Emby Theatre support for EVC

Daz42

JeremyFr79

man got me wondering as I watched Transformers the Last Knight the other day and saw some horrible banding in the sky on bright shots, now I know why lol

Guest asrequested

man got me wondering as I watched Transformers the Last Knight the other day and saw some horrible banding in the sky on bright shots, now I know why lol

But isn't your TV, HDR?

Guest asrequested

I've been trying to match what VLC and MPC does, but I can't quite nail it. MPV wants to maintain the vibrancy, and I can't seem to tone it down without unwanted loss. 

JeremyFr79

But isn't your TV, HDR?

Yes but according to this thread ET doesn't properly support HDR unless I'm reading it wrong, if not it apparently doesn't on my setup for some reason, but hey at least it plays 4k smoothly on a 7th gen Intel finally hehe, back to Kodi for me again....

This is about converting HDR to SDR for standard playback. I can't test HDR playback, I don't have an HDR TV.

For me it is about playing HDR through ET. I have the full 4K setup so that is the aim.

For me it is about playing HDR through ET. I have the full 4K setup so that is the aim.

Also, mpv does support HDR:

https://mpv.io/

High quality video output

mpv has an OpenGL based video output that is capable of many features loved by videophiles, such as video scaling with popular high quality algorithms, color management, frame timing, interpolation, HDR, and more.

Since MPV is the video player in ET, this should be achievable.

Guest asrequested

Yeah, I was just looking through the manual. Found this

"When using HDR output formats, mpv will encode to the specified curve but it will not set any HDMI flags or other signalling that might be required for the target device to correctly display the HDR signal. The user should independently guarantee this before using these signal formats for display."

Yes indeed. It is a Sony 4K Bravia X9300D. I am plugged into an HDMI 2.0 port and getting Full RGB 60hz 4k from my nVidia GT1030. As I alluded to before, I am getting beautiful 4K playback at 60hz from MPC-HC.

Well, here is something interesting folks. I downloaded a copy of MPV direct from their website. When I drag and drop my movie into the player and observe the scenes where I had issues, the colors are just fine! I compared the MPV files with the ones in 'C:\Users\Emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv' and they are the same as I would expect. So when I drop my movie directly into 'C:\Users\Emby\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Theater\system\x64\mpv\mpv.exe' the colors are still ok!

So I went back into ET and played my movie there, now the colors are messed up again. I am now thinking that the fault may be with ET.

Unfortunately, MPV on it's own and through ET are both choppy playing EVC.

Edited by Daz42

Guest asrequested

OK, so I was on the wrong track. I was trying to convert it.

As for color difference, I was testing in the standalone and then applying those settings to Theater. I did notice a difference. I'll have to explore that, and see if I can figure out the cause.

Choppiness. I wasn't getting that. I'm not sure what to attribute that to. Try using d3d copyback or CUDA copyback, and see if it makes any difference.

Edited by Doofus

First I will see if I can find the cause of the choppiness, then I will see what I can find in terms of what is causing the color issues between ET and MPV. There are quite a few reports of choppy playback in MPV (outside of the Emby community) so I will see what they have done to resolve.

mpv usually tags new releases about every 2 months, so we're getting close to that point and i would think there'll be an mpv update soon.

Thanks Luke, hopefully there is a fix in the next release. In the meantime, I have tested both the lachs0r and shinchiro builds of MPV - both are choppy with playing 4K EVC but perfect when playing 1080p. Looking at CPU, MPV is hitting both the main CPU and GPU with about 30-40%. When I play the same title with MPC-HC, the main CPU is under 10% while the GPU is barely 20%. So I think that there is an issue with MPV and 4K playback right now.

I've tried MPV standalone with many different switches:

mpv --vo-direct3d-only-8bit "\\192.168.2.202\g$\Media\Movies 4K\Batman v Superman - Dawn Of Justice\Batman v Superman - Dawn Of Justice.mkv"
mpv --vo-direct3d-prefer-stretchrect "\\192.168.2.202\g$\Media\Movies 4K\Batman v Superman - Dawn Of Justice\Batman v Superman - Dawn Of Justice.mkv"
mpv -no-config --ontop --hwdec=videotoolbox --vo=opengl-hq "\\192.168.2.202\g$\Media\Movies 4K\Batman v Superman - Dawn Of Justice\Batman v Superman - Dawn Of Justice.mkv"
mpv --no-config -fs --ontop --fs-black-out-screens --vo=opengl-hq benchmark.webm "\\192.168.2.202\g$\Media\Movies 4K\Batman v Superman - Dawn Of Justice\Batman v Superman - Dawn Of Justice.mkv"
mpv -no-config --ontop --hwdec=cuda --vo=opengl-hq "\\192.168.2.202\g$\Media\Movies 4K\Batman v Superman - Dawn Of Justice\Batman v Superman - Dawn Of Justice.mkv"

I get stuttering in all of them. I don't think it is offloading to the GPU as much as it should be, it is dropping frames everywhere.

Guest asrequested

Also, when testing options in the the conf, you'll need to disable them in the UI. The UI setting will override the conf. Or if testing in standalone, you could make it portable and make its own mpv.conf.

Edited by Doofus

Also, when testing options in the the conf, you'll need to disable them in the UI. The UI setting will override the conf. Or if testing in standalone, you could make it portable and make its own mpv.conf.

I've been testing MPV in 'portable' mode - so a directory located in c:\temp\ so there is no confusion over settings between MPV and ET.

OK, some progress made with regard to the choppy playback. The following command lines work brilliantly and I am getting the full 60hz playback with no dropped frames:

mpv -no-config --ontop --hwdec=auto --vo=opengl-hq "\\192.168.2.202\g$\Media\Movies 4K\Batman v Superman - Dawn Of Justice\Batman v Superman - Dawn Of Justice.mkv"

mpv -no-config --ontop --hwdec=d3d11va --vo=opengl-hq "\\192.168.2.202\g$\Media\Movies 4K\Batman v Superman - Dawn Of Justice\Batman v Superman - Dawn Of Justice.mkv"

If I go back into ET, then I am back to choppy playback. I'm not sure that ET is passing the right arguments onto MPV when it is launching because selecting 'Auto' as the decoder or 'D3D Windows 8+' still gets me choppy playback so the hardware encoder is not being engaged. Does setting 'Auto' in ET equal sending MPV '--hwdec=auto'?

I am still getting the washed out colors and blockiness in many scenes where there are lots of the same color such as sky scenes, fields and smoke. As I don't get this in MPC-HC, I think this is something in MPV. I don't know if you can adjust this out but what we really need is something true to how the picture should actually look.

Guest asrequested

That's a second person using an Nvidia card that's needed Opengl hq enabled when playing something. It's curious.

It's in the UI so you can use those settings in Theater.

That's a second person using an Nvidia card that's needed Opengl hq enabled when playing something. It's curious.

It's in the UI so you can use those settings in Theater.

I've just taken opengl out of the command line, it looks like I don't need it. I am now working on the colors.