Which TV to buy?

CBers

CBers

Which TV to buy?

Now there's a question :D

OK, so I'm looking at getting a 4K TV for my lounge and to replace my Samsung 46F8000 and have been looking at the Samsung MU and Q7F range of TVs.

I can only go to a maximum of a 55" and even then that is possibly too big for the room, so perhaps a 49".

The QE49Q7F fits the bill, but just wondered what others thought.

I won't be using the Emby Theatre app on the TV, as I have a Shield TV that will be connected.

All thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

jmassaro87

I've got the MU8000, and LOVE it. A little easier on the pocket than the q7f. I also looked at the Sony, impressive, but side by side in my local best buy, i was more impressed with the the Samsung.

• Like 1

CBers

I've got the MU8000, and LOVE it. A little easier on the pocket than the q7f. I also looked at the Sony, impressive, but side by side in my local best buy, i was more impressed with the the Samsung.

In the UK, the 49" Q7F is £100 ($130) more than the 49" MU8000.

FrostByte

Can't you run the Android app right on the Sony though and not use the Shield, since you have limited space

Jdiesel

Can't you run the Android app right on the Sony though and not use the Shield, since you have limited space

You can but the Shield TV is a much better Android TV experience then Sony's implementation.

• Like 1

CBers

You can but the Shield TV is a much better Android TV experience then Sony's implementation.

The Shield will probably get more regular updates than a TV.

What version of Android is the Sony running?

The Shield is on v7.0.

Jdiesel

The Shield will probably get more regular updates than a TV.

What version of Android is the Sony running?

The Shield is on v7.0.

I believe they are running Nougat now, at least in North America.

Everything you need to know if summed up here

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EPzlq_ipIPMCDoMqMgDl0IuKmTsMoZHeKKwE_zxbFUk/pub

So don't let Android TV be the deciding factor, buy it because it is a great display.

Edited by Jdiesel
  • Like 3

Well, if they are that close I would go with the Qled one then

Colors in the Qled are amazing.  Q9 is great but I think Samsung have over-priced themselves, although I have seen some somewhat reasonable deals around.

• Like 2

FrostByte

Samsungs do look over-priced up to about 65" when you can get an Oled for about the same price, but once you get into 75" range then I have found Samsung's Qled prices don't rise as steeply.

Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales are just around the corner here in the US :)

• Like 3

CBers

Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales are just around the corner here in the US :)

And here in the UK, so hanging out for the deals.

I would go for an oled tv, I bought an LG 55C7 earlier this year and will never go back to lcd again.
I read quite a lot reviews before I bought my tv and all seemed to be clear that oled is better than lcd (qled is also just lcd with an extra filter).
The deep blacks and colours are just gorgeous and I finally have no more zones with different light output levels.
Also LG is the only brand I could buy here that supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision so I wanted to be future proof (HLG is also supported and Technicolor HDR will be added soon but I don't think I'll be using those anytime soon).
Of course I don't know how 4K oleds compare to lcd tv's in the UK, but here you can get a 55" oled starting at 1600 (B6) - 1800 (C7) euros.

• Like 1

Swynol

it depends on your budget. not seen the qled in person but have seen the MU and its a nice tv.

However if you have a tighter budget take a look at the Hisense H556800 - regarded as a very good TV for the price point.

Here are some reviews which i have been looking at.

HiSense - https://www.avforums.com/review/hisense-h55n6800-4k-led-tv-review.13870

Samsung Qled - https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-qe55q7f-4k-qled-lcd-tv-review.14008

Samsung MU7000 - https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-ue55mu7000-4k-led-tv-review.13925

Edited by Swynol
  • Like 1

CBers

OK, so I think I've narrowed it down to either the Samsung 55" QLED Q7F or the LG 55" OLED B7.

I like the blacks of the LG OLED, but the colours and brightness of the Samsung QLED.

The LG does Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos decoding, but can't see if it has an ethernet port or not.

Samsung has a more open-source version of HDR, but doesn't do Dolby Atmos.

The Samsung has the One Connect box, which is really useful - had something similar on a Pioneer Plasma about 12 years ago.

Both are currently the same price in the UK.

Thoughts ??

On my 55" C7 the Wi-Fi is faster than the ethernet as it seems the ethernet card is only 100 Mbps.
Colours and brightness on my tv are really great and in the evening bright shots are sometimes almost too bright to look at :P
I have no experience with QLED but according to reviews they can be even brighter so I guess that may be a plus if you want to look at HDR during the day.
Concerning HDR formats, HDR10+ is still very new without content while Dolby Vision already has a lot of support.
Also as HDR10+ is open source LG can implement it in their tv's if they want.
I just got an update to support HLG,lossless Dolby TrueHD and two Technicolor modes (SDR and HDR) on my C7 so I'm hoping they'll keep updating add HDR10+ too.

That One Connect box looks very nice and should be offered on more tv's!
Maybe it's best to find some reviews about the tv's and see what they have to say about them?

• Like 1

CBers

Thanks @@Ceten.

I've been trying to find out the difference between the B7 and C7, but there doesn't seem to be much.

Maybe it's best to find some reviews about the tv's and see what they have to say about them?

I've been watching a lot of reviews of the Q7F and the B7/C7 on YouTube and in local stores.

Just waiting for Black Friday :)

Thanks @@Ceten.

I've been trying to find out the difference between the B7 and C7, but there doesn't seem to be much.

I've been watching a lot of reviews of the Q7F and the B7/C7 on YouTube and in local stores.

Just waiting for Black Friday :)

Here is a comparison video of the B7 and C7:

Vincent Teoh also seems to be a respected tv reviewer so maybe check his reviews too (on the YouTube channel and http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/).

I think they did a comparison of different OLED and QLED tv's too but didn't watch it myself.

Essentially the entire LG OLED range for 2017 uses the same panels and chips so you get the same picture quality on all models, which has been confirmed by LG.

The only differences are in the design and better soundbars for the more expensive models.

I bought the C7 because I like the minimalistic design and did not want a soundbar.

If they sold a W7 without soundbar that would be the ultimate tv for me except that you can buy a car for the price of the W7 :P

• Like 1