Transcoding clean up

mediacowboy

I just had something like this happen. Overnight my drive filled up, i am on debian stretch using emby beta 33.12. I did not gather much evidence since my root drive was at 100%. I knew i should have made root a separate partition but for some reason debian setup said less experienced users should just make one partition. 

Jdiesel

So all i have to do to at least temporarily resolve this is to make a script to restart emby say nightly?

Yes, in my case at least restarting the server clears the temp folder.

mastrmind11

So all i have to do to at least temporarily resolve this is to make a script to restart emby say nightly?

I restart weekly out of practice, perhaps that's why I never notice this anomoly (or the memory leak one), perhaps not.  It's not a bad idea in general to restart from a server perspective anyway.

Yes, in my case at least restarting the server clears the temp folder.

If i see this happen again i will give that a try. If it works for me i will just make a nightly emby server restart script. At least this despite being an annoying problem sounds even easier to correct than what i thought.

CBers

There's a plugin called "Server Restart" that you can use to schedule an Emby server restart as required.

• 5 weeks later...
Dizzy49

I received an alert on my phone that the C drive on my server is nearly fuil.  I looked around and found 4001 items in the /Emby-Server/transcoding-temp/ taking up over 122GB.

What is this directory, what are these items, and is it safe to delete?

I know my wife watches HGTV and tends to pause a lot.  I'm wondering if these are leftover from those paused shows.  

Thanks!

Jdiesel

Safe to delete, or you can restart Emby which should clear the temp folder too. What version of Emby are you on? I think this bug has been fixed in the latest builds.

Dizzy49

I'm on Version 3.2.36.0

I just tried to delete, and it deleted all but one file that's 115GB.  It said it's in use by Emby.  I checked and no one is on right now, so not sure how/why it's in use.

I'm on Version 3.2.36.0

I just tried to delete, and it deleted all but one file that's 115GB.  It said it's in use by Emby.  I checked and no one is on right now, so not sure how/why it's in use.

Just restart the server and it should get cleaned up automatically.

Dizzy49

I restarted the server and it cleaned it up as you said.

Still wondering where it's coming from.  I'm curious if it's the reason why Live TV has locked up while watching Football games.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Roku Ultra, on both the release and beta app, i get loading every couple seconds, then the movie plays and repeat. It's on a wired network and the server (resource manager) shows very little load on disk/network/cpu/memory. The media is direct streaming (so it should be light on resources as well).

The only thing i notice is that the cache folder (on an SSD drive) end up having temp files from almost a week ago and not full, but probably 90%. When i restart Emby server, it starts to clear out those files. Then the movie will play completely fine, so i believe its related to the cache files. 

Note: My family typically stops watching a video with the roku (emby app) by pressing the home button. Is that causing the temp files to build up?

I have PM'd @@ebr & @@Luke the FFmpeg and server logs.

Thanks,

Erik

Happy2Play

So is the drive full?

The cache folder will always have files in it as it is the folder uses for all cached images, ie the ones you see in your web browser and other metadata..

Are you referring to the transcoding-temp folder?

Edited by Happy2Play

It wasn't full, but the logs showed some long response times (so it was getting full enough to cause that...)

Yes, sorry, the transcoding-temp folder (which i have relocated to a stand alone 120GB SSD drive just for emby transcoding). So its filling that up and not removing files when done with them until i manually restart emby server it would seem.

Ok, I removed the plugin.

However @@Luke , I tested backing out of a movie currently playing and the server dashboard immediately recognizes that the media has stopped playing. However, when i use the home button, the server dashboard continues to show the media playing (transcoding bar keeps increasing to the end and the timer keeps counting up). I let it go for 10 minutes and it never recognized the roku wasn't actually playing it. So much so that when i go back into the emby app, and the same movie, the resume button is there, with a time that is what is currently showing on the server dashboard (as the server has been "playing" it all along). And when i play the same movie again, the server dashboard updates, but that seems to orphan the transcoding files. I think that's where the problem may stem from.

@@ebr , Is there a way for the server to halt the playback (like the back key) when the app exits via home button/reset/power loss/etc ?

Thanks,

Erik

Note: My family typically stops watching a video with the roku (emby app) by pressing the home button. Is that causing the temp files to build up?

Yes, that is the problem.  Unfortunately, the Roku system gives the app absolutely no indication or warning that that happened so the playback is left in a sort of stranded state.

We are trying to figure out a way to better handle the situation on the server.

Thanks.

Thanks @@ebr

I'll try and educate them for now and hope for a fix.

Just as a question? Is there a way I can have the the server have a scheduled task or something that can check for orphaned transcoding files? Otherwise this keeps happening after a couple days and I'm not home to fix it all the time.

Thanks again

Just as a question? Is there a way I can have the the server have a scheduled task or something that can check for orphaned transcoding files? Otherwise this keeps happening after a couple days and I'm not home to fix it all the time.

The server not cleaning those up properly is considered a bug and we will get it addressed.

in the meantime, you could schedule a regular re-start of the server which would clear them out.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hello,

As discussed here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/54913-loading-repetitively/

When exiting playback on a Roku device using the home button, the Roku doesn't provide any notification to the server that the playback should be stopped. Therefore, via the server dashboard the server continues play/stream/transcode the item and never removes the associated files from the "transcoding-temp" directory.

I had previously used the server restart plugin to have the directory cleaned up every night and and avoid the playback loading loop in the thread linked.

Several other threads that would benefit from a solution to orphaned transcoding-temp files, so although a solution specific to the roku is needed. An overall solution is needed as well for the server to monitor or clear these files.

Here are the other threads:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/53090-transcoding-temp-dir-has-4001-items-122gb/?hl=%2Btranscoding+%2Bdirectory

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/52038-holy-cache-file-batman/?hl=%2Btranscoding+%2Bdirectory

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/51705-transcoding-clean-up/page-6

Thanks,

Erik

Edited by Erik