Transcoding clean up

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

Did something change on the clean up of transcoding temp folder? Just remoted into my machine from work to find my c drive 100‰ full. After digging around I discovered of the temp fold was taking up 67 GB of my 111 GB drive. As I am at work and posting from my mobile I will try and get logs tonight.

The folder is cleaned automatically when playback stops. When live tv is active, the folder is also used as storage for the active stream.

mediacowboy

Thanks Luke, I guess it's time to buy a bigger and better hard drive or another hard drive.

CBers

Thanks Luke, I guess it's time to buy a bigger and better hard drive or another hard drive.

Move your transcoding temp folder to your DriveBender pool, I have.

Guest asrequested

I was checking my transcode folder last night, and there are files from shows long past, and it won't let me delete them. I'll probably have to shut down the server to delete them. If I see it happen again, I'll post logs.

mediacowboy

Move your transcoding temp folder to your DriveBender pool, I have.

I was thinking add a 2tb 7200 ssd to the server.

mediacowboy

I was checking my transcode folder last night, and there are files from shows long past, and it won't let me delete them. I'll probably have to shut down the server to delete them. If I see it happen again, I'll post logs.

Restart your server and you can delete them.

maegibbons

Hmm.. 

Was wondering if this could have anything to do with the high memory/memory leak threads.  Handles and buffers associated with locked temporary transcode files.

Krs

Mark

Guest asrequested

Hmm..

Was wondering if this could have anything to do with the high memory/memory leak threads. Handles and buffers associated with locked temporary transcode files.

Krs

Mark

I haven't had that problem.

Guest asrequested

Restart your server and you can delete them.

That hasn't worked. I don't actually know how long they've been there. They aren't shows that I've recoorded. I only looked at the folder because I was doing something with the drive and I noticed that I had 60GBs used. I'll take a closer look when I get home.

mediacowboy

It'll die eventually and need replacing :)

The whole server will eventually die sometime. [emoji16]. Also it's only $100 and mainly used for live TV. Everything else in my house is direct stream.
  • Like 1

mediacowboy

Hmm that has worked for me both times but I have done it while emby is rebooting.

Guest asrequested

I've got a dedicated M.2 SSD for mine. Thinking about it, the Mibox directstreams everything, so that will go through the transcode folder. That may have been what happened. I'll have to investigate.

mediacowboy

Until such time comes that I want to spend more money on the server, not everyone can be @, I have moved the transcoding file to my misc drive in my server. It has 1.20 TB free space. If I need more then that I will talk to the family about leaving Live TV Playing when they aren't in the room.

mediacowboy

Correction most my stuff is "Direct Playing" on my Roku's not direct streaming.

Edited by mediacowboy

CBers

Thinking about it, the Mibox directstreams everything, so that will go through the transcode folder.

Why would it "go through the transcode folder"?

Correction most my stuff is "Direct Playing" on my Roku's not direct streaming.

Are you sure? Are you taking that from the dashboard?

Is the Roku capable of accessing the sources directly?

If you shutdown your Emby server, would it carry on playing?

Guest asrequested

I know you feel Direct Streaming is 'direct', but that's only for video. Direct streaming is changing the file properties in some way. Remuxing, audio transcode, HTTP serving.... This requires a buffer/temporary location for the file/stream to be re-written and then sent to the device. If you open your transcode folder and play something on a device that direct streams, you'll see a temp file, created.

CBers

I know you feel Direct Streaming is 'direct', but that's only for video. Direct streaming is changing the file properties in some way. Remuxing, audio transcode, HTTP serving.... This requires a buffer/temporary location for the file/stream to be re-written and then sent to the device. If you open your transcode folder and play something on a device that direct streams, you'll see a temp file, created.

Here we go again :)

Direct Streaming is through the server without FFMPEG involved, so doesn't use the transcoding folder.

Direct Streaming creates a stream from the source, through the server, as the client cannot access the source directly.

Remuxing, audio or video, is via FFMPEG, so will use the transcoding folder.

mediacowboy

Are you sure? Are you taking that from the dashboard?

Is the Roku capable of accessing the sources directly?

If you shutdown your Emby server, would it carry on playing?

Yep. And I often reboot the server while people are playing media.

Guest asrequested

Here we go again :)

Direct Streaming is through the server without FFMPEG involved, so doesn't use the transcoding folder.

Direct Streaming creates a stream from the source, through the server, as the client cannot access the source directly.

Remuxing, audio or video, is via FFMPEG, so will use the transcoding folder.

I tested it. It did go through my transcode folder.