Anyone using an Intel NUC?

all4dom

all4dom

I would rather have an htpc over any of the other devices but like ebr said...those devices make it alot easier to use with the apps like Netflix & Amazon on top of emby with a remote. I am hoping down t he road emby can include shortcuts to websites so u would not have to log out of et and then log back in.....only problem i think would be a remote that would work with everything.

Deathsquirrel

I have a NUC and it's a great ET box but I no longer use it for that.   The shield is vastly better for everything but Emby and excellent for Emby.  Overall it's superior experience IMO.

Guest asrequested

I'd be very interested in your experience with the current beta version of the Android TV app with your Live TV streams.

Ok so I gave it whirl. And I am indeed pleasantly surprised. Live TV playback is improved. I haven't given it a lot of testing, but I am liking it. I really like the settings menu. Switching to remuxing through the server to enable seeking and pause, needs some work. My server has more than enough to remux fast, but playback stops and starts. And I didn't look, but is there an option to automatically switch and not have that popup? There should be, if there isn't. I'll post more as time passes, in the testing area. I should mention I'm using a MiBox3. But very nice! :)

For me a NUC as an HTPC does everything I want it to do, but it depends what you want your setup to be like and what it is used for. My NUC is used exclusively in a Home Theater and the media servers are in a different room at the other end of the house wired via cat6. The NUC is fan-less and no noise from my playback solutions.

Live TV has been discontinued in my home theater because for every hour of live TV there are about 18 minutes of wasted time of my life, commercials. As it is I have enough unwatched content to last me for years. All my TV media is Amazon, Web rips or Blu-ray rips. Even though I have Amazon and Netflix accounts, I prefer the playback from the server as I have better control. It all boils down to how you want to use it in what environment and what is your preferred media content. Remote watching and streaming through the house is not something I am keen on. Be fully immersed in the HT is my thing, but then I understand that this is now a minority usage.

One other usage for the NUC is, I have friends that stream live British Premier league games for the ACE Player. Nothing better then watching a football game (US speak soccer) on a 136" screen in HD between noon and 3pm on the weekends. Can't wait for June and the World Cup.

Edited by One2Go

And I didn't look, but is there an option to automatically switch and not have that popup? 

Yes.  Under Live TV settings, uncheck "Direct stream Live TV".

Latchmor

I'm just curious if anyone is using it as an HTPC, how is it? I'm thinking of getting one (i3) for the living room instead of upgrading my old htpc because the ps is 65w and I have an active house day and night so the main tv is always on. This would strictly be used for viewing tv through emby, including live tv and media apps such as netflix and amazon and maybe some tv through websites on chrome. My only other question is how is live tv on emby including dvr functions and multiple tuner support.

Thanks

Dom

Not a NUC but a nice wee box. I've went a bit overkill with the components but it's the server too.  ;)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/6985-show-off-your-rig/?p=511388

all4dom

I like that. No room for a bluray drive? I wish the nuc had a slot for them but they don't. That s the only bad thing about them....no dvd/bluray drive. What's the power supply on that thing?.

Jdiesel

I like that. No room for a bluray drive? I wish the nuc had a slot for them but they don't. That s the only bad thing about them....no dvd/bluray drive. What's the power supply on that thing?.

My experience with dvd/bluray drives and software on HTPCs is that they just aren't as good as even the cheapest standalone players. 

all4dom

Let me you guys a question. If I were to rebuild my htpc and all that is in there is a ssd drive & blue ray drive....how small of a power supply could I go with if I just put an i3 & small board? This is strictly foe t.v. playback and streaming Netflix & Amazon & maybe so.e other apps. My whole poijnt of looking at a nuc was because of the small power supply. My house is an active house because I have nursing for my daughter & I'm trying to keep everything energy efficient as possible. I would hate to ditch my htpc & buy a nuc since I built this thing only a few years ago. Everyone's input is appreciated.

Thanks

Dom

all4dom

My dpi is an and a8 5500 & the board is asrock fma275 pro 4m. My power supply is I tho l 380 and it's some type of green supply....I forgot what but it was suppose to be very efficient. I have windows 7 but I can't even update it so I was going to put win 10 in but when I looked up the board it said it doea.not work with windows 10. I have 2 fans on each side and they are loud but I am wondering do I even need them since this thing does.not get hot because it was only used for media playback.

Let me you guys a question. If I were to rebuild my htpc and all that is in there is a ssd drive & blue ray drive....how small of a power supply could I go with if I just put an i3 & small board? This is strictly foe t.v. playback and streaming Netflix & Amazon & maybe so.e other apps. My whole poijnt of looking at a nuc was because of the small power supply. My house is an active house because I have nursing for my daughter & I'm trying to keep everything energy efficient as possible. I would hate to ditch my htpc & buy a nuc since I built this thing only a few years ago. Everyone's input is appreciated.

Thanks

Dom

The Shield doesn't use much power at all... ;)

all4dom

Is that power supply enough to power setup? I'm still.bot even sure if I can run windows on it. Asrock website said it dp3s not.

Jdiesel

Is that power supply enough to power setup? I'm still.bot even sure if I can run windows on it. Asrock website said it dp3s not.

One of the reviews that they are running an i3, mechanical HDD, SSD, Optical Drive, and small GPU

That looks different then the fire tv ui.

The device UI is different, but the app will be pretty much exactly the same.

Where could I find those end icons.

end icons?  Or were you asking someone else?