Maintain folder structure with unchanged history

StarsLight

StarsLight

Hi,

As we know the Emby can't keep track media file when folder structure / file rename, I would like to suggest we can organize the folder structure / rename physical media by metadata manager.

I think this way would be more easier to develop than keep track media file changed for any action in windows explorer.

Hope someone can understand my situation....

here is my last post related to my concern.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/51875-emby-cant-recognize-the-existing-folder-movie-if-their-name-are-changed/

Happy2Play

I still don't understand the issues as I moved media around all the time and don't see a issue after a library scan.  So I wonder what I am missing?

Unless your are referring to a media and metadata mismatch do to renaming.

Edited by Happy2Play

StarsLight

I still don't understand the issues as I moved media around all the time and don't see a issue after a library scan.  So I wonder what I am missing?

Unless your are referring to a media and metadata mismatch do to renaming.

Hi Happ2Pay,

Perhaps you didn't miss my message in last post. Mentioned that if we add one folder "Terrible Movie" folder as parent. Favourite and Watch are all gone.

before: "Media" folder > "Movie" folder > "Zombie Movie" folder > Zombie.avi

after: "Media" folder > "Movie" folder > "Terrible Movie" folder > "Zombie Movie" folder > Zombie.avi

Edited by StarsLight

Happy2Play

The real question is does this media have real metadata from a online provider?  If not then yes this is a legitimate request and I believe there are a couple out there.  I guess the second question would be do you store metadata with media?  Then I would ask how did you setup Libraries in UI? 

I can movie movies from \Media\Movies to \Media\Kids Movies all day long and maintain Watched, I don't do Favorites but can test.

Edited by Happy2Play

As we know the Emby can't keep track media file when folder structure / file rename

Sorry, but that is not true for most items.  If they are recognizable with metadata providers such as tmdb or tvdb then you do not lose watched, favorite, etc. information if you simply change the item's location.

The problem you are having is that you moved from a supported structure to an unsupported one so the items are no longer identifiable.  If you get them properly identified, their data will come back.

Is clear from your example you are adding another layer of folders in the middle which is causing your problem. 

If you were just moving from A to B you would not have an issue.

I recommend you follow and maintain the recommended folder structure and you won't have issues.

StarsLight

I use movie just as example for this feature request. What if we mark favouite in photo, then all favourite history will be gone.

I would prefer to have similar with Lightroom that can alert users to select new path for those missing files rather than just treat as new files.

I would prefer to have similar with Lightroom that can alert users to select new path for those missing files rather than just treat as new files.

You want to do that to 2000 photos...?

When talking about non-publicly identifiable items, then this is a problem but there is no simple solution to that problem and it is a very rare one.

StarsLight

Perhaps I didn't realize how hard and rare are, but if will be helpful just a single "prompt" to confirm users to update missing folder solution.

On the other hands, for movie media, if the Emby can get original location or system id in nfo file, then it can recognize the file even though movie file and nfo file are kept in new place.

Then it will be better than other competitor (plex can keep favoruite and watched even the file structure are changed).... :unsure:

Edited by StarsLight