Emby can't recognize the existing folder / movie if their name are changed

StarsLight

StarsLight

Just test the movie move to another folder, Emby can't recognize it as existing file.

Favourite / Watch history for this files are all gone....  Any setting can archive this?

Happy2Play

All I need to do is a library scan to recognize any changes I make to folders or files.  Not sure on Favorites, but watched status is tracked by providerid, so is this media that has no externalids?

Deathsquirrel

As long as I store metadata with my files I don't have an issue here.  When I move movies to a new share all their details travel with them.  It may not carry over watched status though, I haven't tried that recently.

As long as I store metadata with my files I don't have an issue here.  When I move movies to a new share all their details travel with them.  It may not carry over watched status though, I haven't tried that recently.

Yes it will - as long as the movie is properly identified.

StarsLight

I tried by below steps:

1) Mark Watched and favourite in one movie

2) Move the folder in level 2 folder by Windows Explorer

3) Use refresh mode (scan for new and updated files) to try recognize the existing movie

Original structure:

"Movie" folder > {movie 1} folder > movie.avi

Change strucutre:

"Movie folder > {movie 1} folder > "test" folder > movie.avi

Luckily, the metadata seem not be override by this action. But the Emby can't recognize the movie, I'm afraid any missing history / setting once the directory structure change....

Should I organize the folder structure by other methods? 

Edited by StarsLight

Okay, well, you've re-organized your structure into an unsupported one.  Why are you trying to do that?

Can you give us the actual example you are performing?

StarsLight

Okay, well, you've re-organized your structure into an unsupported one.  Why are you trying to do that?

Can you give us the actual example you are performing?

Well I would like to reorganize the media because improper structure group by their media type (i.e. movie, anime) and category. 

Further question is what is best way of recognizing folder structure to let Emby recognize?

Edited by StarsLight

Well I would like to reorganize the media because improper structure group by their media type (i.e. movie, anime) and category. 

Hi.  Your example above doesn't seem to be accomplishing that as it is putting a folder between the individual movie folder and the video file - not an organizational folder above the individual movie folder...

Original structure:

"Movie" folder > {movie 1} folder > movie.avi

Change strucutre:

"Movie folder > {movie 1} folder > "test" folder > movie.avi

I would have expected:

Movies/Anime/{movie 1}/movie.avi

Movie naming

StarsLight

Hi.  Your example above doesn't seem to be accomplishing that as it is putting a folder between the individual movie folder and the video file - not an organizational folder above the individual movie folder...

I would have expected:

Movies/Anime/{movie 1}/movie.avi

Movie naming

It's just an example... you can imagine like below:

before: "Media" folder > "Movie" folder > "Zombie Movie" folder > Zombie.avi

after: "Media" folder > "Movie" folder > "Terrible Movie" folder > "Zombie Movie" folder > Zombie.avi

How to achieve this? 

I would encourage you to not try and do that, or, if you must, to try and organize them into separate libraries.  But, if you must, then you probably will need to use the "Unset - mixed" library type.

StarsLight

What mean by separate libraries? if it means create another folder to store this change, it doesn't make sense to achieve better organizing structure.

How about "Trakt'? Anyone use this to achieve same goal?

If there is no any ways to keep the change folder, there may be feature / enhancement someone will hope for. :rolleyes:

StarsLight

I would suggest following the guidelines in our movie naming guide.

Does this help?

It just help to improve future media, but no solution to reorganize existing file.... :unsure:

If we can maintain the structure by metadata manager for example, it may be helpful.