Emby consuming practically all available RAM

gene0915

gene0915

OS is Linux Mint 18.3

Emby server 3.2.60.0

RAM 16gb

4 gigs of swap

Added a few libraries (movies, TV shows, home videos and pictures) and right now, Emby is consuming 14.8 gigs of RAM. It's been steadily increasing all afternoon. Don't know if that's because I was adding libraries or because of some sort of memory leak.

Only plugins I have installed are NextPVR and Backup Restore. Attaching log file.

This normal behavior?

emby server log.txt.tar.gz

gene0915

If i can add to this.... I have a TON of digital pictures and added that library to Emby. The scanning is done yet no photos are showing up when I go into that folder with the Emby app on my Apple TV.

Secondly, with hardware acceleration on or off, when I play back a movie, my i7 7700K goes to about 90% usage across all 4 cores/8 threads. That normal?

Attaching trans-coding log.

transcode.txt

Edited by gene0915

Secondly, with hardware acceleration on or off, when I play back a movie, my i7 7700K goes to about 90% usage across all 4 cores/8 threads. That normal?

Yes, ffmpeg will go as fast as it can until it completes. However, if you introduce multiple simultaneous transcoding sessions, it also does a good job of managing that.

gene0915

Yes, ffmpeg will go as fast as it can until it completes. However, if you introduce multiple simultaneous transcoding sessions, it also does a good job of managing that.

Until it completes....meaning until it fills X seconds of buffer or until the movie is over? If it's until the movie is over, what if somebody starts playing another movie and two transcoding sessions are active.... will my CPU melt? :)

BTW, I restarted the Emby server process and RAM usage dropped back to 500+ megs. I'll keep an eye on that and see how it goes the next 24 hours. And any ideas on the pictures not showing up?

Edited by gene0915

Until it completes....meaning until it fills X seconds of buffer or until the movie is over? If it's until the movie is over, what if somebody starts playing another movie and two transcoding sessions are active.... will my CPU melt? :)

Until the entire transcoding session completes, however, like i said earlier, just because one transcode uses that much cpu does not mean you won't be able to handle multiple concurrent transcoding sessions. It does a good job of managing that situation when the resources are distributed.

As far as pictures, did the initial library scan complete?

gene0915

Until the entire transcoding session completes, however, like i said earlier, just because one transcode uses that much cpu does not mean you won't be able to handle multiple concurrent transcoding sessions. It does a good job of managing that situation when the resources are distributed.

As far as pictures, did the initial library scan complete?

Ok, I'll throw about 6 transcodes at it and see how it does.

For the pictures, never mind...... maybe it was still scanning because this morning, they're all there. (I got lots and lots of pics.)

BTW, is there anything that can be done to reduce memory usage? Your competitor....lets just call them....Plaque..... has the same libraries attached to it and is sitting at around 100 megs. Emby, with ALMOST all the same libraries (still need to add about 3 or 4), is hovering around 1 gig.

EDIT: in the minute or two it took me to type up this reply, Emby is now at 1.4 gigs. This a memory leak?

Edited by gene0915

gene0915

Yes we are always looking at improving resource consumption and will continue to do that, thanks.

Good to hear!

I carried out a little experiment and threw 4 transcodes at Emby and all cores/threads for my i7 7700K were at 100%. Same 4 movies thrown at your competitor and CPU usage was about 30% across all cores/threads.

I tried turning on your experimental hardware acceleration and it made no difference. Another thing I noted was that after I stopped playback on all 4 devices, Emby was still consuming all CPU cores/threads. I had to stop the service and re-start it to get it back to normal.

And it seems Emby REALLY doesn't like playing back my home movies. It was an interlaced nightmare and was a bit pokey on the playback:

5a47d6d78a570_homemovieinfo.png

And it seems Emby REALLY doesn't like playing back my home movies. It was an interlaced nightmare and was a bit pokey on the playback:

We'd need to look at an example by going over the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks !

As far as cpu usage, if BD subtitles are involved then that will make a big difference and could explain the discrepancy. 

I have the same problem over here.

My system is only running the Emby server and has 2GB of RAM.

When I start Emby it has about 100-150MB RAM in usage, after some time running it the RAM usage by Emby has a steady increase until it consumes more than 1GB of RAM a couple of days later.

Whenever I restart Emby it drops to the usual 100-150MB and starts over.

Is that normal?

• 3 weeks later...
gene0915

hi there @@neik, can you please attach an emby server log from when this happens? you can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks !

Attaching server log. Upgraded to 3.2.70.0 and same problem. As soon as I add my movie library and metadata starts downloading, memory usage is at 140 megs and just keeps climbing and climbing. I didn't let it complete since it appears this memory leak hasn't been addressed in the latest server build.

@@neik , what version of Linux are you using? I'm going to boot into Antergos and try from there. Maybe it's something with Debian based distros?!

EDIT: Looks like it is indeed a problem with Linux Mint. I installed the same version of Emby on Antergos and added my movie library and RAM usage went from about 140 (baseline) to 229 megs after all metadata was downloaded and is holding steady. I'll add my TV shows, home movies and digital pics next.

Log.txt.tar.gz

Edited by gene0915

gene0915

Thanks for the feedback about Linux Mint.

No problem! I completed my Antergos testing and Emby (via Mono), with all my libraries added, is sitting at around 380 megs and really hasn't budged much so yeah, definitely looks like something is up with the Mint version of Emby.

I have the same issue.

Migrated to a new Windows server and now it's scanning library with a lots of private photos and videos.

It takes all the ram the server has (16gb).

Is this Normal?

It scans since yesterday evening and webinterface isn't accessible.
Should i'll restart it and start the scan again?

pOpY 5e5cfff278892db6aeb7f827da957f0d.jpg

Gesendet von meinem LG-H815 mit Tapatalk

Edited by popy

@@popy, please attach the emby server log. you can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks !

Hey luke.

Here are some logs.

I had to shut it down sometimes to get other things (tv server, ...) working because emby was consuming all the ram.

It runs now for about 1,5 days nonstop. The percentage of the library scan is @ 70% since a day.

When ill restart emby, it takles about a minute or two until the scan starts and reaches 70% again.

What can ill do to speed this up?

Another issue is, when it runs for a fewhours the webinterface of emby isnt reachable.

After a restart of emby, this issue is solved untill apears again...

Attached are some logs.

Edit: I'll have now deactivated "Downloading of metadata" on every library and restarted emby... will report how it goes. Now it stucked at 70%.

I did not found anything in the logs where it stucks or if it scans media files, how can ill archive this?

pOpY

logs.zip

Edited by popy

Already done before you posted without success.

But i'll think i have found the cause of the issue.

The library scan always stucked on the same percentage, EmbyServer.exe was using all of free RAM (~13 GB) and one core (~25%).

I have started it several times and it always stucked at the same progress (70%).

After monitored the EmbyServer.exe proccess with ProcessMontior, i'll figured out that it reads always the same picture/file in a loop!

There where millions of read entrys (of 4k junks) in a few minutes.

I have checked the filesize of the JPG and it was 6 MB, so there should just be about ~1536 entries to read the file.

The JPG could be opened with other apps like (paint, gimp, ...) without an issue.

After removing the file, and restarted emby it finally passed the 70% in a few minutes.

1 hour later my library was built and ready.

So i'll assume it's a bug in emby which causes it to loop during get metadata or generate a thumb from a picture.

@Luke: Can you please look into the code around the above mentioned part?

And here it is, please find attached the killer picture/JPG  :D

pOpY

PS.: The picture is from last year feb. so it was also scanned by my old emby server. Ill can just assume that the bug/issue is relative new because i dont had issues scanning this picture a year before.

IMG_20170225_154033.zip

Can you please still remove all plugins on the latest version, then reproduce the issue and provide a new log?

It would also help if you enable debug logging under the Logging menu. Thanks.

Can you please still remove all plugins on the latest version, then reproduce the issue and provide a new log?

It would also help if you enable debug logging under the Logging menu. Thanks.

Sorry, i am struggling around with this since two days and the WAF is very low now, because also kodi didnt sync to emby in the state  :P

I'll think ill must let some time pass until i can readd the picture to grab a log.

But i have attached it for you, maybe you can reproduce it also.

pOpY

Have you considered the EmbyCon addon for Kodi?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46651-embycon-kodi-addon/

No syncing required, high WAF, just install, connect to your server and that's it.

thx for the hint, but i like it more if the internal kodi DB is used, so all sections (movies, series, ..) are filled.

Syncing is no problem, that worked perfectly on my old server.

Just had the initial sync issue as described.

pOpY