Ubuntu Repository for install?

snorkel

Hi all,
I've refactored the whole script and written it in python, which gives me the ability to program it more precisely.

For all who don't like dependencies there is a binary version thanks to PyInstaller.
The new script works from Ubuntu 18.04 (I didn't tested the 17.x releases, 16.04 doesn't work because it is using python 3.5).

Repo:
https://github.com/shokinn/emby-updater

Releases (binary version):
https://github.com/shokinn/emby-updater/releases

Pull requests are welcome :)

With this post my old script is now deprecated.

But if you still need it here is the link the the last version: last-bash-version

This post might be interesting for:
@@mgworek @@ulrick65 @@pglbrookes @@terratec @@tdiguy

• Like 1

mgworek

Hi all,

I've refactored the whole script and written it in python, which gives me the ability to program it more precisely.

For all who don't like dependencies there is a binary version thanks to PyInstaller.

The new script works from Ubuntu 18.04 (I didn't tested the 17.x releases, 16.04 doesn't work because it is using python 3.5).

Repo:

But if you still need it here is the link the the last version: last-bash-version

Thanks for this! I got it installed and running.

• 4 weeks later...
ulrick65

Hi all,

Repo:

Thanks for the update.  I am still running Ubuntu 17.1 (just can't find the time to upgrade!)  I installed it, but there is currently no update to test it on...but I did run it and got the message that "No update is available"...

Appreciate this...it is very helpful.

@@ulrick65
Yupp, this means it is working :P

If your are not on the beta you can try the `--beta` option to show the latest beta release (you will be asked if you want to update unless you use the `--yes` option).

ulrick65

@@ulrick65

Yupp, this means it is working :P

If your are not on the beta you can try the `--beta` option to show the latest beta release (you will be asked if you want to update unless you use the `--yes` option).

That works...asked if I wanted to update to 3.6.0.75-beta.  I answered no...   ;)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
mgworek

@@shokinn

is everything working with the script? My server is telling me there is a new beta version but your script is saying there are no updates.

First time it hasn't worked.

mgworek

awesome thanks! I'm having a brain fart, what directory does the script go in again? I copied it to emby-updater directory but its still showing 0.7.0 for me. I also tried emby-updater.py  --update to update the script but it said it couldn't find any releases.

Sorry, not feeling the greatest today.

mhh looks also broken ':D
For now I recommend that you just download the new version from the github page.

I don't know where you put the program.
Try `which emby-updater`, maybe it's in your path and shows you the containing directory :)

Edit: yes it is totally broken due to my stupidity -.-
Will fix it tomorrow.

Edited by shokinn
  • Like 1

mgworek

mhh looks also broken ':D

For now I recommend that you just download the new version from the github page.

I don't know where you put the program.

Try `which emby-updater`, maybe it's in your path and shows you the containing directory :)

Edit: yes it is totally broken due to my stupidity -.-

Will fix it tomorrow.

Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
halfrican

@@shokinn could you please advise best practice of running this a cron job daily?

Edit: I think I figured it out,

I created a daily Cron Job calling the script (as root) with the "-- yes" argument to allow for automated prompts.

Does this sound correct?

Edited by halfrican

@@halfrican
Yupp, that is correct.

I wouldn't recommend to run this as cron job.
But it's more a personal decision.
I like to read the change log and update a bit later to avoid the most problems.
If you're fine with getting always the current version as fast as possible than you should be fine :)

Btw. I change my deployment to the Docker container and now I Just throw the old one away and replace it with the new one.
You can even made this automatically with watchtower.*

*Yes I'll still maintain the update script for VM/Bare metal installations ;)

• Like 1

ulrick65

@@halfrican

Yupp, that is correct.

I wouldn't recommend to run this as cron job.

But it's more a personal decision.

I like to read the change log and update a bit later to avoid the most problems.

If you're fine with getting always the current version as fast as possible than you should be fine :)

Btw. I change my deployment to the Docker container and now I Just throw the old one away and replace it with the new one.

You can even made this automatically with watchtower.*

*Yes I'll still maintain the update script for VM/Bare metal installations ;)

I played around with Docker and have installed some containers for some things, but I struggle with the benefit.  Out of curiosity (and for my learning) why did you opt to go that route here?  What's the benefit for you?

Thanks.

I played around with Docker and have installed some containers for some things, but I struggle with the benefit.  Out of curiosity (and for my learning) why did you opt to go that route here?  What's the benefit for you?

Thanks.

It's easier to maintain and update for me.

Since my server stack has around 12 services, which are also often changing, I find it easier to configure an remove complete services without a messed up system.

I'm also able to handle routing and firewalling between my services instead of having them all in the same network.

It's easier to maintain and update for me.

Since my server stack has around 12 services, which are also often changing, I find it easier to configure an remove complete services without a messed up system.

I'm also able to handle routing and firewalling between my services instead of having them all in the same network.

For a setup like that virtualization is handy because something that requires the machine to reboot in order to update no longer really means rebooting the machine, just the virtualization running that service.