Ubuntu Repository for install?

snorkel

Hi, the .deb files are our newer way of doing things. We may setup a repository for them at some point but right now we're more focused on rolling out the build system to every platform we can.

And yes as far as init, it will run under a user called emby.

snorkel

Thanks Luke.

On a side not I installed Emby (beta) on my windows 10 PC to play around and it's great.  I feel ripped off that I bought a plex lifetime, I didn't even know about emby until today :-(

Everything about your Livetv, dvr guide etc is superior.

snorkel

Thanks for the feedback.

No problem.

I have it all setup on Linux with AMD 8 core FX 8350 @ 4gzh with 16gb ram and so far it's working really well.  Very impressed.

bradford

Will the deb package auto-upgrade? I like my current repo from opensuse because it upgrades with a simple apt command. If the deb manages upgrading itself, I'd definitely switch.

snorkel

Once you install the .Deb there is an option to auto update, mine updates to the version that came out last Friday no problem.

Once you install the .Deb there is an option to auto update, mine updates to the version that came out last Friday no problem.

How exactly did you do that?

I have the same question as Luke (and it's making me feel dumb). Mine hasn't updated - or given me an update available notice - since  3.2.34.0

snorkel

Not all the apps have access to the server dashboard and settings.

I just installed a few days before the last version came out via the .Deb.

The .Deb obviously does not give you the option to update, there is a scheduled task I would guess that does it. Look in the server settings.

All I know is I installed the prior version and it updated by itself with no interaction from me other than making sure the auto update was enabled.

I was feeling dumb because I was being dumb. Update by installing the current version on top of my existing install:

wget https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases/download/3.2.70.0/emby-server-deb_3.2.70.0_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i emby-server-deb_3.2.70.0_amd64.deb

Not sure why auto-update wasn't working, but will keep an eye on it now and try to remember to report back.

I was feeling dumb because I was being dumb. Update by installing the current version on top of my existing install:

wget https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases/download/3.2.70.0/emby-server-deb_3.2.70.0_amd64.deb

Not sure why auto-update wasn't working, but will keep an eye on it now and try to remember to report back.

Because this is the update procedure now for our new package installs.

bernado99

Because this is the update procedure now for our new package installs.

Bit of a Linux noob question I'm afraid but do I run

after stopping Emby server or with it running?

If it does need to be done after stopping the service what is the best command to use to close Emby?

Sorry, I did say I was a noob!

dcrdev

Bit of a Linux noob question I'm afraid but do I run

after stopping Emby server or with it running?

If it does need to be done after stopping the service what is the best command to use to close Emby?

Sorry, I did say I was a noob!

I think the package probably does restart the service if it's running, but I always stop it anyway:

systemctl stop emby-server

<upgrade>

systemctl start emby-server
  • Like 1

bernado99

Well I've tried upgrading via the above method but no joy, the package downloads successfully but I get an error message running the second install command.

I've attached contents from the log but not sure if this is the info format you are looking for, as I say I'm learning this as I go.

Thanks

emby server upgrade.txt

bernado99

What error message? That log looks ok to me.

This is what I get -

(Reading database ... 281059 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to unpack emby-server-deb_3.2.70.0_amd64.deb ...

Unpacking emby-server (3.2.70.0) over (3.2.60.0) ...

dpkg-deb (subprocess): cannot copy archive member from 'emby-server-deb_3.2.70.0_amd64.deb' to decompressor pipe: unexpected end of file or stream

dpkg-deb (subprocess): decompressing archive member: lzma error: unexpected end of input

dpkg-deb: error: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2

dpkg: error processing archive emby-server-deb_3.2.70.0_amd64.deb (--install):

cannot copy extracted data for './opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so.57.107.100' to '/opt/emby-server/lib/libavcodec.so.57.107.100.dpkg-new': unexpected end of file or stream

Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu10) ...

Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) ...

Errors were encountered while processing:

emby-server-deb_3.2.70.0_amd64.deb

bernado99

Have you tried it a second time?

I've tried several times with the same result. This was with after stopping the server then restarting after trying to upgrade, though I used sudo service emby-server stop as a command as the systemctl stop emby-server command above didn't seem to work