Anyone using an Intel NUC?

all4dom

Sorry.....typing on my phone. Ehs icons I meant.

If you mean the main library tiles, those are created by the server automatically.

all4dom

Oh....I have been using the same ehs from way back. I was looking on tghe fan art forum but it's not as active like the old days. Ok I'm going to remove my old ones. Thanks ebr.

all4dom

@ if I delete what I have will the new ones automatically populate? Not sure if you were able to see the specs on my mobo, but do u think it's possible I can throw windows 10 & a lesser ps? If I can do that I would & then buy the shield because I can not stand my fireatick.....tv is just not meant to be streamed.

Jdiesel

@ if I delete what I have will the new ones automatically populate? Not sure if you were able to see the specs on my mobo, but do u think it's possible I can throw windows 10 & a lesser ps? If I can do that I would & then buy the shield because I can not stand my fireatick.....tv is just not meant to be streamed.

They should be generated during the next library scan

Guest asrequested

I haven't looked at the specs of your motherboard. I thought you said it doesn't support win 10? You're not liking the Android TV app UI?

all4dom

I'm liking the ui on shield but if I can get away and just buy win 10 & a smaller power supply I would be able to do both.

Jdiesel

I have a older NUC with an Intel Celeron n3150 CPU and 4GB of ram. IMO it was just too slow to run Windows 7/8/10 for me. I don't know what you plan on using but I would make sure it is more powerful than the n3150.

You keep mentioning getting a smaller power supply, what do you have now? Using a lower rated power supply will not reduce the amount of energy used, power drawn will still be dictated by the sum of your components. Getting a power supply with a higher efficiency (Gold or Platinum) may help more. You can also do things like disable Turbo Boost, hyperthreading (if your CPU has it), undervolt, and even underclock if you need to reduce power drawn. 

My HTPC has a Intel i5 2500k in it that has been undervolted and under clocked. I use a passive heatsink on it and it never gets hot. It still runs everything I need it too just fine.

all4dom

My htpc I think is 380 & it had some type of high rating. I don't remember exactly but it was a good one. I just want sow.thing super efficient & not heavy on the electricity bill since it will be on day & night. My y hinking now is to.go with the shield but I was hoping to be able to do a simple upgrade of my htpc and have both.

all4dom

Yes windows does provide driver support...... amd do3s not. It has to be upgraded through windows and not amd.

Guest asrequested

You realize you only use as much power as is demanded? You could have a 1000w PSU but still would only use as much as your hardware requires.

all4dom

I didn't realize that. If anything then I'm just gonna keep what I have & see if I can get a copy of win 10 cheap.

all4dom

@ doofus, do you thing I could disconnect & remove the 4 separate pc fans in the case?

Guest asrequested

You still want air movement. Try one air in and one air out. Use large fans. They're more quiet.

Marc_G

I didn't realize that. If anything then I'm just gonna keep what I have & see if I can get a copy of win 10 cheap.

My current HTPC (set up 14 months ago) is running Win 10 "pro" or whatever the higher end version is called. I got the license off eBay. ~$10. Valid, works fine. Just type in Windows 10 Pro Key. Pick one with thousands of good reviews. These aren't stolen or anything, just batched out, recovered, or otherwise unused.

all4dom

Hey guys got a question. I use directv now for television. I want to ditch my fireatick on my living room tv and I was going to get the shield but directv now is.not available on the shield. I intend to go the live tv route via an antenna but that's not gonna happen until this summe. I have my htpc but it has win 7 which can not be updated so what can I do?

mastrmind11

Hey guys got a question. I use directv now for television. I want to ditch my fireatick on my living room tv and I was going to get the shield but directv now is.not available on the shield. I intend to go the live tv route via an antenna but that's not gonna happen until this summe. I have my htpc but it has win 7 which can not be updated so what can I do?

If youre tied into ATT, not much, its all proprietary.  If you have a contract w/ ATT, best you can do is wait for your contract to be up and switch or ditch.  If all you want is OTA, weigh the early cancelation fee against what you owe on the contract and decide accordingly.  Deoending on your live tv needs (which sounds like its only basic local channels), OTA is definitely viable w/ an antenna, which is what lots of users are doing.

TL;DR figure out what your ETF is and cancel, then move on if economically appropriate.

all4dom

Im.not tied in to att. I pay for directv now by itself, no contract. I can't do tyhe antenna until summer so that s why I wanted to try & figure out how I can view it with a remote. I don't like the new Amazon fire tv & so far the refurbished original fire tv's are not available yet. I was willing to get the shield but since you told me directv now is not able to run on it in stuck now I t hi k with just buying the new firetv but that model sucks. I do know i have to get away from tyje fire stuck because that thing just plain sucks.

mastrmind11

Im.not tied in to att. I pay for directv now by itself, no contract. I can't do tyhe antenna until summer so that s why I wanted to try & figure out how I can view it with a remote. I don't like the new Amazon fire tv & so far the refurbished original fire tv's are not available yet. I was willing to get the shield but since you told me directv now is not able to run on it in stuck now I t hi k with just buying the new firetv but that model sucks. I do know i have to get away from tyje fire stuck because that thing just plain sucks.

Look into whats available in your arean that supplies a cable card, then buy a HDHR Prime.  If you need pay stuff, check out Sonarr (assuming you pay for premium cable or are ok with theft).  There are plenty of way to get away from cable, legal or illegal.

all4dom

I was going to buy the hd prime when I put up the antenna and then set up to my server to feed tp.yje tv's. I know the other options but I wanted to stick with directv now for the time being but that will.not work on the shield so I guess scratch that.

tdiguy

I was going to buy the hd prime when I put up the antenna and then set up to my server to feed tp.yje tv's. I know the other options but I wanted to stick with directv now for the time being but that will.not work on the shield so I guess scratch that.

the hd prime is the box for using a cable card, you would want the connect or the extend for an antenna.