Live TV With Subs Doesnt Play

Spaceboy

Right, but i thought this was media portal iptv. Notice in ebr's post #45:

I'm still testing with your IPTV stream.

Are we mixing multiple issues in one topic here?

PremiumRed

Hi,

These issues happen on cheap chinese android tv boxes and with true android sony tv.

I only use m3u tuners which has always worked perfectly.

Is it easier for me to give you access to my account and server to see these issues?

Regarding cheap tv boxes, why don’t you remove android mobile compatibility from android tv app to force everything to be full screen?

Every other android tv app is perfect on these boxes, only emby for android tv has issues

UPDATE: I use official Android TV SDK on these boxes so the hardware shouldnt be the issue no?

That's the SDK we are using.

Hi,

Is it easier for me to give you access to my account and server to see these issues?

if you provide access then yes i will test. thanks.

Spaceboy

Right, but i thought this was media portal iptv. Notice in ebr's post #45:

I'm still testing with your IPTV stream.
Are we mixing multiple issues in one topic here?
[emoji3]I’m not mixing multiple issues but someone here is!

No seriously, its mediaportal. It’s always been mediaportal. I corrected @@ebr in the following post, #46. More importantly there are no subs in iptv. This is the first of the issues you asked me to post about in relation to external live tv.

Actually it’s another issue that resulted from the decision to always stream copy .ts

More importantly there are no subs in iptv. 

Some of your channels do report that they have subtitles - although none of them are actually there.

Spaceboy

Some of your channels do report that they have subtitles - although none of them are actually there.

fair enough, I haven’t noticed that.

So what can we do? Would you like me to enable the Guest account again? I am trying to get this to work on FTV remotely so you’ll be simulating my setup perfectly

I know you don't want to hear this :) but, right now, this is such an edge case that we cannot spend further time on it at this point.  We are want to get our Live TV features up to par and we have to concentrate on our internal implementation first.

You started out on our internal system and then moved to external services, right?  Can you list out why you did that?  I'd rather we spend time getting our internal Live TV working for you than trying to work through all these difficult permutations with external moving parts.

Thanks.

Spaceboy

I know you don't want to hear this :) but, right now, this is such an edge case that we cannot spend further time on it at this point.  We are want to get our Live TV features up to par and we have to concentrate on our internal implementation first.

You started out on our internal system and then moved to external services, right?  Can you list out why you did that?  I'd rather we spend time getting our internal Live TV working for you than trying to work through all these difficult permutations with external moving parts.

Thanks.

I'm not surprised to hear you say that, it is exactly what you said the previous time. however, i think you do yourself a disservice by describing this as an edge case.

I actually started out using DVBLink having had a perfectly working install for many years with WMC. HD channels with dual audio didnt work well with Emby on Android tv although they have always been working fine on android mobile. After a while you claimed the use of that was an edge case and couldnt be supported so i tried something else. i moved to MediaPortal and the issues with HD channels were identical. I chose MediaPortal because it was much better supported by @punktchen. Again MediaPortal is / has been running extremely smoothly for a couple of years now. Then I amongst a few others posted about inconsistent seeking with .ts and you implemented a fix for that which forces all .ts to be played through the server which does give much better seek stability. unfortunately the unintended impact of that was that subtitles, watching in progress recordings, direct playing live tv all got broken to one extent or another. These have all been posted about but none have been completed. In this thread you even identified the issue a couple of pages ago but now you claim it to be an edge case. i can't correlate that. 

So i gave up on external live tv. i got a iptv provider and for the most part that is good. there is still a lot to be done with regard to channel management and other functionality which has long been available in these external services and there doesnt really seem to be any concerted drive to attack this so its a little sore that i have a perfectly working MediaPortal server running with all this but not compatible with Emby.

The reason why we are looking into this again is that a user posted about external live tv and emby. based on my experience i had to tell him it wasnt good. luke asked me to inform him of the issues i felt were outstanding with external live tv and i told him i had previously written them all up but that i would resurrect them for his attention. i've provided numerous logs as requested and i was hoping to tackle the issues one by one.

Its one of the reasons that i have previously posted about the need to track issues better. whether there is an attempt on your part to identify themes or common root causes its not working as well as it could. this https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/52636-will-direct-playback-of-live-tv-ever-come-back/&do=findComment&comment=508964 is only yesterday from punktchen, the developer of the mediaportal plugin. even he has issues with emby and has told me does not use emby for live tv. the root cause here is exactly the same as the two i have raised.

finally I don't mean to be disrespectful but it really doesnt feel like you have spent that much time looking at this. that stands separately from me understanding that this isn't a priority for you. the fact that neither you or luke even appreciated that this was a mediaportal issue doesnt really speak to close interogation of logs. equally i have continually offered the chance to connect your client to my server and see it live but you havent taken any up. i can understand that it may not be a priority for development but i would hope that spending a bit of time to understand the cause might be warranted. it might not be as complicated as you think?

so rather than saying this in an edge case i really think you should describe most external tv providers as "experimental" as you do with quick sync and other things that are available but not a priority to fix.

for my part i think i will try nextpvr as it seems with the m3u functionality that i have seen others posting about there is much better compatibility with emby. the external services are so much more functional than emby that i can't give up on them yet.

• Like 1

maegibbons

Wow!  I think you are competing with Leo Tolstoy for post length! :)

Actually, extremely well written and puts your point over very well indeed!

Well done @@Spaceboy.

Krs

Mark

• Like 2

pünktchen

Some words from my side regarding "edge case": almost every time something isn't working with live tv, you @@ebr are answering it must be due to the external live tv service and then just quit!

But this isn't the case. For example the direct playback problem i've reported the last days i can reproduce with four different live tv plugins (DVBViewer, DVBLink, MediaPortal and TVHeadend. I'm sure it will also happen with WMC and NextPVR)

in your Android TV app. But it's working great with the mobile app! So it is not tied to the external live tv service, but your app. You should really show some more love for your (paying) app users that don't have a HDHR.

• Like 1