Emby Theatre support for EVC

Daz42

• 4 weeks later...
dannygp87

Hi Doofus, sorry for disappearing this last month, many things at home.

I understand that you are now using only mpv to play HDR files. Have you tried more movies and noticed any difference between MadVR and MPV?

I've read all this thread: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/page-134# and it looks like MadVR support it's going to be dropped completely in the near future.

I only used MadVR for HDR files so, if it works exactly the same way with MPV, then that's a non issue for me.

Thanks!

Guest asrequested

I haven't actually made that comparison. I should probably give it a whirl. But I'm pretty happy with the picture in mpv. I was using powerdvd, for comparison.

Edited by Doofus

dannygp87

I haven't actually made that comparison. I should probably give it a whirl. But I'm pretty happy with the picture in mpv. I was using powerdvd, for comparison.

I just tried a HDR movie and the colors look right, still, as you explained, the tv doesn`t change to HDR mode when playing.

Guest asrequested

I just tried a HDR movie and the colors look right, still, as you explained, the tv doesn`t change to HDR mode when playing.

That's by design. If you read the links I provided, they explain that using PQ is an attempt to provide the same experience on almost any display. So as I understand it, the color representation is taken directly from the metadata. Obviously there will be discrepancies from unit to unit. I'll try with mpc and madvr, tonight, and I'll compare the results. When switching the display to HDR in PowerDVD, the result was identical. But MadVR may be different.

Edited by Doofus

dannygp87

That's by design. If you read the links I provided, they explain that using PQ is an attempt to provide the same experience on almost any display. So as I understand it, the color representation is taken directly f on the metadata. Obviously there where will be discrepancy from unit to unit. I'll try with mpc and madvr, tonight, and I'll compare the results. When switching the display to HDR in PowerDVD, the result what identical. But MadVR may be different.

Thanks for testing it Doofus. I appreciate your explanation, sorry if I wasn`t clear, but that is what I meant by `as you explained`. Let`s wait for your madVR results.

Thanks!

Guest asrequested

Ok, so first, a couple of things. Obviously, MadVR takes a bit of configuring, having to disable D3D11, set up refresh rate switching etc. PITA! Refresh rate switching just sucks, in general. Right, now I've got that off my chest....  :)

Using the option to passthrough the HDR metadata to the display results in pallid coloring. PowerDVD seems to be able to do that, correctly. Also, MadVR may depend on windows to take care of it, which it can't, in my case.

5a5ec7687e509_Snapshot_399.jpg

If I set it to let MadVR decide, the coloring is correct, and is a very good picture. Comparing it to playback in mpv, I'm not able to perceive a difference. If there is (some people's visual acuity is greater than mine), I think the difference is very subtle.

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

But of course, there are many settings to alter the picture (as does mpv), I'm just comparing 1:1 with default rendering. MPV works without any complex configuration. It just works.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a heads up the next version of the app will be removing madvr again, but I think you'll find the external player experience will be much better. This will allow you to use MPC-HC with MadVR if you desire. You're welcome to try out a test version here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46763-theater-mpv-test/page-1

Thanks !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up the next version of the app will be removing madvr again, but I think you'll find the external player experience will be much better. This will allow you to use MPC-HC with MadVR if you desire. You're welcome to try out a test version here:

Thanks !

Thanks Luke, I have already switched to using MPC-HC as the external player. The only problem is that ET freezes when I have finished watching content and I have to exit and go back into ET to get it working again.

Thanks Luke, I have already switched to using MPC-HC as the external player. The only problem is that ET freezes when I have finished watching content and I have to exit and go back into ET to get it working again.

Also, as soon as I switched to an external player LiveTV streaming has broken - even when I switch back to MPV.

GhostRider

Thanks !

I am confused by this annoucement. Looking at the MPC-HC web site the project is closed with no further development.

@@Luke can you expand a little more please? Would you need all three: Emby Theater, MPC-HC and MadVR? If so what does this give above the inbuilt Emby Theater play back?

Edited by GhostRider

• 1 month later...

Guys, just want to report here that as of at the moment I have the latest version of Emby Server, Emby Theatre with the lachs0r build of MPV (2017-12-25 | 64-bit) using D3D hardware acceleration set in ET and 4K is now working smoothly with great colors - no external player needed (yay). For my TV which is a Sony OLED A1, I used this guide to set the TV from AV Forums:

The next challenge will be Dolby Vision when Sony finally get their act into gear. We still need to work out how to get Dolby Vision encoded titles into an MKV, through MPV to the display panel. I don't know if there is any support for this in MPV yet but I bet there will be in the future.

• 3 months later...

Arriving long after the discussions, I just updated my PC to be 4k & HDR capable. I can now play BR rips with PowerDVD 18, which will switch the display in 4k and in HDR automatically. As probably others, I prefer to keep my PC at 1080p SDR except when playing a 4k HDR movie.

For other types of file, I rely on the internal player of ET, which works beautifully.

I've read through most of those 8 pages if this thread, but still wanted to know if something has changed since then. I have a couple of questions...

• Do I need to update MPV to a newer version than the one packaged in ET to play 4k HDR content?
  • What are the recommended settings in ET interface - or do I need to change the configuration file?
  • Will it switch my display in 4k HDR automatically (I guess it won't, since MPV still has that as an opened feature request)?
  • And finally, if MPV in ET is not handling everything perfectly yet, are there recommended "external players" that would be HDR capable, handling the switch automatically, that could be launched by ET when playing an HDR movie? I was using MPC-HC before switching to ET internal player, but it seems that it's now obsolete - replaced by MPC-BE? What about PotPlayer and VLC?

I know this is a lot of questions - sorry if they were addressed elsewhere.