Coming from Plex: Wishlist

gcalaway

I am new to Emby from many years with Plex and I have been using the service for a few days now. Overall I like it a lot, and I have been having issues with Plex recently (as I am sure others have) and Emby is looking very appealing. There are a few things I love a lot more about the interface than Plex, and a few things I wish were there...

• Killing a stream- The ability to kill a remote stream would be an amazing addition
  • Hiding a folder from the "On Deck" of the dashboard- For example I have a folder for HEVC movies and one for x264 movies. If I play one of the films that I have two versions of it has both of them in the "On Deck". If not a  hiding option, possibly displaying the folder name on one of the corners of the artwork to distinguish??
  • More detailed/visible logging- I know that a lot of people are asking for a full fledged Plexpy (i would love that too) the ability to see in a simple layout view a few statistics would at least personally, make managing a media server a lot easier

1) User IP address

2) Client type (i.e. iphone, chrome, xbox one, etc)

3) Playback type: If Direct Play or Transcode, if Transcode what was the playback quality vs original (video and audio)

4) List of / sort most active users (by play-count)

I am still setting up my library and getting used to Emby so some of the things I mentioned could be in a place I have not seen yet. I am very pleased so far though and highly considering a paid/lifetime membership  :D

• Like 1

One other thing I just thought of, although not SUPER pressing as there are other ways of going about it, the ability to download media from the server natively in the app was great for Plex for going on a plane or a trip and a way to "sync" media with a local device from inside Emby would be very awesome as well.

Hi @@gcalaway.

Killing a stream should now possible via the remote control options in the Emby dashboard, via the STOP button against an in-progress viewing session.

I have never understood the Plex term of "On Deck", but I guess the equivalent in Emby is "Next Up", which shows the next episode to watch.

PlexPy for Emby has been suggested many times before, but the dev doesn't want to port it to Emby. Most of the other information is already available in the Dashboard during playback, although IP address isn't one of them.

@@reggi is delevoping a STATISTICS plugin for historical data, so perhaps he could add in remote playback and which IP, if that data is available.

You can already download/sync content to your device via the corresponding platform app.

Hope that helps, but please ask more if not.

:)

He could also try the cover art plugin to help distinguish between two different versions of a media item with different encodings.

Thanks for the replies!

I see how to kill a stream now, it must have been right in front of my face! Is this a premiere only thing though? I just upgraded later after posting last night so mayyyybe I did not have access before.

On deck and next up are the same

I was seeing that bringing plexpy over is highly unlikely, and I have been using @@reggi Statistics; they are overall, really solid. I guess I will go to his thread to discuss these little implementations to see if they are possible!

For downloading/syncing I am still having some issues.... i feel like I am just overlooking or missing something. When I select "sync" on my phone (iphone) it tells me that I do not have any apps that support offline downloading? I have checked in my settings and it shows that Downloading, and Downloading with Transcoding are both permitted. Am I missing a plugin or am I selecting the wrong option?

@@chef With the cover art plugin are you able to change multiples at one time? I would prefer to keep all art the same but would be willing to do it this way (i guess) as long as I don't have to go in and change a few hundred pieces of cover art individually.

Thanks again!!

**** I replied without triple checking... When I was referring to my "On Deck" issues I was referring to the "Continue Watching" section of Emby, not the "Next Up"  :ph34r:

I see how to kill a stream now, it must have been right in front of my face! Is this a premiere only thing though?

No, that is not restricted to Premiere only.

adrianwi

I'm another Plex Exile and one of the things I've missed, well actually my daughter, over the last few days is the Smart Playlists.  I could easily setup playlists for Disney films, or films with a U certificate, or Kids TV shows, so she only had to look in a few places.  I used a few for recently added stuff that I hadn't watched, such as unwatched films from 2016.  

There are probably other ways I could do this, but Smart Playlists were pretty simple and would be a great addition to emby.

• Like 4

arrbee99

I'm another Plex Exile and one of the things I've missed, well actually my daughter, over the last few days is the Smart Playlists.  I could easily setup playlists for Disney films, or films with a U certificate, or Kids TV shows, so she only had to look in a few places.  I used a few for recently added stuff that I hadn't watched, such as unwatched films from 2016.  

There are probably other ways I could do this, but Smart Playlists were pretty simple and would be a great addition to emby.

Not sure if this  https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Parental%20controls would help for your daughter.

and Movies does have suggestions / because you watched type stuff.

Smart Playlists do sound better though.

• Like 1

Smart Playlists would be a cool feature to bring over. One thing I am realizing now as I am running it for more time... Is there a way to make Emby scan for new media whenever something new is added? I am running on unraid and some of the things I have seen said there may not be that feature on all server platforms? Is this something that could be added or something that could be done another way?

• Like 1

arrbee99

Don't know about this unraid thingy, but on a normal Windows 10 setup the server usually spots new stuff within about a minute of it being added for me. Sometimes I go to the dashboard > scheduled tasks and update whatever I fancy at the time.

As far as I know (as an ordinary user), all servers have the same features, though they might not all be updated at the same time.

the feature of realtime file monitoring is dependant on OS and filesystem, i think there is not a definitive list tho on what works and what does not

adrianwi

I've been fixing some incorrectly tagged files and realised that Collections might provide a workaround for Smart Playlists.  The only problem with Collections is that you can't sort them once stuff has been added.  I needed to make several passes through the Movie library to create about 20 Collections, and it would be really good to sort these in various ways, for example, by name (for my Disney Collection) or by date (for my 007 Collection, so they are in order of release!)

arrbee99

Don't know if you've used the Auto Box Sets plug-in, which will do some things that you want. It'll create a Bond Box set automatically, but not stuff like Disney. Maybe this will help if you're creating Collections by hand...

59c9cdf94e070_EmbySortTab.jpg

...the Sort Title item may help.

Far as I know Emby will sort your movies by release date automatically, but won't sort items in collections by release date...

59c9cececaf2c_EmbySortTab1.jpg

Edited by arrbee99
  • Like 1

I've been fixing some incorrectly tagged files and realised that Collections might provide a workaround for Smart Playlists.  The only problem with Collections is that you can't sort them once stuff has been added.  I needed to make several passes through the Movie library to create about 20 Collections, and it would be really good to sort these in various ways, for example, by name (for my Disney Collection) or by date (for my 007 Collection, so they are in order of release!)

Pretty sure this is already possible

EDIT: yea definitely already possible . i have 007 collection sorted by release date and star wars by sort title so that they all appear in order with rogue one appearing between ep 3 & 4

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

Cover art will bulk treat your folder images beaded on the criteria you set up in the configuration.

You can make some fairly basic cover images in which a coloured banner is added to the top of the primary image which shows encoding.

I believe there is ever a way to create you own custom treatments.

aspdend

Smart Playlists would be a cool feature to bring over. One thing I am realizing now as I am running it for more time... Is there a way to make Emby scan for new media whenever something new is added? I am running on unraid and some of the things I have seen said there may not be that feature on all server platforms? Is this something that could be added or something that could be done another way?

All my media is stored on my UnRAID server and Emby picks up my new media normally within a minute of it being deposited on the server...

All my media is stored on my UnRAID server and Emby picks up my new media normally within a minute of it being deposited on the server...

Does it require for you to finish the total upload before it scans? This could be my problem as this is the final part of my library and is a rather large upload of about 20 shows. It would be nice if it did a scan every time there was a new file/change detected but if it needs to have the total upload completed thats not the end of the world.

mastrmind11

Does it require for you to finish the total upload before it scans? This could be my problem as this is the final part of my library and is a rather large upload of about 20 shows. It would be nice if it did a scan every time there was a new file/change detected but if it needs to have the total upload completed thats not the end of the world.

Yes, the initial library scan has to complete, then it's on a per file basis.  If it didn't wait for the initial scan to complete, everything would be new negate the need for the initial scan in the first place.

Sorry if I was unclear, or maybe I am not understanding.... let me explain better and hopefully we can figure out what is happening. I have completed my "initial" scan. I was migrating to a new server at the same time and have been a plex user. I decided to start emby up as i waited for my final unraid hdd to preclear and format to the array. I then started another (and final) file upload to my server that is almost 6TB. Of that, currently 4TB are completely uploaded.... HOWEVER, if I go to my emby server and search for one of the files from the completed 4TB of this upload (that is still taking place) it will not detect any of the files that have already uploaded from this transfer. There is metadata for them and I can search for them, but no seasons or episodes are found. Given, this is a somewhat rare occurrence as uploads/transfers of this size do not happen everyday, however there are times for example I might want to upload an entire show or something (hundreds of GB) and i would like to be able to start watching the show before it finishes (or multiple movies, etc).  

Sorry if I was unclear, or maybe I am not understanding.... let me explain better and hopefully we can figure out what is happening. I have completed my "initial" scan. I was migrating to a new server at the same time and have been a plex user. I decided to start emby up as i waited for my final unraid hdd to preclear and format to the array. I then started another (and final) file upload to my server that is almost 6TB. Of that, currently 4TB are completely uploaded.... HOWEVER, if I go to my emby server and search for one of the files from the completed 4TB of this upload (that is still taking place) it will not detect any of the files that have already uploaded from this transfer. There is metadata for them and I can search for them, but no seasons or episodes are found. Given, this is a somewhat rare occurrence as uploads/transfers of this size do not happen everyday, however there are times for example I might want to upload an entire show or something (hundreds of GB) and i would like to be able to start watching the show before it finishes (or multiple movies, etc).  

You could always run a scan manually in that instance.

The server is smart enough to not start a scan while more file changes are occurring because the net effect of that will be that scan needs to be cancelled and a new one started and, before long, your Emby Server is needlessly thrashing around starting and stopping scans.

• Like 1

Thanks @@ebr this is different than I am used to and not "optimal" to me in EVERY instance; however, I am happy to know it is working properly and I can suck it up and click a few things those rare times it happens moving forward  :D  thanks for letting me know and still enjoying emby a lot!

Is it only possible to stop a stream on an "locally made" client??? I am looking at a personal stream and it can be stopped but another account not managed locally can not be? Apple tv is the client if that changes anything