Emby consuming practically all available RAM

gene0915

gene0915
Using Emby 3.3.0.0 and memory consumption (no plugins, just using Emby for Live TV) was AROUND 130 megs. After adding my 1,450+ movie library, memory usage started climbing. After Emby had scanned about 100+ movies (few minutes), memory consumption was around 500+ megs and climbing. Attaching the server log file. Memory leak continues with the .deb version with 3.3.0.0. :(

Think this is a coding problem for the Emby devs to sort out or should I ask for help over in the Mint forums?

OS Details:

Kernel: 4.13.0-36-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)

Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)

Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

emby server log file.txt

Using Emby 3.3.0.0 and memory consumption (no plugins, just using Emby for Live TV) was AROUND 130 megs. After adding my 1,450+ movie library, memory usage started climbing. After Emby had scanned about 100+ movies (few minutes), memory consumption was around 500+ megs and climbing.

That doesn't indicate a leak to me.  Where did it leave memory after the scan was finished?

500MB of usage during an intense operation is not unusual at all.

Using Emby 3.3.0.0 and memory consumption (no plugins, just using Emby for Live TV) was AROUND 130 megs. After adding my 1,450+ movie library, memory usage started climbing. After Emby had scanned about 100+ movies (few minutes), memory consumption was around 500+ megs and climbing. Attaching the server log file. Memory leak continues with the .deb version with 3.3.0.0. :(

Think this is a coding problem for the Emby devs to sort out or should I ask for help over in the Mint forums?

OS Details:
Kernel: 4.13.0-36-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia

That doesn't indicate a leak to me.  Where did it leave memory after the scan was finished?

Let it run, when it does'nt finish or progress stuck for a long time (~2 days, like it was in my case) you have maybe a similar issue like me (bad? media file which causes emby to loop and eat all RAM).

But when it finishes it should settle RAm usage (~ 100-200MB in my case).

pOpY

gene0915

I'm just going off history. Every time a new version of Emby is released, I do the same little test and get the same results. When I carry out the same steps in Antergos, I don't have this problem. Under Antergos, while the 'Movie' library is being added, Emby memory consumption jumps up about 100 megs (if I recall correctly) and stays there the entire time.

However, under Mint (when I add any library) memory consumption keeps climbing and climbing during the initial scanning and once it's all said and done, Emby is consuming a gig or so of memory and after just sitting there for a few hours, it will grow to 10-14 gigs and never comes back down until I kill/restart Emby. When I do that, it slowly starts consuming practically all available RAM.

I guess what I'll do is add the movie library back and every couple of minutes, take a screen shot of the Emby process and note memory consumption then post up the pics. There are other posts about the same problem:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/56048-memory-leak-32700/

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/32516-question-about-ram-usage/

While it doesn't impact EVERY Linux setup, it's repeatable on mine.

Are there any utilities you want me to run in the background to keep a close eye on what the Emby process is doing? (Sort of like ProcMon in Windows)

gene0915

Let it run, when it does'nt finish or progress stuck for a long time (~2 days, like it was in my case) you have maybe a similar issue like me (bad? media file which causes emby to loop and eat all RAM).

But when it finishes it should settle RAm usage (~ 100-200MB in my case).

pOpY

Yeah, I'm going to try it again and just let it run. I don't think it's a media file problem. When running Emby under Antergos (Arch), I don't have this problem. Emby behaves perfectly and doesn't have a run-away memory consumption issue.

See my reply to ebr. When memory consumption starts to grow, I have a pretty good idea where it will end based on doing this a few times now.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm going to try it again and just let it run. I don't think it's a media file problem. When running Emby under Antergos (Arch), I don't have this problem. Emby behaves perfectly and doesn't have a run-away memory consumption issue.

See my reply to ebr. When memory consumption starts to grow, I have a pretty good idea where it will end based on doing this a few times now.

Ok, than it seems you faced an OS compatibility issue, rather than an media file.

Maybe Luke can step in and point you in the right direction.

pOpY

Gesendet von meinem LG-H815 mit Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
gene0915

I can see what might be causing this from your log and it's resolved for the next release, thanks.

Hi Luke, can you verify if the fix was included in the 3.3.1.0 build? I'm still having the same problem with that one.

Memory consumption was at 70 megs. I added my Movies library and RAM usage double instantly to roughly 140 megs and started climbing. I killed the process once it go to about 230+ megs. It didn't show any signs of stopping.

v3310 server log file.txt

Hi Luke, can you verify if the fix was included in the 3.3.1.0 build? I'm still having the same problem with that one.

Memory consumption was at 70 megs. I added my Movies library and RAM usage double instantly to roughly 140 megs and started climbing. I killed the process once it go to about 230+ megs. It didn't show any signs of stopping.

230MB is not concerning.  I know you think that indicates it is going to runaway again for you but you stopped it before we could know that.

gene0915

^ Yes, what ebr said. Please let us know if this helps.

I added my Movie library again and let it churn away. I stopped Emby once it reached 2.3 gigs. Log file attached.

2.3 gigs.txt

gene0915

230MB is not concerning.  I know you think that indicates it is going to runaway again for you but you stopped it before we could know that.

Is 2.3 gigs concerning? :) I responded to Luke and added a new server log file...... hopefully this can be used to help find the problem. :(

I'm going to ask around in the Mint forums to see if anyone over there is seeing the same problem.

I added my Movie library again and let it churn away. I stopped Emby once it reached 2.3 gigs. Log file attached.

Strange. Your log from the previous version had some massive queries which i cleaned up. Now if it's still happening, the next thing I would consider is turning off the settings to download images in advance.

gene0915

Strange. Your log from the previous version had some massive queries which i cleaned up. Now if it's still happening, the next thing I would consider is turning off the settings to download images in advance.

Turned off the option to download images in advance and still happening. Added the library back and memory usage started rapidly climbing. Got to 1.3 gigs and I killed it. Log attached.

1.3 gigs.txt

This looks like an initial scan after adding a library. What happens if you allow the scan to complete, and then restart the server?

gene0915

This looks like an initial scan after adding a library. What happens if you allow the scan to complete, and then restart the server?

I added my Movie library and after it was done, Emby was eating around 2.1GB of memory. I restarted the service and over an hour later, memory keeps slowly bouncing between 160-190MB but hasn't gone above 200MB. I'm going to watch a movie or just browse around it from my Apple TV 4th gen. and see how it goes.

I have a few more libraries to add and will add them all then restart the service.

Is this normal behavior for Emby (needing to restart the service after adding a library to get memory usage 'back in line')? If so, no biggie, just wondering. When adding libraries under Antergos, I didn't have to do this.

gene0915

I just remembered another problem I have with Emby..... CPU usage. After my previous post about re-starting the service to get memory usage in line... I added a few more libraries and walked away from my server. I let it work on adding my files and started playing back a few movies then stopped. A few minutes passed and I was walking by my  server room and heard my CPU fan going crazy. Turns out, even though I stopped watching movies (server was idle), all 8 cores of my i7 7700K were at 100%. Any idea why Emby was chewing up the cores like that?

Attaching all transcoding log files and the server log.

transcode1.txt

transcode2.txt

transcode3.txt

transcode4.txt

transcode5.txt

cpu pegged.txt

There's tons of image downloading in that cpu pegged log. I wouldn't expect to see that cause high cpu usage but you could try turning off the library settings to download images in advance.