AppleTV 4K - how is it as a dedicated Emby client?

ShoutingMan

Everbrave

My home theater dream is the combination of Emby (or Plex) with a non-native tvOS video player, such as whatever is used by Infuse. I won't go near MrMc however.

I don’t see the comparison as far as Emby is concerned since infuse doesn’t have an Emby client support but MrMC has both Emby and Plex. If you mean the player used, I have both and there is nothing that infuse can play which MrMC can’t.

I won't go near MrMc however. 

Emby's Apple TV app's progress is slow compared to the huge steps MrMC has had the last couple of months. MrMC is ROCK SOLID with every media you throw at it. They just finished incorporating a complete new interface navigation mode, for easy navigation. They just incorparated live scrubbing with video thumbnail while playing content, just like Netflix when you pause and use the touchpad to got FW/BW, for ALL content AND video codecs (local & online), while the Emby app only does that for native tvOS content.

Concerning your opinion about disliking MrMC's skin, I have good news for you. Phyton is coming to MrMC, which opens up new possibilities for their skinning engine, bringing it up to par to current standards.

We are exploring a non-native tvOS player. Thanks guys.

Well, that's something to look forward to, because so far, it's a love and hate relationship for my household with the Emby app on the Apple TV, with it's crippled format support, that most content we have, needs to be transcoded by the Emby server.

Edited by Senna

Any ETA or beta Version?

No, sorry.  We are in the exploration stages and it will go into the iOS (mobile) app first.

jrcorwin

As I’ll be upgrading to a 4K display very soon and already have a large 4K library established, I wanted to ask something. How does Emby’a performance with 4K content and the Apple TV 4K compare to the performance of Plex at the moment?

With non-4K content right now, I notice transcoding (when necessary) with Emby puts a lot more strain on my CPU than Plex does.

I’d say if your 4K content doesn’t match the narrow formats that Apple supports (since we’re currently using the native player) than you’ll continue to see transcoding.

• 1 month later...
mpartipilo

We are exploring a non-native tvOS player. Thanks guys.

Have you considered working together with the Infuse team? There are quite a few requests on their forums for native Emby support.

andyblac644

Have you considered working together with the Infuse team? There are quite a few requests on their forums for native Emby support.

Infuse GUI is horrid, Emby is working on a none native player of their own, we just have to be patient. 

mpartipilo

Infuse GUI is horrid, Emby is working on a none native player of their own, we just have to be patient.

Collaboration is a two-way street.

I’ll await patiently

• 1 month later...
slosvt

We have our new player working nicely on iOS:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/57242-150-new-video-player/

As soon as it's fully ready to go, then we'll look at tvOS integration.

I am having issues with Emby not playing HDR content (ATV 4K). The same file plays in HDR with MrMCLite on the ATV 4K and Emby/MrMC on the nVidia Shield.

All as Emby clients.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

andyblac644

I am having issues with Emby not playing HDR content (ATV 4K). The same file plays in HDR with MrMCLite on the ATV 4K and Emby/MrMC on the nVidia Shield.

All as Emby clients.

Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

the appletv internal player only plays one flavour of HEVC, you have to keep using those players for now, and wait for Emby finish it's own player.

Edited by andyblac644

• 1 month later...
Skopin

Is there any update on the TVOS app getting its own player? I currently have several 4K HDR movies (futureproofing), but am still running a SDR 1080p TV. This obviously creates issues with washed out colors when watching these movies. I'd love to see the video player handle the tone mapping like Infuse does. I don't care for Infuse's interface, but it's currently the only option I have for playing those movies.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In short: I want an Emby client that can play MKV made from my blu-rays, with full audio and video quality I get on Windows. And doesn’t require server-side transcoding down to lower quality (like the HD AppleTV does). I’m hoping the Shield or 4K AppleTV do this. But I don’t know.

Can you achieve that with the new player? Or will there be any limitations in audio/video left?

Edited by Kappa

using emby on my Apple TV 4k, with the server sitting on a Synology NAS. Love it!  4k playback very smooth (all native, no transcoding).

Would be great to have some more display options, like list view, sorting by date, title etc.

thanks

Edited by bubffm

I bought new plex server (should be quite powerful and not power hungry intel CPU and obvs. capable of hw accelerated transcoding etc. etc.0 and discovered some weird limitations so now i'm thinking about switching to emby and also buy new client.

Since I don't see a way to get non 4k display in this age  I wonder if there are alternatives to aTV 4k as player?

Maybe someone who has both shield and aTV 4k can share their experience?

I had Shield for quite a while, when it was quite new thought and it's video output was crap 1080p poorly upscaled to 4k and colors were just of, rPI  had much better video.

But I fear maybe integration of apps to aTV UI and playback issues would not worth tradeoff in picture quality.

ideally someone, not from usa, who needs to download content.

BTW I went to check out some TVs in the store and non of the TVs does have UI in 4k, so much for 4k :) Not to mention the screen refletivity, but that is just how it is.

Update: just found this for Shield https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1056946/4k-ui-shield-oreo/ - I don't really feel to ADB anything, stuff, mostly just looking for verifcation that aTV 4k is usable for downloaded content direct streaming.

Edited by Evlo

I had Shield for quite a while, when it was quite new thought and it's video output was crap 1080p poorly upscaled to 4k and colors were just of,

I run my Shield at 1080 and let my TV upscale to 4K.  Did you try that?  Our app can be set to automatically switch the Shield to 4K only for actual 4K playback.

mostly just looking for verifcation that aTV 4k is usable for downloaded content direct streaming.

The Apple platform is always the most restrictive in terms of what it supports.  Right now, you pretty much need your content in purely Apple-friendly format (.mp4/h264-5/AAC or DD) for it to direct stream.  We are working on a new version that should expand that support to other containers like mkv but the audio support will likely remain limited to AAC/DD for at least the time being.

ShoutingMan

Can you achieve that with the new player? Or will there be any limitations in audio/video left?

Good question. I don't know. I have the AppleTV 4th Gen HD model, so it can't do Atmos or DTS X. I don't know if the 4K model supports Atmos or DTS X in Emby.