Calling all Plexiles

adrianwi

adrianwi

Just wondering how many new users emby has acquired in the last month, and in the coming month, that were previously users of Plex.

I've noticed a few threads to suggest there are a few, but thought it might be nice to try and count them :D

+1

• Like 3

Mystical666

Hi, seen your posts on the Plex forums recently and wondered when you would arrive here ;)

I jumped to Emby a while back when I saw some of the decisions Plex had started to make that I was not keen on.

Emby is great (some find it a little unpolished compared to Plex but some dont) and like Plex has a good community around it.

I would expect to see a few more people arrive in the next few days

• Like 1

paulsalter

I am not new to Emby, been using it on and off for a few years, but about 4 months ago i made the switch to using it full time

For my usage i find Emby server is more a setup and leave it to do its thing than Plex (better metadata handling)

• Like 1

afullmark

Testing it, it's great, will fully switch if the lack of filters/search features for movies is resolved some day.

Yes, I made a comment in the 'Smart Playlists' feature request to this effect. 

WilhelmStroker

Yup another Plexile here. Using both Emby and Plex side by side at the moment, still leaning towards Plex but there are a number of things I really like about Emby, not at least the responsiveness of developers in the forum.

• Like 1

WilhelmStroker

For what, specifically?

Little things such as a non working last.fm plugin, no next episode button in Emby Theater and PlexPy. Some of the PlexPy functionality I use is available as plugins (Reports and Statistics) but notifications in PlexPy are a lot more mature (grouping etc). Plex seems to work better on my Android outside my network too, but I don't really use it that often.

Edited by WilhelmStroker

Little things such as a non working last.fm plugin, no next episode button in Emby Theater and PlexPy. Some of the PlexPy functionality I use is available as plugins (Reports and Statistics) but notifications in PlexPy are a lot more mature (grouping etc). Plex seems to work better on my Android outside my network too, but I don't really use it that often.

As mentioned elsewhere, the PlexPy dev isn't willing to port it to Emby, so the best we have currently are the STATISTICS and REPORTING plugins.

For the other issues, perhaps raise a separate thread in the relevant forum.

View this link to see How to report a Problem.

• Like 1

Gilgamesh_48

I have almost completely moved from Plex to Emby. In fact there are three things (maybe others) that are encouraging me to keep my Plex server active:

1. There are few sorting/filter/display options in the Emby clients.

2. There is no way to exclude libraries from having their content displayed in sections like Continue watching.

3. My Plex server is running on my Shield Pro and it does not seem to interfere with anything so there seems no reason to remove it.

However Emby is just as good as Plex and better in many ways for my use and I am using Emby for virtually everything.

Another nail in Plex;s coffin has just been rolled out. They now in their Android client havw a forced "News" section. That is they seem to be intruding into the "media choice" that their users make. The "news" section is ad supported and, although currently nothing get forced to play, it is just a small step to having forced ads within Plex.

Plex does not seem to care about alienating a subset of their users if it enriches Plex. 

Emby does not show that level of greed and I hope they continue to be responsive without being intrusive.

• Like 6

WilhelmStroker

As mentioned elsewhere, the PlexPy dev isn't willing to port it to Emby, so the best we have currently are the STATISTICS and REPORTING plugins.

For the other issues, perhaps raise a separate thread in the relevant forum.

View this link to see How to report a Problem.

Yup already raised a feature request and bumped the last.fm plugin thread.

• Like 1

Jdiesel

Another nail in Plex;s coffin has just been rolled out. They now in their Android client havw a forced "News" section. That is they seem to be intruding into the "media choice" that their users make. The "news" section is ad supported and, although currently nothing get forced to play, it is just a small step to having forced ads within Plex.

Is this why there is an influx of people moving over? I haven't been on the Plex forums for a couple of weeks but that would be the last straw for me.

WilhelmStroker

Is this why there is an influx of people moving over? I haven't been on the Plex forums for a couple of weeks but that would be the last straw for me.

For some people it's the privacy policy change, others (like me) are getting fed up with the lack of updates and new features in the apps they're using. The News update was only announced today.

Gilgamesh_48

I "Think" it will be a reason but it just happened so it has not had that impact, yet.

As mentioned by others the Plex privacy policy (should really be called a removal of privacy policy) and their near total lack of interaction with their users and, for me the most important, their continuing addition of half baked features without finishing any and introducing bugs and making major changes that degrade the performance of their clients.

They lie to their users both directly and by omission.

Edited by Gilgamesh_48
  • Like 1

CorpusColossus

Plexile here--I made the mistake of purchasing a lifetime Plex Pass about 6 months back. With all that has happened in that time, I sure feel dumb!

I'll go with the monthly Emby plan I think. If all goes well, it will probably mean I'll end up contributing more money to the Emby project than if I were to purchase the lifetime pass. And I am happy to do so as long as Emby can avoid the mistakes Plex has made! (i.e. ad-supported "features", privacy policy, etc. mentioned elsewhere)

Looking forward to trying out Emby and running it in parallel with Plex (it's going to be tough to switch the family over, they just got acclimated to using Plex). It'll be a good excuse to pull all the Raspberry Pis out of their cubbies too, since I need to load 'em up with Emby players.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

Yeah, I received the email today about Plex's News announcement and I had to laugh. I went over to the Plex forums just to see how much outrage would be posted over there. Grab some popcorn and get ready for some forum entertainment! I may go over to Reddit as I am sure that one is on fire too. (I think I have too much time on my hands these days!).

But seriously, I had been testing both Plex and Emby for a while. I really got into the HTPC server hobby with Media Browser (which became Emby) so I have always been more partial to Emby. I decided firmly against Plex for 2 reasons - their buggy DVR that hasn't been fixed in 4 months yet they send out Ads and get hailed as the greatest DVR ever! (FAKE News!), then the Privacy Policy change came around and I was done. This News "feature" would have been the last straw for me if I still had any straws left. 

It will be straight up nothing but Emby on my HTPC from now on since the Devs actually listen and work with their users to create a really great project. When bugs do pop up they work hard to get them fixed as fast as possible. Top notch team in my opinion. 

• Like 3

afullmark

I have almost completely moved from Plex to Emby. In fact there are three things (maybe others) that are encouraging me to keep my Plex server active:

1. There are few sorting/filter/display options in the Emby clients.

2. There is no way to exclude libraries from having their content displayed in sections like Continue watching.

3. My Plex server is running on my Shield Pro and it does not seem to interfere with anything so there seems no reason to remove it.

However Emby is just as good as Plex and better in many ways for my use and I am using Emby for virtually everything.

Plex does not seem to care about alienating a subset of their users if it enriches Plex. 

Emby does not show that level of greed and I hope they continue to be responsive without being intrusive.

@@Luke has said that more filters are something they are interested in. No idea as to when though.

BAlGaInTl

Plexiles... I like it.

I'm a convert as well, although I got out before the privacy changes... I had to really chuckle yesterday about the news of the News "feature"... I can see where that is going. 

I left primarily because of the Live TV/DVR development pace. 

Emby was a way for me to reduce my Plex/TVHeadend/Kodi setup to a single ecosystem while still getting all of the major features I was using.

There have been some bumps along the way, but I must say that I've enjoyed the experience much more than Plex.

• Like 1