Client Hardware - Cable Box Replacement (updated 11-04-2018)

pir8radio

CBers

I bit the bullet.....I bought an Nvidia Shield TV. BUT....I got myself a bit of a nice deal :)

@

Whoo-Hoo :D

And, how is it ??

FrostByte

I bit the bullet.....I bought an Nvidia Shield TV. BUT....I got myself a bit of a nice deal :)

Can you share where you got one at that price?  Was it new, or refurbished?

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

@Whoo-Hoo :DAnd, how is it ??

I don't have it yet. Just ordered it. It shipped, today.

Guest asrequested

Can you share where you got one at that price?  Was it new, or refurbished?

I got it on Amazon. I got lucky. Right after I bought it, it jumped up to $198 + tax & shipping. If it had been any more than I paid, I wouldn't have bought it.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

6 month of moaning for nothing?

Lol. I always said it was a good device, just not worth paying $200 for it. I still think that.

Sammy

@Doofus 

Inquiring minds want to know what you paid?

I got a 2015 16Gb on eBay earlier this year for $129, no tax and shipped. No remote or controller but who cares? I have Harmony Elite / Hub for that!

I saw that BestBuy eBay store had them new for $150 for a while but not any more. I haven't seen one near $150 for a while and feel pretty good about nailing it at $129 and have had no issues with the used unit.

Guest asrequested

@Doofus 

Inquiring minds want to know what you paid?

I got a 2015 16Gb on eBay earlier this year for $129, no tax and shipped. No remote or controller but who cares? I have Harmony Elite / Hub for that!

I saw that BestBuy eBay store had them new for $150 for a while but not any more. I haven't seen one near $150 for a while and feel pretty good about nailing it at $129 and have had no issues with the used unit.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50444-client-hardware-cable-box-replacement/?p=586063

Sammy

5b19f260a1d60_Snapshot_110.jpg

5b19f29077f50_Snapshot_111.jpg

Sweet Deal!

2017 model?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest asrequested

Got it! Installed it! It's looking good, so far. It's smaller than I thought. That's a plus. 

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

@@ebr what hardware acceleration is being enabled for the Shield? I ask because I get the same issues playing some of my HDR movies that I get using my GTX 1050 with cuda copyback. This is with mpv, but if I use nvdec copyback, it's perfect. I don't know if the Shield supports nvdec, or not.

CBers

@ I'd start with any HARDWARE Acceleration on the server turned off and use the internal exoplayer for playback on the Shield.

Also set the Max Bitrate in the settings on the Shield to 100, as AUTO limits it to 80 for some reason.

I have no issues playing HDR content with it set up this way.

Are you running the beta ATV app?

Can I suggest creating a new thread in the relevant ATV forum rather than continuing here in the hardware forum.

Guest asrequested

@ I'd start with any HARDWARE Acceleration on the server turned off and use the internal exoplayer for playback on the Shield.

Also set the Max Bitrate in the settings on the Shield to 100, as AUTO limits it to 80 for some reason.

I have no issues playing HDR content with it set up this way.

Are you running the beta ATV app?

Can I suggest creating a new thread in the relevant ATV forum rather than continuing here in the hardware forum.

I don't have hardware acceleration available in the server. I've set it to max bitrate. It has nothing to do with those. It's specific to cuda. It's an Nvidia issue. I was looking for more options. Not a big deal, as I won't really be using the shield for 4k HDR.

CBers

I don't have hardware acceleration available in the server. I've set it to max bitrate. It has nothing to do with those. It's specific to cuda. It's an Nvidia issue. I was looking for

more options. Not a big deal, as I won't really be using the shield for 4k HDR.

I just setup my Shield, and comparing it to the MiBox, there isn't much difference when playing media. The start up time is the same, it plays all the same files. responsiveness is comparable.

It does have wider audio support, if you choose to use it with surround sound, but if you're only using your stereo TV, it's just the same as the MiBox.

I just hooked up the MiBox to my HDR display, and played a 4k HDR movie. Perfect playback (see pic)

So why did you buy the Shield then ??

I thought you were replacing your MiBox with the Shield ??

If you're just connecting it to a TV with no audio receiver, then I'm confused as to your requirements.

Guest asrequested

So why did you buy the Shield then ??I thought you were replacing your MiBox with the Shield ??If you're just connecting it to a TV with no audio receiver, then I'm confused as to your requirements.

I was just testing it. I'm not continuing to use the mibox. My htpc is still far superior. The shield is for the bedroom, it can't be used for my home theater.

tdiguy

So when it comes to actual media playback the primary difference is superior audio on the shield?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

So when it comes to actual media playback the primary difference is superior audio on the shield?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Because it has more strength, interpolation is a little better. It does have smoother operation, but there isn't a major difference between them. I still get occasional pausing when watching live TV with Expolayer. I don't have buyer's remorse as I bought it cheap. Had I paid full price, I'd be annoyed. But this may all be down to Expolayer and not the shield. It's hard to tell. It's certainly no where near my HTPC. If you want an Android box for home theater, shield is the way to go, but just for a tv, meh.

Sammy

What about loading an external player such as MX Player with the appropriate Codex installed?

Trekster

Because it has more strength, interpolation is a little better. It does have smoother operation, but there isn't a major difference between them. I still get occasional pausing when watching live TV with Expolayer. I don't have buyer's remorse as I bought it cheap. Had I paid full price, I'd be annoyed. But this may all be down to Expolayer and not the shield. It's hard to tell. It's certainly no where near my HTPC. If you want an Android box for home theater, shield is the way to go, but just for a tv, meh.

I went through the same process. In the end i ended with the Shield among other strengths are the support from nVidia and the continuing of updates to the unit.

I have had way too many Android devices where the product was never updated or lagged so much behind that it didn't matter in the end.

Among those prime examples is my Sony Android TV.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

CBers

Not sure what your setup is, but I can't believe you're still having issues with the Shield.

Why are you not using MPV for Live TV as has been suggested many times ??

I have no issues with my Sheld and 4K HDR content, or Atmos audio, so I'm really at a loss to suggest things for you.

And as a PS, I'd never go back to a HTPC. Too much can go wrong with them and always need constant tinkering.

Guest asrequested

Not sure what your setup is, but I can't believe you're still having issues with the Shield.

Why are you not using MPV for Live TV as has been suggested many times ??

I have no issues with my Sheld and 4K HDR content, or Atmos audio, so I'm really at a loss to suggest things for you.

And as a PS, I'd never go back to a HTPC. Too much can go wrong with them and always need constant tinkering.

Well, let me be clear. The shield is a good device. Is it better than the MiBox? Yes. Is it much better than the MiBox? No. The shield does the job for which I've employed it... connected to my bedroom TV. It is impossible for it to replace my HTPC. Too many reasons to post, here.

This thread is about Android boxes being used for live TV. For that purpose, the difference is negligible.