Emby Theatre support for EVC

Daz42

dannygp87

I finnally manged to get everything working correctly with this configuration:

- Windows 10 Falls Creator update (Hdr advanced colors disabled)

- Nvidia Drivers 385.69

- MadVr v0.92.9

My tv switches to HDR mode correctly and then it goes back to SDR after playing is finished.

The only thing that's missing is that I can't make MadVR to output in 'D3D11 Fullscreen windowed (10bit)" , only "D3D11 Windowed (8bit)"

Using the same settings on MPC-HC it works.

Any hints on how to enable 'fullscreen windowed' inside Emby Theater?

Thanks!

dannygp87

I replaced it with version v0.92.9 (copy and paste from MPC-HC/madVR folder where I had it previously installed with all the settings)

I think the problem is in how ET "calls" madVR to render the content (windowed) in contrast to how MPC-HC calls it (fullscreen windowed).

Edited by dannygp87

That could be it. It's not actually a full screen window. Can't you do this with the built in mpv player?

dannygp87

Try updating LAV. You'll need the 32bit version.

https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases

Thanks for the suggestion. I just did it but it's still not working.

That could be it. It's not actually a full screen window. Can't you do this with the built in mpv player?

No, we need to use MadVR because unfortunately MPV doesn't notify the screen to change to HDR mode and so the colors don't look right

Thanks to both!

dannygp87

I'll bet we could use this, in some way

vf=format=colormatrix=bt.2020-cl

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/#video-filters-format

According to the data obtained pressing Ctrl+J while playing, it's using Bt.2020:

Matrix BT.2020 (says upstream)

Primary BT.2020 (says upstream)

P010, 10 bit, 4:2:0

D3D11 windowed (8bit)

So, it's using the correct color space and the TV switch's to HDR10 mode (which is 10bits) but it looks like ET/madVr is sending only 8bit information

dannygp87

No, it's working with madVr in ET.

But the tv is receiving a 8bit signal instead of 10bit, which leads to banding (even if the colors look similar because it's using by.2020)

dannygp87

So you didn't try the mpv options?

Yes thanks, I tried them, but they didn't make any difference.

The color space was already working correctly as it was outputting BT.2020 so I expected no change.

The problem is the 10 bit output, that I don't see any option to force it (and if we use madVR, it needs to be on fullscreen to output 10bits)

Guest asrequested

Ah yeah, it looks like mpv rounds down to 8bit when using d3d

"d3d11va is usually safe (if used with ANGLE builds that support EGL_KHR_stream path - otherwise, it converts to RGB), except that 10 bit input (HEVC main 10 profiles) will be rounded down to 8 bits, which results in reduced quality."

dannygp87

Ah yeah, it looks like mpv rounds down to 8bit when using d3d

"d3d11va is usually safe (if used with ANGLE builds that support EGL_KHR_stream path - otherwise, it converts to RGB), except that 10 bit input (HEVC main 10 profiles) will be rounded down to 8 bits, which results in reduced quality."

Good point!

Tonight I'll try using CUDA and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

dannygp87

I really need to get a 4k TV lol

So many options this days, this is the one I picked: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1345115-REG/vizio_m50_e1_smartcast_m_series_50.html and so far I'm really happy with it.. But I agree with the general consesus that HDR >>>> 4k , the difference in colours is much more enjoyable than the upgrade in resolution.

​P.S:dxva2-copy should also work, I'll try that first.

I may take a closer look at the vizio TVs.

Sorry for my absence from this thread. My Sony panel developed a fault and so Sony have agreed to replace it with an OLED KD55A1 (for a small fee), it should be here before the of the week so I can continue to experiment with you folks. Doofus, you should get yourself a 4K HDR TV - it's the way forward!

Guest asrequested

Sorry for my absence from this thread. My Sony panel developed a fault and so Sony have agreed to replace it with an OLED KD55A1 (for a small fee), it should be here before the of the week so I can continue to experiment with you folks. Doofus, you should get yourself a 4K HDR TV - it's the way forward!

Lol, yeah I know. I've just been paying more attention to my server and network. I'll see what Santa has for me :D

Guest asrequested

​P.S:dxva2-copy should also work, I'll try that first.

It isn't in the settings, anymore. But in my case, selecting auto-copy chooses dxva2-copyback

dannygp87

That's a nice improvement you are getting there!

It isn't in the settings, anymore. But in my case, selecting auto-copy chooses dxva2-copyback

I just tried but no luck, still no hdr with mpv and still 8bit with madVr.

That confirms that mpv is not yet ready for HDR video and it also seems to confirm that the problem is really in how ET calls madVR.

JeremyFr79

Man this thread got me wondering, damn I've gone down a rabbit hole of HDR lol, needless to say found that Yamaha Receivers stupidly default to 4:2:0 through instead of 4:4:4 and it's in some hidden menu to get it to pass correctly, got the newest Intel drivers but still can't turn HDR on in Windows 10 (though I think I might know why) yet DXDIAG reports that it's HDR capable.  Cyberlinks 4k advisor says it's not 4k capable but that HDCP 2.2 and all is good to go, just odd little ends and pieces here and there.  Seems HDR on a PC just isn't as easy as it should be.

Man this thread got me wondering, damn I've gone down a rabbit hole of HDR lol, needless to say found that Yamaha Receivers stupidly default to 4:2:0 through instead of 4:4:4 and it's in some hidden menu to get it to pass correctly, got the newest Intel drivers but still can't turn HDR on in Windows 10 (though I think I might know why) yet DXDIAG reports that it's HDR capable.  Cyberlinks 4k advisor says it's not 4k capable but that HDCP 2.2 and all is good to go, just odd little ends and pieces here and there.  Seems HDR on a PC just isn't as easy as it should be.

This is what it was like when we first tried to get BluRay HD working, these days you would hardly give it a second thought.