62 replies to this topic

#41 garyan2 OFFLINE  

garyan2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Local time: 02:45 AM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:08 PM

I want to set up epg123 as my guide provider using xmltv. I just tell emby where to find the xmltv data in my epg123 folder?

What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of this vs the native guide that Emby imports directly from SchedulesDirect?

What "holes" are in the guide in Emby when using xmltv?

If using the XMLTV generated by EPG123, yes. All that would be needed is to direct emby to the epg123 folder and the epg123.xml file.

For advantages/disadvantages ... I would say EPG123 has more safeguards in place to handle SD JSON server problems that will avoid any corruption of the guide we've seen in the past on emby. I know the issue has been addressed, but don't know how complete it is or how successful it was. I also don't know how much of the XMLTV data gets pulled into emby (3 days? 7? 14? certainly not the 21 that we can pull). Another advantage of XMLTV by EPG123 is the ability to limit the channels downloaded ... not something currently available in emby let alone the custom numbering or listings.

I've shown some differences above that point out some other advantages/disadvantages.

I would also say that EPG123 has a much better channel logo selection and manipulation as well as better artwork selection for both series and movies. So a plus for EPG123 XMLTV but can easily be addressed in emby coding.

• Sammy likes this

#42 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3381 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:34 AM

Here is a quick compare between XMLTV (provided by EPG123), ServerWMC (guide by EPG123), and native emby Live TV with Schedules Direct.

5af62c99e98f7_comparison.png

XMLTV does not show 'LIVE'.

Native emby Live TV with Schedules Direct doesn't show 'PREMIERE'.

The 'premiere' can be fixed/added into future builds, but the only way an XMLTV will be able to provide a Live indicator is if there is an agreed upon method... XMLTV does not have any defined method to indicate a live event.

For actual program details, here's another comparison...

5af62f75e42bc_comparison2.png

XMLTV and emby Live TV can have random TV ratings.

ServerWMC has a 1 star rating for everything.

The above issues can be handled in future emby builds and a possible change to serverWMC for the star rating.

What I was hinting at that was missing from the emby guide is details such as Dolby Digital sound, Closed Captioning, Language, Original Air Date, Actors/Characters, ... All that information is available for the 3 methods, just not displayed.

5af631aca1ffb_comparison3.png

I guess I should also note, the next release of EPG123 will provide the ability to choose between 4x3 and 2x3 artwork for the series images. The 2x3 looks pretty good in emby, and actually does a good job in WMC as well with the Tweak WMC feature of EPG123.

I'm wondering if you and @Luke and @ebr might want to work together to improve Emby's guide?

Thanks!

#43 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3381 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:49 PM

Please!?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • JAJ likes this

#44 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 153204 posts
  • Local time: 05:45 AM

Posted 13 May 2018 - 09:58 PM

hi @Sammy, this is a discussion thread about epg123. This is not the place to file feature requests. If you'd like to open a feature request, please do so by opening a topic in the Feature Requests section of the community. Thanks !

• Sammy likes this

#45 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 153204 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:03 PM

@garyan

Native emby Live TV with Schedules Direct doesn't show 'PREMIERE'.

Yes this is supported. We do check for this.

#46 garyan2 OFFLINE  

garyan2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:10 PM

@garyan

Yes this is supported. We do check for this.

Interesting. The capture above shows Undercover Boss: Celebrity Edition with the NEW indicator and not the PREMIERE indicator using the emby Schedules Direct TV Guide Data Provider for Live TV. Is there some logic that would prevent PREMIERE from being displayed?

#47 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 153204 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:04 PM

we're just checking the premiere property on the program detail object coming from schedules direct

#48 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3381 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:46 PM

hi @Sammy, this is a discussion thread about epg123. This is not the place to file feature requests. If you'd like to open a feature request, please do so by opening a topic in the Feature Requests section of the community. Thanks !

I will do it tomorrow for sure.

#49 garyan2 OFFLINE  

garyan2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:54 PM

we're just checking the premiere property on the program detail object coming from schedules direct

Ah, I see the problem then. The premiere flag in the JSON is for Miniseries and Movie program types only. There is another field in the JSON schedule return called isPremiereOrFinale with possible values of "Season Premiere", "Season Finale", "Series Premiere", "Series Finale", "Premiere", and "Finale".

Premiere => Miniseries and Movies only

isPremiereOrFinale => TV Series

EDIT: adding link to SD's API definitions. https://github.com/S...ki/API-20141201

Edited by garyan2, 13 May 2018 - 11:57 PM.

• Sammy likes this

#50 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 153204 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:03 PM

Great, thanks for the info.

• Sammy likes this

#51 dcol OFFLINE  

dcol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1281 posts
  • LocationTucson, Arizona

Posted 20 October 2018 - 02:09 PM

How do you direct Emby to use epg123 XML's? Can you show example?

#52 Sammy OFFLINE  

Sammy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3381 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 02:56 PM

How do you direct Emby to use epg123 XML's? Can you show example?

Under LiveTV in the server choose xmltv then point Emby to the xmltv location created by epg123. You also need to tell epg123 to create an xmltv file as it doesn't do it by default.

#53 dcol OFFLINE  

dcol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1281 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 03:40 PM

Found the XMLTV file in the epg123/output directory. I pointed it to there. Looks like it updated. I have no guide data and 5000+ channels listed. How do you delete channels. I did not select them in epg123. Only have 150 channels selected in epg123

#54 dcol OFFLINE  

dcol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1281 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:30 PM

I looked at the XML created by epg123 and it looks fine with just the channels I selected, but Emby has the entire M3U list in the guide and does not include the guide info from epg123. With no way to delete channels. Emby does not look useful to me for Live TV when using M3U's with thousands of channels from hundreds of countries.

When I go into the Metadata Manager, it shows all the channels from the M3U. It should only have the channels from the XML. And the guide also shows every channel in the M3U but not any of the data from the XML. I think Emby has some work to do.

If I try to map channels, the list shows the entire M3U and doesn't have the correct channels in the edit list.

When Emby includes a channel editor like NPVR, then maybe it will be useful. I understand they are working on it. I will revisit Emby when they get the Live TV section working.

What is even more of a disappointment is the NextPVR plugin is just is for selecting recordings. I don't need the plugin for data that is already in the media folders. What's the point of that plugin?

I really do like Emby for a media center. I am just upset having to pay for LiveTV ability when it doesn't even work for me.

Shouldn't be this hard.

Edited by dcol, 20 October 2018 - 04:37 PM.

#55 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 153204 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:59 PM

When I go into the Metadata Manager, it shows all the channels from the M3U. It should only have the channels from the XML.

Hi, this is not correct. Just because you don't have guide data for a channel, doesn't mean the channel should not be available.

We plan to revamp our channel management in a future update to allow you to disable channels you don't want. Thanks.

• Sammy likes this

#56 dcol OFFLINE  

dcol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1281 posts

Posted 20 October 2018 - 05:02 PM

A very needed ability when you have lots of channels. And I hope that will also preventing it from showing up in the guide. Right now the guide shows every channel in the M3U regardless of the XML

#57 kanipek OFFLINE  

kanipek

U.S. Navy Retired

• Members
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationMassillon, Ohio

Posted 21 October 2018 - 02:44 PM

When I go into the Metadata Manager, it shows all the channels from the M3U. It should only have the channels from the XML. And the guide also shows every channel in the M3U but not any of the data from the XML. I think Emby has some work to do.

You do realize that you can edit the M3U and remove the channels in question right?

Also with a little work (depending on the number of channels) you can create a custom channel list that will auto-map all your channels. Took a couple of hours for me. Now it is gold.

XMLTV is the way to go in Emby IMO - until we do get channel management.

#58 dcol OFFLINE  

dcol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1281 posts

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:34 PM

As long as the M3U from the provider permanently stays static, I could do that. Just a lot of editing, but I don't know how to hook them to SD. If the IPTV provider makes changes, then I could have issues. Can't use iptv-epg because of missing and wrong tags in their XML.

Then when I tried to map channels in Emby, the list only had about 20 channels, none of which were the ones I wanted.

What I can try is using the modified M3U's from iptv-epg and the guide from SD. That would be trimmed with just my channels.

Edited by dcol, 21 October 2018 - 07:44 PM.

#59 kanipek OFFLINE  

kanipek

U.S. Navy Retired

• Members
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationMassillon, Ohio

Posted 21 October 2018 - 07:47 PM

As long as the M3U from the provider permanently stays static, I could do that. Just a lot of editing, but I don't know how to hook them to SD. If the IPTV provider makes changes, then I could have issues. Can't use iptv-epg because of missing and wrong tags in their XML.

Then when I tried to map channels in Emby, the list only had about 20 channels, none of which were the ones I wanted.

Yeah that is true. On rare occasions I have an issue if my CATV provider adds/removes a channel. It is always minor and take a few moments to fix. It is something that you do have to watch/maintain.

Have you been using this provider long? If so how often do things change? What number of channels are we talking about?

I assume you are getting what XMLTV data you have from Schedules Direct(SD) using EPG123 and a lineup that has a number of your channels? If not - that is the simplest method I know of. Still a bit of a hunt and peck at SD to find lineups though. You could try using an SD lineup for Direct TV or another satellite provider, they have a lot of channels, also the HDHR Premium lineups have a lot of popular channels. You can have up to 4 lineups chosen at SD.

#60 dcol OFFLINE  

dcol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1281 posts

Posted 22 October 2018 - 03:53 PM

I am using an IPTV provider with over 5000 channels from dozens of countries. A serious overkill for my needs as I only use US channels. I do use the Direct TV and Dish Sat guide with SD. Right now I am pruning the listings with epg123 and iptv-epg and it seems to work, but it is a big job.

What I have noticed is that changes to the M3U are reflected with an Emby update, but changes to the XML are not as far as adding or removing channels goes. I assume it does update the guide data with the XML. Emby needs to fix that.

Edited by dcol, 22 October 2018 - 03:53 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EPG123, XML, XMLTV, Emby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users