Calling all Plexiles

adrianwi

Coxeroni

I came here to see what Emby can offer and I like trying new stuff. Guess I keep Plex for now for the wife and keep playing with Emby for myself, let's see how that goes. I am also a Plex pass lifetime victim from 6 months ago, so I hesitate to give my have earned Euros to another company.

• Like 1

heciruam

I'm also PLEX refugee here. I'm ready to be assimilated into this foreign but greener land^^.

I've been with PLEX about 4 years and have been testing out emby for about a month but I haven't had enough time to get it set up the way I want to.

Edited by heciruam
  • Like 1

Just wondering how many new users emby has acquired in the last month, and in the coming month, that were previously users of Plex.

I've noticed a few threads to suggest there are a few, but thought it might be nice to try and count them :D

+1

Me!

Likely getting a lifetime Premier.

Guest dannaz423

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of making the move it Emby too, I have a few questions about it first though would love to get some answers!

1. How is Emby on a Raspberry Pi? It's one of the main players I use and RasPlex is just really good.

2. So it seems Emby has a similar system to Plex with Users (Family) and Guests (Friends). My question is do users (family) need to pay for apps if I have Emby Premiere? Or can they use the apps to access my server fine, I assume Guests would need apps though.

3. Is there a way to rate content? Plex has a 5-star system or pretty much everything. I see there is a favourite option which is alright but is there more detailed ratings especially for music?

4. I'm not sure if I'm really blind, but is there a way to just shuffle all my music? I see can do it for playlists/genres but is it possible to just shuffle the whole library?

Thanks so much everyone, I'm pretty keen to make the move I think Emby is the type of program that I'm looking for. Also as a side note anyone managed to get refunds from Plex for Plex Pass? 

BAlGaInTl

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of making the move it Emby too, I have a few questions about it first though would love to get some answers!

1. How is Emby on a Raspberry Pi? It's one of the main players I use and RasPlex is just really good.

2. So it seems Emby has a similar system to Plex with Users (Family) and Guests (Friends). My question is do users (family) need to pay for apps if I have Emby Premiere? Or can they use the apps to access my server fine, I assume Guests would need apps though.

3. Is there a way to rate content? Plex has a 5-star system or pretty much everything. I see there is a favourite option which is alright but is there more detailed ratings especially for music?

4. I'm not sure if I'm really blind, but is there a way to just shuffle all my music? I see can do it for playlists/genres but is it possible to just shuffle the whole library?

Thanks so much everyone, I'm pretty keen to make the move I think Emby is the type of program that I'm looking for. Also as a side note anyone managed to get refunds from Plex for Plex Pass? 

I don't have all the answers, but I will try to help. 

1. I'm not running on a Raspberry Pi, but I believe that others do.  You may want to check out that forum: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/169-raspberry-pi/

2. The premiere license is tied to the server.  The key only has to be entered once, and everyone connecting to that server takes advantage of it.  So, they do NOT have to buy the apps if connecting to a premiere server.   That being said, there is a device limit that you could hit.  So far, I haven't hit that limit.  I "believe" that it's 15 devices registered.  If a device hasn't been used in a while, it will fall off the list.  I think that the devs are working on a way to better see/manage the limit.

3. I haven't noticed more detailed ratings.  I haven't really had the need.

4. I poked around and saw the same thing as you.  I can't see where it's directly supported, but maybe I'm missing it.

Keep in mind there is also an active feature request forum.  You can always do a search there and +1 (like) any topic you find interesting.  The devs do actively monitor it and provide feedback.

ShadowBlade72

I'm a recent Plexile as well. The privacy policy and their B.S. way of implementing the "opt-out" was enough to make me realize that they don't care about those who use their software. We were just a source of information they could mine so they can offer it all to whoever buys their company in the future.

I'm happy with Emby so far. I have it tied into Organizr and Ombi. I also picked up a Premier subscription when I moved all of my users over from Plex.

The devs and mods here have a serious presence which is awesome. It feels like the users are a lot more connected to the development process.

I look forward to more great things from Emby in the future.

maegibbons

There have been some bumps along the way, but I must say that I've enjoyed the experience much more than Plex.

Emby is a way of life!!!  Plex is just software.

The emby community is excellent and responsive and so are @@Luke and @@ebr

Well done guys.  You make us happy!!

Krs

Mark

hstamas

I have been migrating from Plex to Emby over the past few months and am bout 98% there mostly because of the excellent Kodi integration. Plex Kodi Connect over on the Plex side tries really hard but it just kept failing me on the simple thing like syncing watched status etc to keep messing around with it.  I keep Plex running right now because I travel a lot for work and need to be able to sync content to my iPhone. Once that feature is available (or I switch to Android which Im considering doing since I refuse to pay what Apple is asking for to upgrade to the latest/greatest)  I will be deleting Plex completely.

Add me to the list, trying this week after work hours to move everything over.  I have been testing it this week and think I'm prepared to roll it out to the wife and kids this weekend.   Hope to turn off the Plex server soon!

xairrick

Current Plexie Here.  I would love to switch to Emby, but the options for rating/shuffling/filtering on Emby aren't there yet.  

Here is my situation   I have ~10,000 songs.  about 1000 are crap I don't want to listen to them.  ~1500 are good songs and another ~250 great songs.   When at home working i want to shuffle all 9000 songs.   On my mobile devices I want to be able to sync the good & great songs (phone, phone for running, & tablet) when playing from phone I need to be able to shuffle songs.   When I have friends over for party I want to play the great songs (also on shuffle).   

I couldn't figure out a way to do this Emby.

Edited by xairrick

Ability to get a library off the home screen - check (for next release)

So the main thing i see here is improvements to filtering, sorting, as well as play/shuffle - in progress.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 4

Gilgamesh_48

Ability to get a library off the home screen - check (for next release)

So the main thing i see here is improvements to filtering, sorting, as well as play/shuffle - in progress.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thank you! But, when??? 

I know I should show patience but at my age that is hard so I often want immediate gratification. ;)  :P

I guess I will wait if I have to. but that is not one of my strengths.

Oh, one real question: Is that for all the clients? That is once a library is set to not populate the main screen does that mean no client will see its content in continue watching etc?

Or, am I misunderstanding what you have said? That is also possible at my age.

Thank you! But, when??? 

I know I should show patience but at my age that is hard so I often want immediate gratification. ;)  :P

I guess I will wait if I have to. but that is not one of my strengths.

Oh, one real question: Is that for all the clients? That is once a library is set to not populate the main screen does that mean no client will see its content in continue watching etc?

Or, am I misunderstanding what you have said? That is also possible at my age.

It will affect all apps except for the continue watching section. that will require an app update but it won't take long.

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

It will affect all apps except for the continue watching section. that will require an app update but it won't take long.

Thank you. Now define "not long."

For potato salad "not long" can be a few hours but for a mountain it can be thousands of years. I hope we are closer to potato salad than we are to a mountain.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

It will be in the next release of each app, and those will all be submitted soon but when they will be in your hands I cannot say due to factors out of our control such as waiting in line for app store approval, etc.

• Like 1

It will be in the next release of each app, and those will all be submitted soon but when they will be in your hands I cannot say due to factors out of our control such as waiting in line for app store approval, etc.

As a recent convert from your competition, I have to say this level of communication and accommodation from a developer is a breath of fresh air.  I purchased a lifetime license today.  

Thank you. 

• Like 7

Gilgamesh_48

I received the update this AM and the option to restrict libraries from the home screen is working wonderfully.

I did notice that most of my libraries were set to not show by default and I was wondering how that was determined on initial release? However I neglected to document which ones were and were not displayed. 

I "think" it would have been better to default all libraries to displayed but it was not and the damage, if any, has already been done. 

I am quite happy with the change and thank you very much for making it. 

Now when are you going to add mind reading so all I have to do is think about a movie/TV show I want to watch and it starts. Then you can also add "make popcorn" and "fetch beer" and "walk the dog" and my full "Garfield" mode of watching TV will approach reality.

They all are displayed by default. Your initial value corresponds to however you had configured the latest media setting before.