CCTV NVR software on Windows

CBers

CBers

Anyone using any CCTV NVR software on Windows (10) ??

If so, what software do you use please.

I have a couple of IP (PoE) cameras and I have been looking at iSpyConnect and Blue Iris, but I'm sure there are others.

Doesn't have to be free software, as long as it is being kept up to date.

Thanks.

• Like 1

SkyBehind

Anyone using any CCTV NVR software on Windows (10) ??

If so, what software do you use please.

I have a couple of IP (PoE) cameras and I have been looking at iSpyConnect and Blue Iris, but I'm sure there are others.

Doesn't have to be free software, as long as it is being kept up to date.

Thanks.

I had looked into it last year and mine if narrowed it down to Xeoma, but then Shinobi came out and that's what I plan to go to. Xeoma isn't expensive at all, Shinobi is free.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

SkyBehind

Ha, yeah. Running strong on Pure Nexus. I can't believe this phone is almost 4 years old and I see no need to upgrade!

CBers

Ha, yeah. Running strong on Pure Nexus. I can't believe this phone is almost 4 years old and I see no need to upgrade!

I totally agree, although only had mine 2 years.

SkyBehind

Me too, I got it used. It came out in 2014 though. Was pretty ahead of it's time I guess

Swynol

i use blue iris, used it for around 4 years with no issues. Check ebay out for very cheap licences. 

• Like 1

CBers

i use blue iris, used it for around 4 years with no issues. Check ebay out for very cheap licences.

Really? EBay?

Thanks @@Swynol.

Swynol

ye i think i paid around £20-£25 for the pro licence a few years back. its currently $59.99. I like blue iris because it comes with a good mobile app, integrates with my Samsung Smartthings and its generally easy to use and supports most if not all cameras. 

i run it on an i3 3420 with 8GB ram. with recording set to motion. i only have 6 cameras on it but with all of them recording at once it does max out my CPU. cameras are a mix of 1080p and 3mp. 

CBers

Nice.

I'll have a look on eBay.

So is the PRO licence a lifetime licence, or per year?

Swynol

its lifetime licence. only pay once. you get tech support for 1 year. if you want to have continued support you can pay a yearly sub. i havent bothered. 

i also tried ispy, cant really remember why i didnt go with it, only that i preferred blue iris

CBers

I tried iSpyConnect, but it reminds me of something from the 80's :)

I found the Blue Iris sellers on eBay, but they weren't that much cheaper than via the official site.

My son has been trialling Shinobi for his house, but it's not supported on Windows, so I think it will be Blue Iris.

• Like 1

SkyBehind

I tried iSpyConnect, but it reminds me of something from the 80's :)

I found the Blue Iris sellers on eBay, but they weren't that much cheaper than via the official site.

My son has been trialling Shinobi for his house, but it's not supported on Windows, so I think it will be Blue Iris.

Is it a dedicated box? Have a read, it sounds like CCTV software isn't your problem.

https://i.redd.it/6y44mg652hpz.png

SkyBehind

I don't have an issue with Unix, I am a Unix System Admin by trade, but don't use it at home.

I always think you have great suggestions on the forum and always give constructive criticism, so I figured I'd give you a hard time, lol.

What did your son think about Shinobi? I've been following it for a while but haven't gotten started on my camera project yet.

• Like 1

CBers

What did your son think about Shinobi? I've been following it for a while but haven't gotten started on my camera project yet.

He's still playing with it.

He's also testing iSpyConnect and Blue Iris.

I like Blue Iris, so I think I may stick with that.

CBers

Just bought a lifetime licence for Blue Iris and 3 more cameras, which I shall install over the next few days.

• Like 1

Sammy

LOL. CBers. I've had those same three cameras in a box from Monoprice for six months now but I do have 2 going right now. They are Monoprice PoE IP cameras with a power injecting 10/100 switch. They are set to run at 30fps in Blue Iris and do great. I have to yet maximize my DVR space (100 gigs right now) but have a 4 TB drive dedicated to this for when I get the remaining 6 cameras in my set up installed. I have it set to delete recordings over 3 days old and it records 24/7 with occasional motion flags set which makes it easier to find something you may want to find later.

Right now BI runs at only about 6%CPU on an i5 Devil's Canyon when the console isn't running. I don't run the console very often; only when I'm changing settings or looking at recordings. It is here were the CPU cycles go up to maybe 50%. If I have something downloading on top of that, I get up there really high so I'm going to have to do some CPU optimization when I add more cams.

The app is really pretty good and there's an add on program called Blue Iris Tools that allows for additional settings and will restart the Blue Iris Server if it goes down for whatever reason. Pretty handy. It is written by Fenderman over at ipcamtalk. There's also a Blue Iris plugin that works pretty well in Vera that makes the Cameras work as motion sensors to trigger other things.

All in all I think it is a great investment. I have the pro version as well and have been using it for about six months now and have no complaints. They are pretty good at bug fixes and such but I've never had to contact them for support as the ipcamtalk forum works pretty well to get support.

Hope this helps and enjoy!

• Like 1

CBers

Thanks @@Sammy.

I've already signed up at IPCAMTALK and I found the Blue Iris Tools, but haven't installed it as yet :)

I've bought SV3C cameras, 3x DOME and 1x BULLET, but I will get a couple more as they're really good and reasonably priced.

Gonna start running the cables today and over the weekend, so hopefully my Sunday I'll have 4 running. Then I can tweak all the settings in BI.

I like the BI phone app, as I can cast the live streams to my Shield TV's.

I may be in touch with you for some pointers, if/when I get stuck :D

Sammy

Thanks @@Sammy.

I've already signed up at IPCAMTALK and I found the Blue Iris Tools, but haven't installed it as yet :)

I've bought SV3C cameras, 3x DOME and 1x BULLET, but I will get a couple more as they're really good and reasonably priced.

Gonna start running the cables today and over the weekend, so hopefully my Sunday I'll have 4 running. Then I can tweak all the settings in BI.

I like the BI phone app, as I can cast the live streams to my Shield TV's.

I may be in touch with you for some pointers, if/when I get stuck :D

IDK if you know but our very own @@chef wrote the Security Cameras Plugin. He is also a member of the MiCasaVerde (Vera) forums and might be a better resource than I.

scalda

Hi all,

I have been following this thread since my dad (@CBers) put it up.

Over the last week I have been trying all sorts of software from the BI that you guys seem to be using and also about 20 other pieces of software, and none of them would work and give a nice steady stream from my one indoor PTZ wifi camera (i do have 2 SV3C Poe bullet cameras on their way) but nothing would work with my little AOBO PTZ camera until I found LUXRIOT EVO and I must say it works flawlessly with my little IP camera (25fps 2.2MB bitrate) and a couple of old phones using the IP webcam app.

LUXRIOT also has an app similar to the BI one and has all the same functions as that plus the added bonus of LUXRIOT being free.

Luxriot has 2 components a server and then the client (you can use an AIO install for both though).

just my 2 cents worth lol

• Like 1

CBers

@@Swynol and @@Sammy

Do you use the GEOFENCE option within Blue Iris?

Also, now having 4 cameras installed, the network traffic that BI uses is mad, even though during the day, the cameras aren't active for motion detection.

Any thoughts, comments please?

Thanks.

Swynol

i have my cameras and blue iris on a separate VLAN. i've limited the cams to 2Mbps for the 1080p and 1Mbps for 720p. this gives me smooth frames at 25 fps. i have continuous recording on but with motion detection alerts. This is my preferred way as i found that motion detection didnt always go off. So now it records all the time but still gives me the MD alerts at the bottom which you can skip to. 

I dont use the geofence option, although i have looked into using my samsung smartthings to send geofence info to blue iris, but i preferred to just have blue iris record all the time.

CBers

So is that the bitrate in the camera settings themselves?

If so, then mine are all at 2048 in each of the camera's settings.

The GEOFENCE option looks good, if it works, but it didn't earlier when I went out :(

I haven't noticed excessive network traffic but my PC with Blue Iris also has a lot of other network and internet intensive tasks going on  ;)  at the same time too. I do know that closing the BI console will cut the CPU usage by about 50 percentage points which equates to a reduction of about 60% to 70%, at least for me on my i5-4670k, YMMV.

I did tweak the camera settings somewhat.. There's transcoding settings to change.

I had geofencing enabled on only my Galaxy S7 but it was giving issues on my wife's iPhone 6s (as reported by her, I haven't had the time to investigate) so I disabled it..

BTW, the in-app Help File is really quite extensive on how to tweak the settings. Take a look at that.

I hope this helps.