Transcoding on virtual machine

Xenosis

Hello

Is it possible to get H/W transcoding running on a ESXi virtual machine?

I have just installed Emby on a Ubuntu 16.04 server VM, but it runs terrible when I stream to browser or kodi.

I've tried updating ffmpeg to 3.4 and installing i965-va-driver, but when run vainfo I get this:

error: can't connect to X server!
error: failed to initialize display
Aborted (core dumped)

I don't have a dedicated graphic card, so it possible the use the servers Intel Core i7-3770 onboard on the vm?

If so could anyone help me getting this running?

Guest plexman

I'm not an expert but you need to figure out how to "pass" the igpu to the vm. By default I don't think gpu is visible for vm, in addition I don't know about passing the integrated gpu. I'm sure there is plenty of help about the subject searching on google, it's a common topic of esxi. A good place to start is https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/

Edited by plexman

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed,3770k doesn't support pci pass through. you'll need to find a 1155 socket cpu to replace the 3770k which will support vt-d. then in esxi pass through the cpu's gpu. Then you can get rid of the nouveau and vmglx drivers and work with the Intel gpu directly from the guest.

I recently did the same, had to replace a 4770k with a 4790k for cheap off ebay. Used the old cpu for a new non esxi box.