Little Confused about Live TV

Airbender

Airbender

Hello Guys

I am little confused about Live TV

1- Do i need HTPC with TV Tuner to get this live tv to work ?

2- Do i need Cable connections connected to Tuner card ?

3- Do i need MBT or WMC or MBC ?

See i dont have htpc anymore all my HTPC computers diead so now i have 2 laptops 2 tablets 2 phone and 2 Roku

and the server where MB3 is installed and i installed the plugin in server side but i have no idea how to get it working. second i dont have cable tv only internet service

So how do i get this Live tv to work

Thanks in advance

Starkadius

Do i need HTPC with TV Tuner to get this live tv to work ?

No you dont need an HTPC/Desktop but you do need a TV Tuner. You can use any of the SiliconDust HDHomeRun tuners such as this one SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL High Definition Digital TV Tuner HDHR3-US. This connects to your router in the house and any network device is able to connect to it.

Do i need Cable connections connected to Tuner card ?

If by cable you mean "Cable TV" with paid programming then no you dont need that you can get free channels with OTA(Over the air) signals. For example if you have a TV at home with an antenna and whatever channels it picks up, those are the ones the HDHomeRun tuner will receive. 

The HDHomeRun (TV Tuner) will need a physical cable though. An antenna connected to the port on the tuner to receive any signals.

Do i need MBT or WMC or MBC ?

As of right now the only two sources that receive Live TV are the web client and Media Center (MBC)

Latchmor

Hi guys, you DO need a PC with WMC at the moment as the only Live TV plugin is ServerWMC. Tuner can be in the PC or Network.

The ONLY client is the web client, MBC does not have Live TV.

Cheers

Edited by Latchmor

Airbender

I have high end tv tuner card I can install it on my server and use it then and yes web client will do for live tv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starkadius

Hi guys, you DO need a PC with WMC at the moment as the only Live TV plugin is ServerWMC. Tuner can be in the PC or Network.

The ONLY client is the web client, MBC does not.

Cheers

For WMC you need a PC of course but the PC running WMC does not need to have the tuner installed on it, it will detect the HDHomerun on the network it is connected to.

Latchmor

I have high end tv tuner card I can install it on my server and use it then and yes web client will do for live tv

Hi, you must have WMC on a PC somewhere in your setup to get Live TV working. That PC must have an internal TV Tuner or access to a Network TV Tuner. You just said you have "tv tuner card" which sounds internal so you'll need a PC with WMC to install this in.

The 'must have' at the moment is a PC with Windows Media Center.

Cheers

Latchmor

Hi @@Airbender see if this helps. A couple options below with the only difference being the 1st uses an internal TV Tuner like you have and the 2nd uses a Network TV Tuner.

Internal TV Tuner

1. TV Signal ->

2. TV Tuner (In PC) ->

3. Windows Media Center ->

4. ServerWMC ->

5. MB Server ServerWMC Plugin ->

6. Live TV in MB Web Client

In the above setup steps 2, 3 and 4 are all the same PC.

Network TV Tuner

1. TV Signal ->

2. Network TV Tuner ->

3. Windows Media Center ->

4. ServerWMC ->

5. MB Server ServerWMC Plugin ->

6. Live TV in MB Web Client

In this one steps 3 and 4 are same PC.

There can be other steps if you use DVBLink software which I don't so I was just listing the most basic setups so far.

Cheers

Latchmor

Airbender

Hi thanks guys I will have to see if my server which is windows seven with wmc has a slot open as I filled so many slots with pcie and PCI sata cards perhaps network tuner card won't hurt as I have over 100 dollars gift card and store credit from newegg.com and can't find anything to buy so I can get network extranal tv tuner box and connect it to my routor or switch

Airbender

The question is which tuner box will be the best ?? Again thanks guys and sorry I been so far behind with so much new thing in MB 3 and now getting my feet wet in world of MB 3 :)

Airbender

Also one last thing HD free live Chanel's sound interesting but In this case only few Chanel's will be available so in this case I thought live tv plugin was for tv Chanel from the net like bbc or CNN or MTV kind

Airbender

Interesting I can get this for $79.99 from newegg SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL High Definition Digital TV Tuner HDHR3-US (Black) (2013 Model)

mboehler

Interesting I can get this for $79.99 from newegg SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL High Definition Digital TV Tuner HDHR3-US (Black) (2013 Model)

I can recommend this device.  I have the (White) version.  It has 2 TV Tuners in it and connectw to your network.  Since it connects to the network, you do not need a PCI slot in your PC.  

I have an OTA (Over the Air) TV antenna, and I used a splitter to connect both tuners in the HDHomeRun Dual.  Then you just have to set up Windows Media Center on your PC to use the tuners.  Install ServerWMC on the PC with WMC, then install the ServerWMC Plugin into MBServer (this can be on the same PC or a different one), and you will be all set.

Edited by mboehler

Airbender

Thanks to everyone perhaps i can make video tut for it and share here :)

• 1 month later...
dkuser_mb3

A (video) tutorial would be greeeaat :-)

I'm about to start getting my HDHomerun connected to my MB3 box

/Jon

sbaeder@aol.com

Just remember - First things First...Get Windows Media Center FULLY working the way you want.  Internal or network tuner; CabelCard or Over The Air; etc.   Server WMC is then added to the same computer that has WMC running on it...Basically it is the bridge from WMC to MB3...Then FINALLY, install and configure the plug in...