Client Hardware - Cable Box Replacement (updated 11-04-2018)

pir8radio

Currently, the only trouble we are having with the remote is that it is so small it tends to get lost. Additionally, I need a remote that can turn the tv off and on as well as control the Mibox and the Emby app. I will have to check out the FLIRC USB dongle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pir8radio

Currently, the only trouble we are having with the remote is that it is so small it tends to get lost. Additionally, I need a remote that can turn the tv off and on as well as control the Mibox and the Emby app. I will have to check out the FLIRC USB dongle.

I really like the flirc thing....  Yea it would be nice if you didn't have to buy a new piece of hardware... But its pretty neat that you can use ANY remote... And i like the directv remotes because it has the power/volume for the tv, and the rest of the buttons for the "device".   It's been working pretty well for us.  If you use a different remote, post the flirc config you end up with in my other flirc post.  

Edited by pir8radio

I really like the flirc thing.... Yea it would be nice if you didn't have to buy a new piece of hardware... But its pretty neat that you can use ANY remote... And i like the directv remotes because it has the power/volume for the tv, and the rest of the buttons for the "device". It's been working pretty well for us. If you use a different remote, post the flirc config you end up with in my other flirc post.

My wife has been saying that she wants real remotes instead of keyboard/touch pads at our HTPCs anyway. I was thinking of testing A harmony 650 IR remote on my HTPC in my living room (cheaper so I want mind if my kids brick it) . If it is compatible with out applications and systems (ET, Kodi, windows, droid TV, Emby app, smart TV), and adopted well by my family I would likely want to get the same remote for all 3 HTPC playback locations. From reading up on it I think the harmony remotes should work well with Emby Theatre and Kodi on windows and the FLIRC dongle.

mastrmind11

CEC isn't an option for you?

• 3 weeks later...

I just read a post with someone using a shield, they have a similar complaint. 

For Live TV, the bar is set. The Comcast box. If the user experience doesn't at least come near to that, it's a fail. I feel like many people are making allowances because it's an app. Live TV needs to be Power On and there's TV, or at least a functioning guide. The guide doesn't even advance. I mean, come on! The basics aren't even there! I was expecting something like how it is in Theater, but it's not even close.

WMC with extenders has been doing this for 10 years now with Harmony Remotes. I just went from a 900 to an elite with Hub to incorporate Alexa into the mix. Works great!

Due to DRM and the fact that WMC works so well for "old" tech I'm only looking into a client player for TV Shows and Movies via Emby with support for frame rate switching and lossless audio passthrough even though my AVR doesn't support DTS x or Atmos at the present time so I need to pass the MA or TrueHD stream in those cases.

Will the MiBox suit this purpose?

TIA

Jdiesel

WMC with extenders has been doing this for 10 years now with Harmony Remotes. I just went from a 900 to an elite with Hub to incorporate Alexa into the mix. Works great!

Due to DRM and the fact that WMC works so well for "old" tech I'm only looking into a client player for TV Shows and Movies via Emby with support for frame rate switching and lossless audio passthrough even though my AVR doesn't support DTS x or Atmos at the present time so I need to pass the MA or TrueHD stream in those cases.

Will the MiBox suit this purpose?

TIA

Nope I don't believe the MiBox will do either of those. Shield TV will though.

pir8radio

And I'm right back where I started.. Either a GPU or a Shield.

Yea this MiBox review was for general cable box or "other" TV's in the house,  My home theater uses an Alienware Alpha and it passes atmos and others just fine to my receiver, its very quiet, not to large, I'm pretty happy with it..  But yea, shield is cheaper and probably just as good. 

BAlGaInTl

is it true that the MiBox is only WiFi and no Ethernet :mellow:

I believe that is true, but can be rectified with an inexpensive USB adapter.

francisuk1989

I believe that is true, but can be rectified with an inexpensive USB adapter.

USB adapter :huh: really looks like they never thought of a case where someone with a MiBox is happy watching there "Wedding Movie" and someone with some wireless knowledge can kick clients off using a deauth command...cmon use your head  :lol: 

pir8radio

USB adapter :huh: really looks like they never thought of a case where someone with a MiBox is happy watching there "Wedding Movie" and someone with some wireless knowledge can kick clients off using a deauth command...cmon use your head  :lol:

Well, let's hope most people update their router/AP firmware, 802.11W has been out since like 2011, which protects from rouge deauth frames (among others). But I don't know if the mixbox nic supports it, guess I could test.

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

I've just started using the chronecast in the mibox, for live TV. It's so much better than the ATV app. Playback starts MUCH faster.

• Like 2

Guest asrequested

I've just enabled using vlc for live TV. Playback takes two seconds to start. It directplays. Excellent!

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
BAlGaInTl

I have to say, I'm loving my mibox. I'm now using it exclusively in my bedroom.

I want to give the MiBox a shot... but I'd have to justify buying another TV to justify it...

That would not pass the Wife test at all.

:)

Guest asrequested

I want to give the MiBox a shot... but I'd have to justify buying another TV to justify it...

That would not pass the Wife test at all.

:)

Black Friday approaches :D

I have to agree. The Mibox is working like a champ for us in the master bedroom.

I was having a little trouble with it on my wifi. I ended up noticing that on wireless AC the device was only getting 24Mbps. After performing additional testing I found that the device is setup for 2.4 GHz networks and is not stable on an HT40 width network. I set my 2.4 GHz network to HT20 and the device was then showing over 300Mbps.

I also suppress multicast and broadcast traffic on my wifi and have noticed that the remote control app on my phone won't connect to it. I am going to start testing a harmony remote with a FLIRC adapter. If this works well with my family I will see if this is possible with the Mibox.

The rest of my family has noticed that the device became a lot more responsive in the last month or two.

Edited by Tur0k
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well I just started running the mi box 3 i bought through the WAP ( wife approval process ) It came with vudu installed and for some reason vudu was crashing at random times when not being used. I removed that hopefully it will make it through WAP. Otherwise though i like it enough, the remote is simple to use and bluetooth so after initial power up ( which i think it needs to use IR at first but i could be wrong ) it can be mounted behind the tv and out of sight.

With Amazon's recent changes the fire tv to me is garbage, having a device that turns into a paperweight because it looses internet connection is idiotic to me. I made sure to inform amazon how i felt about it, they offered a discount for a fire tv i laughed a little and asked if it would also turn into a paperweight when the internet goes out and i think i got a blank stare from over the phone.

I also have a combination rj45 / usb3 hub on the way for the mi box. Not thrilled with its 8gb of storage but i dont know if i will run out either all my phones have been 8gigs.

• 3 months later...
Guest asrequested

I bit the bullet.....I bought an Nvidia Shield TV. BUT....I got myself a bit of a nice deal :)

5b19f260a1d60_Snapshot_110.jpg

5b19f29077f50_Snapshot_111.jpg

• Like 5