Emby Theatre support for EVC

Daz42

Hi everyone,

I would like to know if EVC (that is, commercial UHD disks) are properly supported in Emby Theater yet. I have Batman vs Superman in UHD MKV format (from a UHD Disc) and they play perfectly in MPC-HC - full 4K, smooth and great colors in full screen. When I try to play in Emby Theater, the video is very blocky (especially sky scenes) and the colors are awful.

My setup is an HP Microserver G8 with an nVidia GT 1030. I have a Sony 4K Bravia X9300D (nVidia 8bit Full RGB, 60Hz) over HDMI Port 2 in HDMI Enhanced Mode. I am also using the latest build of Emby Server and ET.

Cheers - Daz.

You mean a disk in the drive?

Hi Luke, no - I have an mkv rip of a UHD movie. I wanted to know if ET was capable of playing it properly before spending time trying to get working. MPC-HC works fine. Both ET and MPC-HC are offloading decoding to the nVidia GPU. ET does play the MKV but the colors are over saturated, scenes including ones of the sky are washed out and blocky. Occasionally the playback in ET is very jerky, other times it is ok (GPU is being used either way).

Guest asrequested

Yes, correct!

Ah right. Theater uses mpv. Right now, there are no setting in the UI for HDR > SDR, but mpv does support a range of options for this. I was just experimenting with them. You can use an mpv.conf file and add the parameters.

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/#options-tone-mapping

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/#options-tone-mapping-param

I haven't tried every option, but this worked quite well.

tone-mapping=clip
tone-mapping-param=0.2

If you make the mpv.conf in this directory

C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\mpv

You can add the parameters and test which works best for you.

Ah right. Theater uses mpv. Right now, there are no setting in the UI for HDR > SDR, but mpv does support a range of options for this. I was just experimenting with them. You can use an mpv.conf file and add the parameters.

I haven't tried every option, but this worked quite well.

tone-mapping=clip
tone-mapping-param=0.2

If you make the mpv.conf in this directory

C:\Users\YOU\AppData\Roaming\mpv

You can add the parameters and test which works best for you.

Hi Doofus, that's great - I will give that a go. I guess the other challenge will be Dolby Atmos when I get my new AMP.

My kit is made up of:

My setup is an HP Microserver G8 with an nVidia GT 1030. I have a Sony 4K Bravia X9300D (nVidia 8bit Full RGB, 60Hz) over HDMI Port 2 in HDMI Enhanced Mode. I am also using the latest build of Emby Server and ET.

I am running Windows 10 and using an nVidia GT 1030 - so I have used Windows Direct Show for decoding in ET.

Guest asrequested

Hi Doofus, that's great - I will give that a go. I guess the other challenge will be Dolby Atmos when I get my new AMP.

My kit is made up of:

I am running Windows 10 and using an nVidia GT 1030 - so I have used Windows Direct Show for decoding in ET.

Dolby Atmos is supported. I have 7.1.2. Just select the bitstreaming options.

5a19f79c5be1f_Snapshot_277.jpg

My kit is made up of:

I tried those settings - it did improve the picture somewhere but there is still this funny coloring present:

Can you see the pink and blue blotching (see attached pics)?

post-5669-0-94913600-1511652641_thumb.jpg

post-5669-0-24645900-1511652648_thumb.jpg

Edited by Daz42

Guest asrequested

I see, Atmos must be passed through as 'True HD'.

Correct. Atmos is an extension on True HD.

Hi Doofus, I meant the 'D3D Windows 8+' setting in ET.

That's what I use, but I have an iGPU not an Nvidia. But your GPU should have no problems, If it does, we'll enable your mpv logging and take a look at what's happening.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50975-how-to-enable-mpv-logging-for-theater/

This attached photo is from MPC-HC (see attached pic). The difference is night and day, also MPC-HC provides smoother playback. This is why I was asking about ET's compatibility with EVC playback.

post-5669-0-67997900-1511652806_thumb.jpg

Edited by Daz42

Guest asrequested

I tried those settings - it did improve the picture somewhere but there is still this funny coloring present:

Can you see the pink and blue blotching (see attached pics)?

Yeah, you'll probably need to experiment and see which one works best for you. You can lower the threshold to 0.1 or try another option like hable 

Yeah, you'll probably need to experiment and see which one works best for you. You can lower the threshold to 0.1 or try another option like hable 

Yes, it's going to need some tweaking. As EVC is now becoming more available (content from UHD disks), the demand for this is likely to rise in the coming weeks.

Guest asrequested

what settings should we add to the UI?

I'd say these

https://mpv.io/manual/stable/#options-tone-mapping-desaturate

But the mapping params depend on the choice of mapping, and not all mapping supports tuning. The mapping params kinda need to be disabled until a mapping choice is made. This may get a little confusing for people. 

Luke and Doofus, I am very happy to do any testing toward this with my home theater setup. Very keen to get 4K/60hz/RGB Full going on ET and I am sure others would like to know how to achieve this.

• Like 1

Luke and Doofus, I am very happy to do any testing toward this with my home theater setup. Very keen to get 4K/60hz/RGB Full going on ET and I am sure others would like to know how to achieve this.

Thanks. For now you can start by customizing mpv.conf like Doofus has mentioned.

Ok, tried those settings. A small improvement but the blotchy pink and blue are still there. Also playback has all of a sudden gone choppy. According to task manager, the GPU is taking on load and main CPU is under 15%. I have set decoding to D3D Windows 8+.

If I make the playback window smaller then playback is smooth again - until I maximize the screen. Something is struggling. Funny because last night I had smooth playback and nothing had changed apart from my changes to mpv.conf file (I renamed it and the choppy playback is still there).

MPC-HC is still giving me smooth playback in full screen and with the correct colors so the hardware/drivers should be ok.

Edited by Daz42

Guest asrequested

Try setting your hardware acceleration to auto.

The added setting will add to your processing. 

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Here's another configuration to try

tone-mapping=reinhard
tone-mapping-param=0.2
tone-mapping-desaturate=0.15
Edited by Doofus