2 replies to this topic

#1 Xenosis OFFLINE  

Xenosis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 02:04 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

Hello

Is it possible to get H/W transcoding running on a ESXi virtual machine?

I have just installed Emby on a Ubuntu 16.04 server VM, but it runs terrible when I stream to browser or kodi.

I've tried updating ffmpeg to 3.4 and installing i965-va-driver, but when run vainfo I get this:

error: can't connect to X server!
error: failed to initialize display
Aborted (core dumped)

I don't have a dedicated graphic card, so it possible the use the servers Intel Core i7-3770 onboard on the vm?

If so could anyone help me getting this running?

#2 plexman OFFLINE  

plexman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Local time: 02:04 AM
  • LocationSpain

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

I'm not an expert but you need to figure out how to "pass" the igpu to the vm. By default I don't think gpu is visible for vm, in addition I don't know about passing the integrated gpu. I'm sure there is plenty of help about the subject searching on google, it's a common topic of esxi. A good place to start is https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/

Edited by plexman, 22 October 2017 - 10:25 AM.

#3 kyse OFFLINE  

kyse

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:57 PM

Agreed,3770k doesn't support pci pass through. you'll need to find a 1155 socket cpu to replace the 3770k which will support vt-d. then in esxi pass through the cpu's gpu. Then you can get rid of the nouveau and vmglx drivers and work with the Intel gpu directly from the guest.

I recently did the same, had to replace a 4770k with a 4790k for cheap off ebay. Used the old cpu for a new non esxi box.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Virtual machine, transcoding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users