Slow channel changing

sbm7815

@@meep what apps did you try because Emby Theater for Windows and Emby for Android mobile should start up pretty quickly as they can just direct play it.

@@meep what apps did you try because Emby Theater for Windows and Emby for Android mobile should start up pretty quickly as they can just direct play it.

Hi @@Luke

Thanks for the response.

I tried web client on OSX (there no OSX equivalent of Theater?), the iOS app and the Emby app on my Amazon FireTV. All exhibited painfully slow live TV tuning.

I'll try installing the Android App on my phone to see how that performs.

Do you think direct play will eventually make it's way to the other apps & platforms? It's really the only thing left preventing me making the move from Kodi to Emby for all my clients.

there is no web browser that supports mpeg2video or the mpegts container, so as long as your live tv contains any of those then they won't direct play. The others are things that we can improve, yes.

• 2 months later...
zombiefly

hi,

i have this problem too.

i use iptv in emby server. if i browse the server in a web browser, go to guide, select a channel then it takes a few seconds to start playing. 

If i use emby theatre on any machine, then changing channels from the tv guide takes up to a minute. after that it either stops completely (still image) returns to the guide or plays. 

if i connect to the same service via the raspberry pi, the guide works perfectly.

if i play content from my server (stored in the movie libraries) in emby theatre, everything is fine (using direct stream)....

after reading for a while in the forums i don't hold out much hope for a fix, unless i'm missing something....

Edited by zombiefly

hi,

i have this problem too.

i use iptv in emby server. if i browse the server in a web browser, go to guide, select a channel then it takes a few seconds to start playing. 

If i use emby theatre on any machine, then changing channels from the tv guide takes up to a minute. after that it either stops completely (still image) returns to the guide or plays. 

if i connect to the same service via the raspberry pi, the guide works perfectly.

if i play content from my server (stored in the movie libraries) in emby theatre, everything is fine (using direct stream)....

after reading for a while in the forums i don't hold out much hope for a fix, unless i'm missing something....

hi there @@zombiefly, can we please look at an example? please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

sure no problem

i made a video of the web browser live tv guide/select channel vs. the same in emby theatre.

you can see the browser is fast, theatre takes over a minute (i stopped recording but it did eventually start playing)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mSOXk4ctO2jwQkLp2

logs attached

In this case it tries to direct play, then has an error and has to switch to transcoding. can you send me a sample m3u over PM? Thanks.

zombiefly

In this case it tries to direct play, then has an error and has to switch to transcoding. can you send me a sample m3u over PM? Thanks.

aha! i've sent you a PM with an example

thanks

It seemed to play OK for me and started up within five seconds. In my case I did not see any transcoding.

zombiefly

this is interesting. i've installed server on my main windows 10 pc and connected theatre to it from the same pc, it's working.

i'll continue testing... will try it from a client machine now

zombiefly

ok. I have a working solution now, here's my findings

1. install emby server and theatre (desktop) on win10 pc. theatre plays live tv fine from server on same machine

2. install emby theatre (desktop) on another pc, connect to emby server on win10 pc, live tv won't stream. same as before.

3. install emby theatre (windows store version) on another pc, connect to emby server on win10 pc, live tv streams with no issue

4. connect emby theatre (windows store version) to original server, live tv streams with no issue.

there is something different with the desktop version, but this isn't a problem as I can use the Win10 store version. 

I've PM'd the logs for the failed point 2 above, the log should contain evidence of the desktop version failure, followed by the win10 app success if that helps at all.

• 2 weeks later...
kikinjo

I have very similar issue, setup iptv provider, try with web app works fine, try with emby theater store version works fine.

Emby desktop version (which i use the most) no stream at all, loading for ages, ET hangs, or stream loads after 5+ minutes. Mainly ET desktop crashing and spinning unresponsively. looked at logs and sometime it starts direct sometimes starts a transcode, ut no stream only spining circle.

The biggest mystery is why is working in web normal. Same server, same iptv provider,

Will gather logs and post.

Edited by kikinjo

I have very similar issue, setup iptv provider, try with web app works fine, try with emby theater store version works fine.

Emby desktop version (which i use the most) no stream at all, loading for ages, ET hangs, or stream loads after 5+ minutes. Mainly ET desktop crashing and spinning unresponsively. looked at logs and sometime it starts direct sometimes starts a transcode, ut no stream only spining circle.

The biggest mystery is why is working in web normal. Same server, same iptv provider,

Will gather logs and post.

Yes please do that, thanks.

• 3 months later...
beaglenz

I too am disappointed with the slow channel changing in Emby. I have tried HDHomerun, VU+ over the network and the Hauppage tuners connected directly to the host server with no improvement in the Internal player channel change speed.

When I switch to VLC as an external player it is almost instantaneous. Not the most elegant solution as the Internal play offers full functionality while in play mode.

I have tried both Android (NV Shield & fTV) and AppleTV clients to test speed of loading new channels and both are slow.

Edited by beaglenz

beaglenz

Hi Luke

I have just sent the logs from my NV Shield through to you.

I am also having trouble with audio playing AC3 files but one problem at a time I guess.

emby log files.zip

Edited by beaglenz

I have just sent the logs from my NV Shield through to you.

Hi.  Can you please provide the information requested here:

Reproduce your problem and then use this button to send the log.  Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

• 2 years later...
Mohammednt0

any update on this issue ?, Emby channel changing is very very slow on Nvidia Shield TV, I used IPTV app on android and it worked very fast almost instantly

please advise 

1 minute ago, Mohammednt0 said:

Emby channel changing is very very slow on Nvidia Shield TV,

Hi.  We are working on overall improvements in the system but, on my Shield, if I have "Direct Play Live TV" selected, I can switch channels in under a second.

Mohammednt0

20 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We are working on overall improvements in the system but, on my Shield, if I have "Direct Play Live TV" selected, I can switch channels in under a second.

i just tried, it still takes 30 seconds to start !!, any advice ?

Are they transcoding?  To have any ideas we'd have to look at a specific example.