Transcoding clean up

mediacowboy

leekingsnatch

I'm going to add another bit of information. I have the same exact problem with files not being deleted from the Temp transcode folder using the Android App, and the fireTV app. I see .mkv files getting created but not being deleted after I stop the stream or click the Home button. This happens on both TV and Movies. Streaming from the web browser, creates a crap load of files (not just .mkv files) but they are deleted NOT after I stop the playback but after I click on the Home button.

Jdiesel

I just tried again on the Android app and web app to replicate this but I am not able to reproduce it. For me it is only on the Roku app that it occurs.

@leekingsnatch Do you have any ffmpeg logs for the videos that failed to clean from your transcoding-temp folder?

leekingsnatch

I just tried again on the Android app and web app to replicate this but I am not able to reproduce it. For me it is only on the Roku app that it occurs.

@leekingsnatch Do you have any ffmpeg logs for the videos that failed to clean from your transcoding-temp folder?

Attached ffmpeg logs ffmpeglog.txt and server logs serverlog.txt

leekingsnatch

Can you provide some discussion of this example? thanks.

This example was taken using the Android app. Before I generated those logs, I set the transcoding directory back to the default C:\Users\leeking\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\transcoding-temp directory instead of the original RAM drive that I had set up previously just to keep things "default" if you will. I started streaming a movie and I set the quality low (720 2 Mb/sec) in order to force transcoding. Then I monitored the C:\Users\leeking\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\transcoding-temp directory and I saw an .mkv file get created in that directory that matched the timestamp of when I started streaming. I stopped the movie. The .mkv file remained in the transcoding-temp directory. I clicked the home button. File stayed.

Even now I'm looking at the transcoding-temp directory and it has a bunch of .ts files from two hours ago from a person who had been streaming content. This person is no longer streaming, however I can't tell if they were using the IOS app or Safari on their phone.

Edited by leekingsnatch

Jdiesel

I also had to clean out my transcoding-temp folder again this morning. Had about 15GB of leftover files in the last 12 hours. All playback was from Roku clients with a mix of local files and live TV.

This example was taken using the Android app. Before I generated those logs, I set the transcoding directory back to the default C:\Users\leeking\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\transcoding-temp directory instead of the original RAM drive that I had set up previously just to keep things "default" if you will. I started streaming a movie and I set the quality low (720 2 Mb/sec) in order to force transcoding. Then I monitored the C:\Users\leeking\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\transcoding-temp directory and I saw an .mkv file get created in that directory that matched the timestamp of when I started streaming. I stopped the movie. The .mkv file remained in the transcoding-temp directory. I clicked the home button. File stayed.

Even now I'm looking at the transcoding-temp directory and it has a bunch of .ts files from two hours ago from a person who had been streaming content. This person is no longer streaming, however I can't tell if they were using the IOS app or Safari on their phone.

How did you stop playback?

No that should be fine, but please note it will not clean up the folder right away. Without an actual stop it will take anywhere from 60-90 seconds. If you hit back in the video player to stop playback then everything is cleaned up immediately. Is this in line with what you're seeing?

Guest asrequested

I look forward to the update, but I thought I'd add this. Multiple files not cleared out. I thought I'd show the system clock so you have a time frame.

59e04aba73a6c_Snapshot_263.jpg

leekingsnatch

No that should be fine, but please note it will not clean up the folder right away. Without an actual stop it will take anywhere from 60-90 seconds. If you hit back in the video player to stop playback then everything is cleaned up immediately. Is this in line with what you're seeing?

Not what I'm seeing. I have a bunch of .ts files in that folder from the previous day. So it doesn't seem to be cleaning them up as it should.

rbjtech

I schedule a job to run @ 04:00 every morning -

net stop "Emby"
timeout /t 30
net start "Emby"
del "d:\emby\transcoding-temp\*.*" /s /q

Never had an issue since  :)

leekingsnatch

net stop "Emby"
timeout /t 30
net start "Emby"

Well yeah if you wanna take the obvious route :)

net stop "Emby"
timeout /t 30
net start "Emby"

You shouldn't need that delete command as Emby will clear it out on restart.

Guest asrequested

I now have 20 items in the temp folder. The files that were there in my last post, are still there. On server restart, they did get cleaned.

Jdiesel

I'm still seeing this on 3.2.33.9. Upgraded to 3.2.33.9 about 5 hours ago, server restart cleared the transcoding-temp folder at the time. Since the restart all transcoded/remuxed streams are not being removed from the transcoding-temp folder. Attached is a server log and directory contents with timestamps.

This morning i went about to install a package on my debian box / emby server. I am on emby beta .12  It said my drive was full, odd since last night i had like 30 gigs free ( different drive to store movies and such ) so i went to look about and my cache directory for emby had bloated up to 44gigs in size! 

So i have a couple questions, 1 is this at all normal? 2 is there a way i could set a limit on the cache? 

Ok seems i found the very specific culprit:

-rw-r--r-- 1 emby emby 44G Oct 20 07:20 110cfab800204a9f9c2d57f4c3d5768f.ts
which is in transcoding. 
Edited by tdiguy

Happy2Play

The Cache folder or the Transcode-temp folder?  There are a couple topics in the regular forum on transcode folder not clearing all the time. 

It was the transcoding folder under cache. I am not sure which it is honestly. My transcoding folder is /var/lib/emby/transcoding-temp this folder was: /var/lib/emby/transcoding-temp

It also seemed to grow to huge size overnight, when nobody was using emby.