Help! - MB Kinect Crashing Immediately on Windows 8.1

Faceman09

wraslor

ok update: I removed the Kinect in device manager and let windows reinstall, I can now get mb Kinect to launch, set my profile, and see MBC as a device to control (must launch mbc first or I get unhandled exemption errors) but the Kinect can't hear me.  I tried the speech training and it just sits there.  Will report back if I make any headway.

chef

ok update: I removed the Kinect in device manager and let windows reinstall, I can now get mb Kinect to launch, set my profile, and see MBC as a device to control (must launch mbc first or I get unhandled exemption errors) but the Kinect can't hear me. I tried the speech training and it just sits there. Will report back if I make any headway.

@@wraslor

Okay, is your computer running a 32 bit os. Is the OS win 7 or 8.

Did the installer run as administrator?

I appreciate your time to test and am sorry it is in the state it is in.

wraslor

Win 7 64 bit run as admin. No need to apologize man this is a very big and exciting project I can only imagine the difficulty programming it. Wish I could do more. Let me know if you want a team viewer session or anything of it would help.

chef

Win 7 64 bit run as admin. No need to apologize man this is a very big and exciting project I can only imagine the difficulty programming it. Wish I could do more. Let me know if you want a team viewer session or anything of it would help.

Yes a team viewer session would be great.

When you disabled kinect in device manager, did windows download drivers again?

I am wondering if the installer and first run setup is trying to filter the motor drivers before the drivers exist on the computer.

It is difficult to know when kinect is listening when the LED light isn't switching between red and green. I have built all the latest code on the fact that the LED is letting the user know when speech recognition is enabled. Throws a big wrench into the app.

Also, you are correct in that, at the moment mbc has to be running and your user profile must be logged into, before kinect will build the proper library and session commands to browse media.

This makes things confusing, we have to come up with a fix for this.

But first, the LED filters have to work.

Could we get a team viewer session going perhaps tonight? Not to worry if we gotta wait until tomorrow.

wraslor

Yes when I uninstalled the kinect from device manager windows re-installed the drivers.

I completely removed and re-installed everything and noticed one thing.  After I installed the LED filter all lights on the kinect go off and the device manager reports it as unable to start because the drivers are missing or corrupt.  I then have to remove the device and let windows detect and install it again.  Sending you a PM with team viewer info.

chef

Yes when I uninstalled the kinect from device manager windows re-installed the drivers.

I completely removed and re-installed everything and noticed one thing. After I installed the LED filter all lights on the kinect go off and the device manager reports it as unable to start because the drivers are missing or corrupt. I then have to remove the device and let windows detect and install it again. Sending you a PM with team viewer info.

Believe it or not, this is a good thing. It is the filter for sure. I also encountered this issue in early trials. I will look at the code and be in touch. A team session may still be needed.

chef

@@wraslor

Good news I have found the LED problem. Bad News is that I have to copy two files into the "System32" folder during intstallation, which of coarse is a huge headache.

I will be in touch soon.

chef

@@wraslor

and anyone who is interested!

Great News! I think I have solved the LED Filter issue! Please test this intstaller:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46151346/MBKSetup.zip

Please delete "C:\ProgramData\Media Browser Kinect" folder from your computer before you try this installer.

you will be prompted twice during First Run Setup. Once is a UAC prompt for an exe to run called Sys32Copy.

The second is a UAC prompt for "Install-Filter" to run at admin level. This is important to run these both at Admin Level.

Let me know. Things are getting exciting!

Edited by chef

wraslor

Ok I think we are getting closer.  I encountered 1 problem during install i get sys32copy has stopped responding and must close.  The install led filter did work this time, lights flashed red and yellow as they should.  When mb kinect launches it has me pick what instance I wan't to control but can't hear me still.  I rebooted and now I get the mb server is not running message and mb kinect closes.  I look at device manager and the device kinect for windows camera can not start error.

chef

YES! The LED filter worked!! I will continue forward! We'll get it working.

chef

@@wraslor ,

If you open windows speech advanced options in the windows control panel, you will find speech training there.

Try training your speech profile mbkinect has created for you there instead of through the mbkinect app.

FYI, have the kinect app running in the back ground during training.

This will make sure that the microphone array on the kinect sensor is turned on.

Find a place in your room where you will be giving commands to mbkinect(on a chair or couch etc).

Run through the speech training and then restart mbkinect.

Commands should be very easy to give then.

Unfortunately, opening speech training from the kinect app doesn't teIn the proper profile right now.

This is my next mission!

wraslor

I will give it a shot when i get home, however I believe there is more to the problem as mbkinect doesn't seem to be registering sound but when I bring up the properties of the kinect under recording devices i can see the bar moving so it is picking up sound from my voice.

• Like 1

chef

Not to worry, if the kinect is registering sound with windows mbkinect is working.

wraslor

Hey sorry not had much time the last few days.  I did mess with it for a min today and I am having problems.  When I run start speech rec or the setup mic and it has me read everything is fine.  When I hit train your computer to understand you it starts up really slow and gets to the part where i say " I am now speaking to my computer" and nothing, doesn't register my voice it just sits there.  I can close it and say click start , click rec bin, etc and windows recognizes me.  Not sure what the problem is.

• Like 1

travelmanics

Hi Chef,

Any update on the latest testing.  I have been following with interest after experiencing the same problems.

• Like 1

chef

Yeah, actually I just sent. Quick test off to wraslor yesterday, but haven't heard back yet. I think we figured out the LED issue, but we were working on speech training.

I could post a test installer here if you want to try it. One second...

chef

@@travelmanics

Here is the download:

Please delete the "C:\Programdata\Media Browser Kinect" folder, just like last time, and run this new installer.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46151346/MBKSetup1.6.2.zip

This will allow you to do speech training for your profile during first run set up.

Then, when the app loads:

Say: "Kinect!"

The red light will start to flash green.

Say: "Start Listening"

The flashing green light will turn solid.

If we can get that far, it will mean that we have finally got somewhere! Very exciting!

wraslor

Yea sorry guys I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet, should tomorrow though. I'll report back when I get a chance to install it.

• Like 1

travelmanics

Hi Chef,

Tried to latest software and can advise the following.  Please note, I am using a Windows 7 64 bit machine and both the Media Browser server and clients (MBT and MBC) are installed locally.

1.) deleted the "C:\Programdata\Media Browser Kinect" folder

2.) Extracted the zip to the desktop and ran As Administrator - if I dont do this I get an access denied error even though I am the administrator of the machine

3.) Installed the LED software, which said it complete OK and the Kinect started to flash yellow red.  Progress so far.

4.) Installer next asked which profile I wanted to use.  Only one "travelmanics".  Selected it and the speech recognition started.  Ran through the process to the end and the installer said complete.

5.) Click next and asked whether I wanted to do Face Recognition Training.  Said Yes and prompted to select the profile.  Selected "travelmanics".  At this point I got an "unhandled exception" saying it could not find the "biometrics" folder in the global folder.

6.) Created the "biometrics" folder and restarted the app.  This time though cancelled the speech recognition training as done this previously (maybe should have done this).  However, this time the face recognition worked.

7.) Media Browser kinect started and asked me to select the client I wanted to control.  As I did not have MBT or MBC open the drop down box was empty.  Started MBC but the drop box remained close so closed the kinect app and reloaded.  This time it could see MBC.  Selected it and progressed on.

8.) At this point the LED on the Kinect is solid RED.

9.) Said "Kinect" but got no response.  Tried on several occasions but on each try the LED is solid RED and I get no response

10.) Finally tried to speech recognition through the software.  This loaded the speech training app again.  Completed it but then I can get back to the MBKinect app just stuck on the Speech Training window inside MBKinect so had to close the app.

What I will do now is uninstall everything again and try from fresh now I know the workaround to the 2 errors I experienced earlier and see if it improves.

One final point when the app closes it does not close the process.  Therefore, when you load the app again there are 2 MBKinect processes running and so you get a message saying the Kinect could not be detected.  I assume this is because the original process still has a handle on it.

• Like 1