are which in the list, albeit the external subtitles will naturally fall lower down in the list). 

I came up with a "dirty" workaround for disabling PGS subtitles from being detected.  What I do is intercept the call to ffprobe.  When Emby calls ffprobe, it goes through my wrapper script, and my wrapper script will feedback the stream information for the file, minus any PGS.

I only through this together this week, and tested on my library.  

https://github.com/ddurdle/GoogleDrive-VideoStream_extra/blob/master/transcoders/emby_ffprobe.pl

I left some logic to print information to a LOG file (/tmp/transcode.log) so that you can troubleshoot any issues.  In the log, it will print all the output from ffprobe and clearly mark the lines not passed back to Emby with SKIP.

To use the script:

1) Either git clone the repository or download the one file.

2) Best way to deploy would be to locate your ffmpeg/ffprobe for Emby (/opt/emby-server/bin/) rename the original /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe to /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe.oem The script makes an assumption your real ffprobe is located as /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe.oem, so if you don't use this name or your path is different, you need to update the variable in the script.  

3) create a symlink for emby_ffprobe.pl to /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe.

When emby calls ffprobe, it will call this wrapper script, which then calls ffprobe and manipulates the output to exclude the PGS information.  The result is Emby won't know about the PGS subtitles, so they won't appear as choices.

Disclaimer: I test thoroughly and primarily with STRM content.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Sorry for ressurecting this post, but 2 years later I face the same issue.

Have a lot of media with .PGS that I'd rather Emby didn't display. Short of remuxing my entire library, a switch to not show .PGS would be awesome.