Which TV to buy?

CBers

CBers

Here is a comparison video of the B7 and C7:

I've already watched that, and even he didn't state any technical differences, only the minor cosmetics ones.

I've already watched that, and even he didn't state any technical differences, only the minor cosmetics ones.

Yes so between those 2 it just comes down to which one looks better or is cheaper I guess.

• Like 1

CBers

Yes so between those 2 it just comes down to which one looks better or is cheaper I guess.

Totally.

Seeing as I'll hang it on the wall, the stand becomes irrelevant :D

I prefer the C7 without the silver bezel, but my current Samsung TV has one and I don't even notice it.

Thanks for your comments @@Ceten.

Anyone recommend a TV that has no "SMART" functions at all?

I just want an amazing picture quality and 3 or 4 HDMI ports that is all.

Seems like eveyone is adding "SMART" stuff and its all mostly crap from what I can see

PenkethBoy

Assuming you have some sort of set top box to receive a signal then a good quality monitor would work - depending how far away you sit from the tv

If cost is also an issue - Not sure you will save a lot on cost though as a good say 4k monitor of suitable size will be costly.

mastrmind11

Anyone recommend a TV that has no "SMART" functions at all?

I just want an amazing picture quality and 3 or 4 HDMI ports that is all.

Seems like eveyone is adding "SMART" stuff and its all mostly crap from what I can see

You're not going to find any modern TV that has an amazing picture w/o smart features.  Just buy one w/ a great picture (mentioned above) and don't use the smart features.  Even my Viera plasma (also worth checking out if you can find one locally) from 5 years ago has smart features, but I have it hooked up to a Shield so I have no need to use them.

Its really too bad, I wish one brand would make a TV with stunning picture quality but no smart features, I am sure it would sell well.

Everyone I know uses a Roku or appletv no one used the built in so called "smart" part of the TV

Jdiesel

Its really too bad, I wish one brand would make a TV with stunning picture quality but no smart features, I am sure it would sell well.

Everyone I know uses a Roku or appletv no one used the built in so called "smart" part of the TV

Closest to what you are asking for would be in a Vizio P series TV that only has a built in Chromecast and requires you to cast all apps to the TV. 

Edit: I guess the 2017 model is heading back in the direction of built in apps. I guess not having built in smart features didn't work out so well for Vizio.

Edited by Jdiesel

maegibbons

The Samsung has the One Connect box, which is really useful - had something similar on a Pioneer Plasma about 12 years ago.

My MAIN TV is still my 12 year old Pioneer Plasma PDP - although the ports are built in on this version.  I also had one like you with the seperate tiuner box but the ex-wife had that one!

Myself and the current wife are moving soon so I think i will be looking for some new lounge eye-candy soon too.

HOWEVER, even now very difficult to beat the picture quality, especially blacks, of the old Pioneer plasmas.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

Jdiesel

My MAIN TV is still my 12 year old Pioneer Plasma PDP - although the ports are built in on this version. I also had one like you with the seperate tiuner box but the ex-wife had that one!

Myself and the current wife are moving soon so I think i will be looking for some new lounge eye-candy soon too.

HOWEVER, even now very difficult to beat the picture quality, especially blacks, of the old Pioneer plasmas.

Krs

Mark

I came from a high end Samsung plasma tv and was spoiled by dark inky blacks but I have to say that the new VA panels have come a long ways since the days of the plasma versus LCD comparisons. Contrast ratios on VA panels have really closed the gap on Plasmas and OLED displays have surpassed them.

• Like 1

Waldonnis

"Smart" features aren't really a main selling point these days like they were a decade ago, so there's no real premium for them cost-wise and it's not like the OS on them compromises performance/quality of the television itself.  I have two televisions that each have some "smart" features that I never use, so I just disconnect them from the network and ignore those features since I have other playback devices attached to them anyway.  I only really connect them every few months to get firmware updates.

That being said, there are monitors out there without any such features.  Most don't have tuners, though, so if OTA is a desire, you may have to augment it with a tuner or OTA->streaming solution.  Best bet is to check the companies that supply larger monitors for business or professional use.  Frankly, though, most of those use the same exact panels found in comparable consumer smart televisions, so there's no reason to buy a "dumb" monitor over a smart television unless the cost difference is significant or you actually have a need for a specific panel/feature (wide gamut or other attractive features for professional use).  I will say that professional or production monitors are usually NOT cheap, so if you think you may be saving some money by wanting to go in that direction....not so much.

CBers

For those of you with LG OLED TV's, have you had an image retention issues, or lip-sync issues?

Whilst researching the LG OLED B7 and C7 TV's, I've come across a few instances of both types of these issues.

Thanks.

Harblar

So, I'm currently waiting on the Black Friday TV price drop and have been looking very hard at the LG 65" B7 OLED. Anybody currently have one of these (or any of the similar 2016/2017 models)?

My main curiosity is how well they handle the Emby app. All of my media is 1:1 mkv rips of DVD and Bluray films/tv (so, either Mpeg2, VC-1, or H264 codecs). It's my understanding that the LG app can indeed direct play these, correct?

How does it handle the audio? (for example, can it pass through/bitstream DTSMA/DolbyTHD, etc... from the TV to a Surround sound receiver and if so would it require a separate HDMI out on the TV or could it be done over a single HDMI connection between the tv and receiver?)

Does the app handle subtitles the same as other Emby apps (Emby Theater, for example)?

What about media source based frame rate switching?

I'm currently running Emby Theater on an HTPC, but the appeal of being able to get rid of it in favor of the LG's built in OS and apps is very promising, providing I don't lose the essentials listed above.

I'd ask about the 4k support, but until UHD/mkv ripping is realistically doable (not spending $250 on some shady russian program that Might unlock a few of my UHD discs for MKV ripping) I'll stick with a dedicated player like the Sony X800 or Oppo 203. Depending on how well the LG app handles the above, will probably determine which player I end up getting. (X800 is cheaper but has issues with MKV Dolby THD/Atmos bitstreaming and subtitles, whereas the Oppo seems to handle it all just fine, but at 2.5x the price.)

CBers

@@Harblar - merged your post here.

I intend getting the 55" LG C7 if/when the Black Friday prices are announced.

Hopefully going to pair it with the LG SJ9 soundbar as well.

Harblar

@@Harblar - merged your post here.

I intend getting the 55" LG C7 if/when the Black Friday prices are announced.

Hopefully going to pair it with the LG SJ9 soundbar as well.

Ok, though my Questions were primarily about the capabilities of Emby's LG app and how it compared to a dedicated HTPC running Emby Theater. I've pretty much set my sights on the 65B7A already, just hoping Black Friday will drop it down around the current price of the 55". Depending on how the Emby App handles what I was asking about will, pretty much tell me which UHD player I should be looking at, is all.

If I were you, I'd seriously consider the B7A over the C7 (unless you're buying the c7 for the aesthetics and stand). The only difference (other than a few hundred dollars) is that the B7A lacks the built in subwoofers. It still decodes Atmos and passes via ARC to the soundbar/receiver, apparently.

Harblar

Confusing, I know. The thread I linked from AVSforum goes into it in pretty good detail, but the basic breakdown is that the B7P/V/whatever is basically a costco(type) specific model identical to the C7P (though with different trim/stand) and the B7A is a warehouse version that doesn't have the built-in subwoofers nor internal atmos decoding, though there's a firmware update that added the Dolby TrueHD processing, so it does decode Atmos and pass it through  (for any internal streaming services like Netflix, VUDU, etc...) via ARC to a sound bar/receiver. if you want Atmos from a UHD disc player, you will need to connect it straight to a soundbar/receiver. It won't pass it through the TV and back out to the Soundbar/receiver. (though, apparently neither will the c7, e7, w7, etc...)

In short, with the C7 you're paying a few hundred extra bucks for a black frame and a couple of tiny subwoofers (which you'll likely never use if your getting a nice sound bar with an external sub, like the SJ9).

CBers

So, all as clear as mud then.

I've no access to Costco here in the UK, so hopefully it'll be a C7V, which is available at a local store.

It's the same price as the B7V at a different store.

Harblar

The C7V and B7V are the european designations for the C7P and B7P in the US. They are identical, save for the bezels and stands, and that's why they have the same price.  The B7A is a warehouse version (no idea what kind of availability it has in the UK, if any at all) that is the same as the B7V/P except for the fact that it lacks the 2 tiny subwoofers (which is why they also say it doesn't decode Atmos. It does, but it lacks the necessary speakers to output it on it's own.)

CBers

Ok, though my Questions were primarily about the capabilities of Emby's LG app and how it compared to a dedicated HTPC running Emby Theater. I've pretty much set my sights on the 65B7A already, just hoping Black Friday will drop it down around the current price of the 55". Depending on how the Emby App handles what I was asking about will, pretty much tell me which UHD player I should be looking at, is all.

I assume the Emby's LG app is just Emby Theatre (ET) bundled into an app.

If you use ET on your HTPC, you should in theory have the same user experience in the LG app.

CBers

@@CBers

Thought you were going for a Sammy?

Whats put you off?

Krs

Mark

OLED over QLED.

Much better blacks with OLED.

LG has Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision decoding built-in as well.

Jdiesel

I assume the Emby's LG app is just Emby Theatre (ET) bundled into an app.

If you use ET on your HTPC, you should in theory have the same user experience in the LG app.

Something that popped up in another thread that may be an issue for users wanting to play Bluray remuxs. It appears the bitrate is limited to 20Mbps for 1080p and 50Mbps for 2160p videos. Lots of blurays both 1080p and UHD that exceed those bitrates. Maybe this is just for the LG player app but it is worth considering.

http://www.lg.com/uk/support/product-help/CT00008334-1435836452324-others

• Like 1