PlayLater for $20 USD

Airbender

Airbender

So I have been considering getting this but haven't been able to find much in-depth reviews on this anywhere. Anything I do find doesn't paint it in a positive light. I want to know if it is worth getting the lifetime subscription or just pay for the annual fee? Maybe some opinions from MB users that have used this for a while now would be helpful.

What troubles me though is in some sites for example in a cnet page I have seen a few comments like this:

wow bad customer service and false advertisement if the complaint is true 

christoph86

Really the only upgrade that would make any difference to me at this point would be the ability to record in 1080p and I would probably exect to have to pay a little for the upgrade from 720p that is currently offered.  The 720p HD upgrade already cost a little extra, but it doesn't sound like 1080p is coming anytime soon due to a lot of streaming sites don't currently stream in 1080.  I'm not exactly sure about the addition of new channels, but I don't see why you wouldn't have access to those, but maybe not.  I've only had it about a month and have been happy with it.  The 720P is a bit of a limitation however.  I don't use the Play On features for anything as MediaBrowser does everything and more for that. 

• 9 months later...
Airbender

Hello,

I have not buy this yet but i downaloded it and checking it , so i got few questions about it from people who got this software

1- do i need HBO , HULU , ect account to recod shows ?

2- does this software let you actually choice a directory where it will store the files ?

Please advise

Hello,

I have not buy this yet but i downaloded it and checking it , so i got few questions about it from people who got this software

1- do i need HBO , HULU , ect account to recod shows ?

2- does this software let you actually choice a directory where it will store the files ?

Please advise

Yes, you need the appropriate accounts to access the services.

At last check, when this was originally posted, it did let you pick location.

I was not impressed with the product. But they do offer a refund period.

TolkienBard

I've had this service for a while now, though to be honest, I use it far less than I thought I would. HEre are the things one should know before going into PlayOn/PlayLater:

1. PlayLater is essentially useless without PlayOn. If PlayOn is not running, PlayLater kicks out, so one really needs to buy both.
  2. PlayLater only records content in SD unless one pays the upcharge during registration for HD content.
  3. There are tons of channels that PlayOn/PlayLater integrate with and a semi-active development community for custom channels. However, one must still buy each subscription service outside of PlayOn. Then, the user enters their credentials into the PlayOn server and it takes it from there.
  4. All the recording is done PVR style, and happens in real time. So if you want to record all the episodes of House of Cards, for example, you're looking at 26 hours before it is done.
  5. The service is exceptionally picky when it comes to variable bandwidth. If it varies too much, the d/l fails and the user needs to start over.
  6. It works best with IE or Firefox, but can work with Chrome
  7. A disclaimer is placed at the beginning and end of each recording saying how the user recorded it, the email and IP address registered to the account.
  8. The program is something of a RAM hog

Those are the cons/negatives.

On the positive side:

1. Customer support, if there is an issue of any kind, is very prompt and helpful.
  2. It has two recording settings, a default PlayOn-specific format, and MP4. If a user selects MP4, it has automatic iTunes integration available with a simple check-box.
  3. If a user records something, they have it, copy-protection free. It simply becomes another file on the PC. So if Netflix takes the stream down, the user still has it.
  4. User controls where the file is saved.

Basically, the service (when bought in total) becomes a TiVo/PVR for subscription-based services. It does what it says it does, but nothing more. The person that brought it to my attention still uses it all the time in order to take concert videos from YouTube and save them. It's also how he takes things from his VuDu library and puts them on his HTPC, though I prefer to just stream from Vudu mself (if I am not just streaming from a disc on my server).

Edited by TolkienBard
  • Like 1