Which TV to buy?

CBers

snorkel

I don't have a shield. I use an HTPC that's connected through my receiver, via USB-C to HDMI, from displayport through the Thunderbolt 3 controller.

LOL, OK  Must have confused you with someone who mentioned a shield in this thread.

I bet you use those muffler bearings on your car as well LOL.

Guest asrequested

LOL, OK Must have confused you with someone who mentioned a shield in this thread.

I bet you use those muffler bearings on your car as well LOL.

Lol...yeah, I like exceeding my demands. Using the Thunderbolt 3 controller gives me 40Gb/s as opposed to the 18Gb/s that HDMI 2.0 provides. HDMI 2.1 is supposedly able to handle 10k, 48Gb/s. That'll be interesting to experiment with.

• Like 1

jrcorwin

My LG OLED will be delivered soon enough...can't wait! I have about 100 4K movies ready to go!

Edited by jrcorwin

CBers

My LG OLED gets delivered next week...can't wait!

Which model?

I have about 100 4K movies ready to go!

Nice.

jrcorwin

Which model?

The 65” C7P. I was going to go for the B7A, but I’m getting it for the same price. Getting it professionally calibrated as well. I have a high-end meter and used to do it myself, but the display tech has exceeded my skill set haha.

• Like 1

jrcorwin

Where? How?

Normally I would have someone come to my home with their calibration equipment, but with this retailer, Value Electronics, I don’t have to. It’s really the holy grail of American consumer electronics stores. The owner, Robert Zohn, has been a well known industry expert and enthusiast for years. Each year he hosts a TV shootout to crown a winner of best display. It’s attendend by heavy hitters in both the TV display industry and display calibration. It’s usual written about by CNET, Sound & Vision and others.

One of the services he offers, for a fee, it’s professional calibration. Once you place an order they test a TV for any flaws and then have an in-house expert fully calibrate it before shipping it out. So not only do you get the benefits of calibration, but you also have the piece of mind knowing it was thoroughly inspected before being sent to you.

Great service, but to fully get the benefits of your calibration, your own source equipment's must also be used to fully benefit from that calibration.

Every piece of hardware has different video output in color/tone mapping and with a true ISF calibration, the expert calibrating your display should connect every hardware you want to use as source with your display and use your source equipment during calibration.

This way, individual color user profiles can be to created on your display for each device connected and also, to create individual color user profiles for different lighting conditions in the room your display is in, to suit daylight or night conditions.

But it is a nice starting point, that display flaws from factory calibration are ironed out, before you receive your TV.

Edited by Senna

jrcorwin

Great service, but to fully get the benefits of your calibration, your own source equipment's must also be used to fully benefit from that calibration...

Every piece of hardware has different video output and with a true ISF calibration, the expert calibrating your display should connect every hardware you want to use with your display, to creates individual color user profiles for each device connected and also to create individual user color profiles for different lighting conditions in the room your display is in, to suit daylight or night conditions.

No, not really. Especially with 4K and HDR. You would use a dedicated pattern generator. Also, ISF Day and Night will have a target luminance for each with a meter placed directly against the screen without requiring any variations for ambient light. The only variations with my source equipment I should be concerned with is disabling any post-processing and choosing the correct color space.

jrcorwin

Impressive. How do you let them what your viewing environment is like?

No real need to. Target ftL for dark room is fairly standard at 30-35. Bright room is generally 45 or so. I can simply give them what numbers work for me as well, as I have experience calibration in my home with calMAN and Chromapure and my i1D3 meter.