PlayLater for $20 USD

Airbender

Airbender

Hi

Just sharing this with everyone

Now you can record from your favorite streaming services with PlayLater

Record from your favorite streaming services, such as Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo, Amazon, Redbox, and others directly to your Plex libraries with PlayOn's PlayLater app for Windows! PlayLater works seamlessly, providing the rich metadata and device support you've come to love—just point your TV/Movie folders at your PlayLater recordings directory. You can also take the content with you or fire it up to your favorite cloud storage provider (using Cloud Sync). For a limited time you can get a year of PlayLater for just $19.99. Check it out.

The site is: http://www.playlater.tv/?utm_source=Plex&utm_medium=email&utm_content=newsletter4_7&utm_campaign=Newsletter+Mar2014

Thanks

• Like 1

Airbender

we should contact them about integration as well

Hi

Do you want me to send them an email and CC you to it ? your call

AxeMan

Wow that's awesome. I wonder if they'll be able to stick around. What if you record something that is no longer available on Netflix (say like Blues Clues)?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Airbender

Wow that's awesome. I wonder if they'll be able to stick around. What if you record something that is no longer available on Netflix (say like Blues Clues)?

Hi their are web plugins and software that can get video from paid services like netflex and amazon ... this one is little more automated that all

They've been around for 3 or 4 years now, I think.  After you have recorded something, you can download it in MP4 format, so it doesn't matter if it is available through the service anymore or not. I still kinda wonder about the legality of that, but there's a lot of grey area in media rights.

Airbender

They've been around for 3 or 4 years now, I think.  After you have recorded something, you can download it in MP4 format, so it doesn't matter if it is available through the service anymore or not. I still kinda wonder about the legality of that, but there's a lot of grey area in media rights.

Hi

if you concern then dont get the service :)

Airbender

I don't think so , you don't copy the entire collection , you select tv show and episodes like orange is new black , it records it to your hard drive , just like any pvr do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christoph86

Can you purchase just the playlater without buying the playon as well and still be able to record the channels or do you need both?  Seems playon portion is more just the server.  If you can just purchase playlater and add the mp4 file to mediabrowser seems like a great deal.

Koleckai Silvestri

I wonder if this still works with Hulu. Hulu changed their encryption and CDNs over the weekend.

Can you purchase just the playlater without buying the playon as well and still be able to record the channels or do you need both?  Seems playon portion is more just the server.  If you can just purchase playlater and add the mp4 file to mediabrowser seems like a great deal.

yes, thats what I did.  Its pretty impressive software.

BillW

I am going to have to experiment with this. If playlater will record shows from places like HGTV and the DIY channel I can set up a group of tv shows the wife can watch from MBT instead of trying to navigate to each site. If I can get this to work correctly the WAF will skyrocket. I love reading this forum. There are some really great ideas here. Looks like I have a new project for this weekend. Thanks for the info.

AxeMan

yup - count me on board - i was skeptical at first because i thought they were a no-name brand that just popped-up (initially because their Website wasn't snazzy). but later realized they are part of the PlayOn brand - which has been around for at least 1/2dozen years - if not longer. 

I also thought that PlayON will be required (meaning, i'd have to buy the highest priced option, and add the HD streaming) which made it just an OK deal. however, if it downloads the mp4 file, and hands it off the MB3, then the $49.99 (don't forget to add the HD feature) is a drop in the bucket. 

@@Airbender - thanks for posting this. 

christoph86

yup - count me on board - i was skeptical at first because i thought they were a no-name brand that just popped-up (initially because their Website wasn't snazzy). but later realized they are part of the PlayOn brand - which has been around for at least 1/2dozen years - if not longer. 

I also thought that PlayON will be required (meaning, i'd have to buy the highest priced option, and add the HD streaming) which made it just an OK deal. however, if it downloads the mp4 file, and hands it off the MB3, then the $49.99 (don't forget to add the HD feature) is a drop in the bucket. 

@@Airbender - thanks for posting this. 

Yep, think I will be testing this out tonight.  30 day money back guarantee and for 50 bucks lifetime with HD (720, no 1080 at this time) seems great with no DRM issues.  HBOgo and Netflix recording.  Worth a try.

Edited by christoph86

christoph86

So I have used this for a few days.  It works really well and I am pleased.  Only 720 without 1080 res is a fairly significant shortcoming, but have been using it mostly for cartoons and such for my kids so far.  I did watch Now You See Me, recording was great, but the 720 is noticeable.  I will be using it mostly for kids stuff and movies/shows that I wouldn't normally get a blu ray or rip a blu ray of, which will be a lot of material really, even just between Netflix and HBO GO.

Edited by christoph86

Airbender

Yeah this can be a replacement for usernet also

Airbender

Yeah this can be a replacement for usernet also

christoph86

Experimenting more, I downloaded the Coachella channel.  Record the music videos you like, then edit out all the before and after, then convert to mp3.  Could do the same with Pandora, haven't tried yet.

Airbender

Is it easy to use ? Or schedule recoding ?

christoph86

Done the same way as any channel.  So I downloaded the Coachella channel.  It has options for a bunch of bands that played there.  You pick a song or concert you like and record it.  Then I use Avidemux ( select to remux in mp4) to cut out the adds and such, then use any video converter to convert to mp3.

• 4 weeks later...
Starkadius

So I have been considering getting this but haven't been able to find much in-depth reviews on this anywhere. Anything I do find doesn't paint it in a positive light. I want to know if it is worth getting the lifetime subscription or just pay for the annual fee? Maybe some opinions from MB users that have used this for a while now would be helpful.

What troubles me though is in some sites for example in a cnet page I have seen a few comments like this:

One buyer-beware thing to consider with PlayLater lifetime subscriptions - you are buying it with only the features that exist today. Do not expect to get any enhancements at all.

I bought a regular PlayOn lifetime subscription a few years ago. Shortly after I bought it they added support for iPads and added many more channels but wouldn't offer it to prior lifetime subscribers (this was a few months, not years, after I bought it). When I complained, they offered only a tiny discount on yet another lifetime subscription.