Anyone using an Intel NUC?

all4dom

all4dom

I'm just curious if anyone is using it as an HTPC, how is it? I'm thinking of getting one (i3) for the living room instead of upgrading my old htpc because the ps is 65w and I have an active house day and night so the main tv is always on. This would strictly be used for viewing tv through emby, including live tv and media apps such as netflix and amazon and maybe some tv through websites on chrome. My only other question is how is live tv on emby including dvr functions and multiple tuner support.

Thanks

Dom

Jdiesel

I'm just curious if anyone is using it as an HTPC, how is it? I'm thinking of getting one (i3) for the living room instead of upgrading my old htpc because the ps is 65w and I have an active house day and night so the main tv is always on. This would strictly be used for viewing tv through emby, including live tv and media apps such as netflix and amazon and maybe some tv through websites on chrome. My only other question is how is live tv on emby including dvr functions and multiple tuner support.

Thanks

Dom

Are you sold on a Windows HTPC? Media apps like Netflix and Amazon are pretty poor using a remote on Windows. I'd suggest a Nvidia Shield TV personally, can do everything you mentioned above, uses less power, and your don't have to deal with Windows.

Edited by Jdiesel

all4dom

I was looking at the NUC because I like the ET interface. I know the shield tv is a very good bang for the buck and its something I was thinking about and my wife was thinking about getting it. I run tv through a firestick and its driving me crazy because the stick is shitty to say the least. I stream tv through directv now and I just want to make sure when i move everything over it does not become harder to watch tv. 

Jdiesel

I use both, Shield TV and HTPC with ET, and my wife much prefers the Shield TV. I find when running Windows there is just too many external variables that can cause issues, the main ones being Windows Updates and HDMI handshake issues. I don't mind booting up the HTPC because I like tinkering and can fix something quickly if it goes wrong but my wife just wants things to work 100% of the time. With the last few Android TV updates the UI has gotten a lot better IMO. 

all4dom

Thanks. I guess I may do d up too g that route and purchasing both, but I think the first purchase will.be the shield tv. How is the emby interface on the shield?

PenkethBoy

have used a NUC (i7) for Emby server and ET on the back of my 4k TV - works fine

but have migrated to two shields - as they consume less power - dont get hot (fan noise) - an one click of a button and its on as well as the TV :)

Nothing wrong with a NUC if you need something to do some work as well - but for a media player its overkill

Guest asrequested

Nothing will ever match an HTPC. Not even close. But if you don't have a great home theater system and just need basic stuff, shield is probably the way to go. The Android TV interface isn't as functional, and there's very little you can manipulate, but it works. For my main display/environment I will never use anything other than an HTPC. Fan noise? My whole rack is 6ft from my tv. When watching anything, I don't even hear it. But I do have 10 speakers lol. Anyway, it just depends on your usage.

Edited by Doofus

all4dom

Hey doofus.....btw I pm happy but have not heard from him yet but thanks. I'm thinking the nuc and the shield but I think im going to buy the shield first. I'm still working on my house so I may have to split these  2 purchases up. Amazon & new egg have a i3 nuc with all hardware and windows 10 pro for $499 and I probably could just build a cheaper htpc but  like the 65w power supply. 

Guest asrequested

If you don't have an elaborate setup, the shield is probably the right choice. It's a well supported device.

As for the other thing, try posting in the forums. These guys are always finding new ways to do things.

Jdiesel

I think we will see Android TV app improve even more in the next year. The recent switch to a new playback engine has it directly playing more files than ever.  

Guest asrequested

Once mpv is firmly in place, then it will have some real promise. But I still find devices like these, limited. I'm always looking to push the boundaries. I think I may be on the minority on that, though lol.

Once mpv is firmly in place, then it will have some real promise.

What advantage(s) will mpv bring over the current player implementation in Android TV?

(realize that there are actually some big disadvantages you are probably not aware of but I'm mostly just concerned with why you feel mpv would bring a better playback experience than the app already has)

Jdiesel

Slightly off topic but I think the holy grail is ET on an embedded install akin to LibreELEC or Plex Media Player. When you take Windows out of the equation you simplify things significantly. 

Guest asrequested

What advantage(s) will mpv bring over the current player implementation in Android TV?

(realize that there are actually some big disadvantages you are probably not aware of but I'm mostly just concerned with why you feel mpv would bring a better playback experience than the app already has)

It just supports more things more easily. I'm not trying the beta, but for the stable release, I'm having to enable VLC for live TV, and it just doesn't do it, very well. Using mpv, I believe there won't be a need for enabling other players and it will stream live TV, better. But you've suggested that there may be limitations that I'm unaware of. I'm always willing to learn, so could you enlighten me? Are the limitations tied to the Android OS?

libmpv doesn't yet support hd audio passthrough on android, so at the very least we would have to wait for that. For the mobile app that's not a big deal, so that's why we're able to use it anyway.

Actually, it doesn't support any audio pass-thru (yet).

Ah, then I indeed wasn't aware of that. That's good to know. Another reason for me to cling to an HTPC :)

No, not really, because the player we are using in Android TV does support pass-thru of any codec supported by the system - including DTS-HD and TrueHD :).

I'd be very interested in your experience with the current beta version of the Android TV app with your Live TV streams.

Slightly off topic but I think the holy grail is ET on an embedded install akin to LibreELEC or Plex Media Player. When you take Windows out of the equation you simplify things significantly. 

I guess that depends on your "religion" :).

Android TV gives you very easy and intuitive access to things like YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc. as well as Emby.  Cobbling all of that together in a decent interface that Grandma can just pick up and use for something like the above setup would probably be quite a task.

Guest asrequested

Actually, it doesn't support any audio pass-thru (yet).

No, not really, because the player we are using in Android TV does support pass-thru of any codec supported by the system - including DTS-HD and TrueHD :).

I'd be very interested in your experience with the current beta version of the Android TV app with your Live TV streams.

Right, that's what Luke just said, and the reason I said I'd cling to my HTPC :)

I should probably give the Beta a whirl. There's always the possibility of a pleasant surprise :)

I was clarifying because Luke said it didn't support HD audio pass thru but it actually doesn't support any at all (not even normal Dolby).

And, that is not a reason for you to cling to your HTPC because the TV app isn't using that player and does support all audio pass-thru (on devices that support it).

Guest asrequested

I was clarifying because Luke said it didn't support HD audio pass thru but it actually doesn't support any at all (not even normal Dolby).

And, that is not a reason for you to cling to your HTPC because the TV app isn't using that player and does support all audio pass-thru (on devices that support it).

Gotcha. But it still can't do what I want it to. With mpv on my PC, there are tweaks that I can apply and need, and I'm researching for more. With an Android app, I just don't have that ability. For the bedroom TV, Android is great, but not for my home theater. I simply can't use anything, less than an HTPC.

clarkss12

Once mpv is firmly in place, then it will have some real promise. But I still find devices like these, limited. I'm always looking to push the boundaries. I think I may be on the minority on that, though lol.

Perhaps "old school"  :),  I won't give up my land line either...........

Guest asrequested

Perhaps "old school" :), I won't give up my land line either...........

LMAO..yeah that's old school, alright. In my case, the HTPC is simply more capable than any other media device. It's always been the leader, and I don't see that changing.